Author Topic: Ravel's Rotunda  (Read 34276 times)

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
Re: Ravel's Rotunda
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:31 PM »
I'm reading Roger Nichols' "Ravel", which is a very detailed biography of the composer. Just check this, it's priceless (about the pieces on the Mallarmé poems):

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2018, 04:02:10 AM »
I’m sure it delighted the composer. :)

It did.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2018, 06:49:06 AM »
Just found out I'll be playing the Piano Trio (on cello) at a chamber music festival I'm attending this summer! I'm quite thrilled to have the opportunity to really get inside one of my very favorite chamber works, to say the least. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
Just found out I'll be playing the Piano Trio (on cello) at a chamber music festival I'm attending this summer! I'm quite thrilled to have the opportunity to really get inside one of my very favorite chamber works, to say the least. :)

The Piano trio is truly one of Ravel's magical creations.

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2018, 02:24:20 AM »

Wow, you have my admiration if you can play such a virtuoso piece, and one of my favorites as well. Good luck!  :)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2018, 04:56:15 AM »
Wow, you have my admiration if you can play such a virtuoso piece, and one of my favorites as well. Good luck!  :)

Thanks - I shall attempt! ;D It will be a challenge, no doubt! Now to begin practicing...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »
Becoming a huge Ravel fan the last month. My entry was hearing the Daphne et Chloé from a live recording of Clemons Krauss. Absolutely out of this world music!

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:53 PM »
Becoming a huge Ravel fan the last month. My entry was hearing the Daphne et Chloé from a live recording of Clemons Krauss. Absolutely out of this world music!

Daphnis et Chloé is a benchmark in the 20th century music IMHO. Have you ever tried the Dutoit/O.S.M.? For many it's arguably the greatest recording of it.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #268 on: September 05, 2018, 05:52:33 AM »

Ironically, I find Daphne to be my least favorite work by Ravel. After I listen to it I typically have to listen to something else by Ravel to remind myself that I actually like Ravel. Lately it is the chamber music, particularly the Piano Trio and String Quartet, that resonates most with me. And, of course, the solo piano music. I also like the Bolero more than I can justify.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy - “Tragédie, Comédie”
« Reply #269 on: September 05, 2018, 06:09:52 AM »
Ironically, I find Daphne to be my least favorite work by Ravel. After I listen to it I typically have to listen to something else by Ravel to remind myself that I actually like Ravel. Lately it is the chamber music, particularly the Piano Trio and String Quartet, that resonates most with me. And, of course, the solo piano music. I also like the Bolero more than I can justify.
Very similar feelings in my case. It’s not that I dislike Daphnis, but rather that I greatly prefer many other of Ravel’s work’s...
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #270 on: September 05, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
Count me as an unabashed Daphnis lover.  Some favored recordings:

(don't let "Gramophone's choice" scare you away)

(and not earlier digital issues of this)

« Reply #271 on: September 05, 2018, 07:17:25 AM »
Count me as an unabashed Daphnis lover.  Some favored recordings:

(don't let "Gramophone's choice" scare you away)

You find something wrong with the earlier digital master of Monteux's recording. I recall the audio as being just fine.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
You find something wrong with the earlier digital master of Monteux's recording. I recall the audio as being just fine.

Yes, but not as good as the Originals issue.  It made the difference for me.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #273 on: September 05, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
Count me as an unabashed Daphnis lover.

Definitely! Not sure what the others are on about.

I have the first CD issue pictured below. It's a "straight" transfer, no modern remastering. The sound is stunning: rich and full, with plenty of warmth. Have you heard this issue, Dave, and do you have opinions on potential differences? I ask mainly because I have long-standing misgivings about what the "majors" consider "an improvement" in sound quality with these blanket remasterings. Often the strings come out sounding shrill, brittle, and unnatural to me, and what tradeoff in "clarity" (yep, in quotes) there might be doesn't make up for the deficiencies elsewhere. (Obviously it comes down to whether or not a recording is well engineered to begin with, but that's a topic for another time).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
Definitely! Not sure what the others are on about.

I have the first CD issue pictured below. It's a "straight" transfer, no modern remastering. The sound is stunning: rich and full, with plenty of warmth. Have you heard this issue, Dave, and do you have opinions on potential differences? I ask mainly because I have long-standing misgivings about what the "majors" consider "an improvement" in sound quality with these blanket remasterings. Often the strings come out sounding shrill, brittle, and unnatural to me, and what tradeoff in "clarity" (yep, in quotes) there might be doesn't make up for the deficiencies elsewhere. (Obviously it comes down to whether or not a recording is well engineered to begin with, but that's a topic for another time).

I shouldn't have said "all previous transfers".  My comments apply to The Classic Sound issue.

Dave

« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »
I shouldn't have said "all previous transfers".  My comments apply to The Classic Sound issue.

Dave

That's the one I have, the older "Historic" issue. Whether a newer master is an improvement or not varies from release to release, I find. I'm a big fan of Monteux, but the piece strikes me as too long. The second seems to contain all the stuff I like.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:20:25 AM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »