Author Topic: Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805)!  (Read 25769 times)

snyprrr

Re: Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805)!
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
I searched "boccherini quintet minor". got @275 listings, and got only about 20 discs of straight up String Quintets. The one ongoing cycle didn't show up on this search, though, but, bedises that, I can't imagine only about 20 discs of Bocch. String Quintets.

There were the two Lester/Hyperion, the Peterson, and CBS, Biondi, a few Bylsmer(?), a couple of odd balls, some Naxos, I mean, there wasn't a whole gaggle. Can this be right?

Offline Sorin Eushayson

• Classical Music Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
Boccherini's definitely one of my favourite Classical-era composers. He has a knack for turning chamber music into something much, much more.

Yes, it's a wonderful piece. I have a couple versions of it, but this is my undoubted favorite:

Savall & Co. make you feel like you are there... :)

That's my favourite Boccherini album!  Here's what Savall does with the famous La Musica Notturna Delle Strade Di Madrid for those curious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDeFsUuYho

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Below is a post just left in Gurn's Classical Thread - appropriate here also - early cello compositions by Luigi when he was a 'traveling virtuoso' - some fine playing and a cheap purchase!  :D

Boccherini, Luigi (1743-1805) - Cello Sonatas w/ Luigi Puxeddu et al; 4-CD set on a bargain Brilliant Box (discs listed below w/ the Yves Gerard, i.e. G numbers and dates of composition); these were composed when Luigi was in his 20s, and many while a traveling virtuoso cellist  and composer.

The compositions are listed as Cello Solos w/ Basso Continuo, which was mainly w/ a second cello (likely a son & father performance early, or w/ others later?); in these performances, a second cello is used in the base line w/ a violin or viola substituted in several of the works.

My only comparison is a single disc w/ a favorite, Anner Bylsma as the 'solo' cellist, along w/ Kenneth Slowik on the other cello and Bob van Asperen on a fortepiano; not sure the latter is appropriate in the 'early works', but is not used in most of the performances on this disc (but does sound fine!).

Preference?  Not sure after just one listening to the Brilliant set - Bylsma seems more animated, but Puxeddu has a fine melodious and legato line to his cello playing (and the sound is superb, i.e. 2007-08 recordings); this is a fine set for easy listening and the cellos sound just great together - a recommendation at the Brilliant price!

Boccherini - Cello Sonatas - Puxeddu

CD 1 -  G3 (Sonata C) c. 1766 (bc w/ cello)
         G2 (Sonata Cm) c. 1768 (bc w/ violin)
         G1 (Sonata F) c. 1768 (bc w/ cello)
         G4 (Sonata A) c. 1773 (bc w/ cello)
         G5 (Sonata G) c. 1763 (bc w/ cello)
         G4b(Sonata A) c. 1773 (bc w/ cello)
         G2b(Sonata C) c. 1768 (bc w/ cello)

CD 2 -   G6 (Sonata C) c. 1768 (bc w/ cello)
           G7 (Sonata C) c. 1767 (bc w/ cello)
           G8 (Sonata Bf) c. 1767 (bc w /cello)
           G9 (Sonata F) c. 1764 (bc w/ cello)
           G10(Sonata Ef) c. 1764 (bc w /cello)   
           G11(Sonata Ef) c. 1766 (bc w/ cello)

CD 3 -   G12(Sonata Bf) c. 1766 (bc w /cello)
           G13(Sonata A) c. 1766 (bc w/ cello)
           G14(Sonata Ef) c. 1767 (bc w/ cello)
           G15(Sonata G) c. 1768 (bc w /cello)
           G16(Sonata Ef) c. 1764 (bc w /cello)
           G17(Sonata C) c. 1772 (bc w/ cello)
           G18(Sonata Cm) c. 1767 (bc w/ viola)

CD 4 -    G565 (Sonata Bf) c. ? (bc w/ cello)
           G565b(Sonata Bf) c. ? (bc w/ cello)
           G566 (Sonata Ef) c. ? (bc w/ cello)
           G?   (Sonata Ef) c. ? (bc w/ cello)
           G?   (Sonata G) c. ? (bc w/ cello)
               G?   (Sonata A) c. ? (bc w/ cello)

snyprrr

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »
only two minors, ... huh.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
Just a repeat from a recent post in the 'Listening Thread' - just can't beat the price!  :D

Great BRO bargain just arrived - virtually no overlap w/ the works that I already own of the composer in this genre below:

Boccherini, Luigi - String Quintets w/ La Magnifica Comunita on period instruments; 6-disc set of Op. 10-11-13 for $18!  Packaged in cardboard sleeves in a thin box and a short booklet in English only.  :D

snyprrr

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
I searched "boccherini quintet minor". got @275 listings, and got only about 20 discs of straight up String Quintets. The one ongoing cycle didn't show up on this search, though, but, bedises that, I can't imagine only about 20 discs of Bocch. String Quintets.

