Author Topic: Bach Chamber and Instrumental music  (Read 82831 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
Re: Bach Chamber and Instrumental music
« Reply #380 on: November 23, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »
I didn't know about this organ and violin recording from Lotsberg and Nordstoga.

(Includes the version of 1019 with the keyboard solo, and yes, it works well on an organ  :))

Rewinding to this - well the good thing is it made me want to listen again, whereas up to now I've always found the music for violin and keyboard rather unremarkable, by the high standards of JS Bach.  Nordstoga is immaculate, as is the organ and the general recording and presentation of it.  The violinist by contrast does not sound a good match - somewhat un-HIP in style I think, I kept hearing irritating mannerisms, vibrato and even occasional portamento.  And yes I'd prefer him just slightly further back in the mix. 
But maybe contrast is the point - a held vibrato-less violin note and a held pipe organ note are perhaps too similar.  Still, I'd like to hear someone try it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #381 on: November 23, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
Rewinding to this - well the good thing is it made me want to listen again, whereas up to now I've always found the music for violin and keyboard rather unremarkable, by the high standards of JS Bach.  Nordstoga is immaculate, as is the organ and the general recording and presentation of it.  The violinist by contrast does not sound a good match - somewhat un-HIP in style I think, I kept hearing irritating mannerisms, vibrato and even occasional portamento.  And yes I'd prefer him just slightly further back in the mix. 
But maybe contrast is the point - a held vibrato-less violin note and a held pipe organ note are perhaps too similar.  Still, I'd like to hear someone try it.

I agree with this, th violinist is a problem for me. You can hear Alice Pierrot play it much less romantically with Martin Gester on the organ - it’s  good.

I’ve grown to love these sonatas. In my opinion they really do demand a HIP treatment.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:32:48 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
I’ve grown to love these sonatas. In my opinion they really do demand a HIP treatment.

Tend to agree. Still BTW I enjoy many pre-HIP interpretations like Lautenbacher/Galling, Szeryng/Walcha, Schneiderhan/Karl Richter and Menuhin/Malcolm.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.