There were the two Lester/Hyperion, the Peterson, and CBS, Biondi, a few Bylsmer(?), a couple of odd balls, some Naxos, I mean, there wasn't a whole gaggle. Can this be right?

I'm going to try another search.

I had ordered a copy of the Quatuor Apponyi cd, but the guy then said he couldn't find it,...argh...that one looked to be really exciting. Anyone have this one? I guess they only recorded that, and the Haydn Op.33, right?

Offline Grazioso

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    notes
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24:23 AM »
Just a repeat from a recent post in the 'Listening Thread' - just can't beat the price!  :D

Great BRO bargain just arrived - virtually no overlap w/ the works that I already own of the composer in this genre below:

Boccherini, Luigi - String Quintets w/ La Magnifica Comunita on period instruments; 6-disc set of Op. 10-11-13 for $18!  Packaged in cardboard sleeves in a thin box and a short booklet in English only.  :D

Any word on whether Brilliant eventually plans to offer one big box set of the quintets performed by that group?
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

snyprrr

Quartetto Esterhazy Op.32
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
I got this cheap on Amazon ($8+), my consolation prize for not getting the Apponyi (...yet!). I've already raved about their Haydn Op.20 2/4 for it's Christmassy-fireplace special warmth, and this recording was made in the same church. The Haydn only says 1988, and this says 1976 (which is definite). I suspect the Haydn is an earlier vintage, but, I don't know.

Except for the fact that this is one of those "just-too-long-for-one-cd" 2cd jobs, this is A+ all the way around. Bocch's invention can be deeper than given credit for, and there are "moments" aplenty. The typical mixing of minor and major really comes out in this set. The short Grave of No.1 (Eb)is typical. The only other SQ set I've heard with this kind of melancoly is the Op.3 of Gretry.

The g minor No.5 has a nice chugging effect in the first mvmt., and makes a nice comparison with Bocch's Op.24/6, also in g minor, from not too many years earlier. One thing to note, perhaps, is that after Haydn's Op.20 g minor, which seems like quite a large painting indeed compared to both of these smaller SQs, Bocch's status as shut off from the outside world becomes apparent. In this respect I offer up for analysis my take that Bocch is stuck in Haydn's Opp. 9/17 mode, never reaching a real stylistic breakthrough like Haydn did with Op.20 (and then Op.33, and then Op.55, and...). Either way, Op.32 here stands as a nice mate to the Opp. 9/17 for me.

I'm sure the Naxos set also delivers the goods, but the HIP factor here clicks up the Spanish Castle Magic in that baroque-y, melancoly way like nothin'. This is one of those Good For EveryOne, Happy, Make You Smile Recordings.

Now,... I'm going to have to talk to Que about how to get that Apponyi disk from Amazon France, haha! :P :-* ;D

Antoine Marchand

Re: Quartetto Esterhazy Op.32
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »
I've already raved about their Haydn Op.20 2/4 for it's Christmassy-fireplace special warmth, and this recording was made in the same church. The Haydn only says 1988, and this says 1976 (which is definite). I suspect the Haydn is an earlier vintage, but, I don't know.

I can confirm your suspicions, snyprrr, my copy of the String Quartets, Op. 20 Nos. 2 & 4 says: “Recorded at Doopsgezinde Gemeente, Amsterdam, September 1973”.

snyprrr

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:49 AM »
I can confirm your suspicions, snyprrr, my copy of the String Quartets, Op. 20 Nos. 2 & 4 says: “Recorded at Doopsgezinde Gemeente, Amsterdam, September 1973”.

aha!,...thank you.

What do you think of the group? I know they seem to be recorded with the cello at the back, but I like the kind of "music box" presentation, very quaint; and, the playing feels cozy and fireplace-y. Sometimes their playing sounds like crackling embers in a Christmas fire. I like 'em!

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
aha!,...thank you.

What do you think of the group? I know they seem to be recorded with the cello at the back, but I like the kind of "music box" presentation, very quaint; and, the playing feels cozy and fireplace-y. Sometimes their playing sounds like crackling embers in a Christmas fire. I like 'em!

I love that recording, too. It is full of certain feeling of perfect control and inner peace, as if the world were a fair and ordered place… and the sound quality provided by Wolf Erichson and his label really collaborated to those results. 

Offline Grazioso

• Veteran member
    notes
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2010, 05:35:24 AM »
FYI, fellow Boccherini fans, there's a new 5-CD Sony box set of Bylsma playing Boccherini (in the good company of Tafelmusik, Bob van Asperen, and the Kuijkens):

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:37:02 AM by Grazioso »

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2010, 06:11:40 AM »
FYI, fellow Boccherini fans, there's a new 5-CD Sony box set of Bylsma playing Boccherini (in the good company of Tafelmusik, Bob van Asperen, and the Kuijkens):

Nice! Despite the fact that I already have all 5 of those disks in various incarnations, I think I will grab that box anyway. Given the quality of the music as well as the greatest cellist around, it is a hard combination to beat. Always a good thing to encourage young artists by buying their work... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quartetto Italiano - D 703 Quartettsatz in c for Strings - Allegro assai
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »

Great offering - 17 euros on the JPC site w/ listings HERE!  I have one disc in this box but many of the other discs do not overlap my current recordings (except for some cello concertos) - don't yet see this offering at Amazon USA; JPC shipping is costly for me unless I make a BIG order!  But will add to my 'wish list' -  :D

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »
Great offering - 17 euros on the JPC site w/ listings HERE!  I have one disc in this box but many of the other discs do not overlap my current recordings (except for some cello concertos) - don't yet see this offering at Amazon USA; JPC shipping is costly for me unless I make a BIG order!  But will add to my 'wish list' -  :D

Dave,
amazon USA DO have it (just search Bylsma Boccherini and it's the 4th item on the list), but it's a hell of a lot more expensive than 17 euros! If you want it, jpc is a far better deal!

Just sayin'...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Quartetto Italiano - D 810 Quartet #14 in d for Strings 2nd mvmt - Andante con moto

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Dave,
amazon USA DO have it (just search Bylsma Boccherini and it's the 4th item on the list), but it's a hell of a lot more expensive than 17 euros! If you want it, jpc is a far better deal! ..........

Hi Gurn - well after my post, I updated my Boccherini recordings (now on my iPod) - actually I have just one of the Bylsma discs of Luigi's works, but except for a SQuartet disc I have virtually all of the other works on this 'box' covered, so will keep on my 'wish list' for the time being - may be a price drop in the future on Amazon may occur?

But I went ahead and ordered some more String Quartets not in my collection - nice price on a 2-CD set below - Dave  :D

Online Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2010, 02:59:52 PM »
Hi Gurn - well after my post, I updated my Boccherini recordings (now on my iPod) - actually I have just one of the Bylsma discs of Luigi's works, but except for a SQuartet disc I have virtually all of the other works on this 'box' covered, so will keep on my 'wish list' for the time being - may be a price drop in the future on Amazon may occur?

But I went ahead and ordered some more String Quartets not in my collection - nice price on a 2-CD set below - Dave  :D

Oh, that's looks nice. I have their Op 52 and 33 (I think), and a few other disks by that group too. Very nice. I'll have to check that one out. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Franz Schubert - D 818 Divertissement in g for Piano 4-Hands 1st mvmt - Andante

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »

Amazon.fr have it for 11 euros! Amazon.fr also has great deals on some similar box sets: Budapest Quartet plays Beethoven, Reiner conducts Strauss, Wand conducts Bruckner, Rubinstein plays Chopin, etc.

DavidW

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2010, 04:05:05 PM »
What!?  I paid that for one single Byslma Boccherini cd!  Why I'll pull a Harry!! >:(

Nah I'll just think about getting the box instead. :)

Offline Grazioso

• Veteran member
    notes
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2010, 05:09:12 AM »

I have their Op. 33 set on CPO: fine PI performances, well recorded. This should be a good one.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.