Author Topic: Blind comparison: Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas  (Read 32008 times)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Blind comparison: Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
My pleasure.  And going back to your comments for a moment - Ibragimova is playing an instrument dating from 1738 and Fischer and Mullova could - possibly - both be playing the same instrument, dated 1750.  [edit to add - val Dael is playing a 'baroque violin' and Grumiaux's instrument is undocumented.]
Mullova plays her 1750 Guadagnini that she owned before her Stradivarius and which she had later returned to original baroque setup. I doubt that Fischer plays the same violin, although it does indeed appear that she has a Guadagnini of the same vintage.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »
Thanks for your hard work!

Out of the final five, I have four.  Only Ms. Van Dael is missing.   Might have to rectify that.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
My pleasure.  And going back to your comments for a moment - Ibragimova is playing an instrument dating from 1738 and Fischer and Mullova could - possibly - both be playing the same instrument, dated 1750.  [edit to add - val Dael is playing a 'baroque violin' and Grumiaux's instrument is undocumented.]

Grumiaux had a 1744 Guarnerius "la Rose", which he played on the Bach recordings.

He also had a 1727 Strad, "General Dupont".

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Grumiaux had a 1744 Guarnerius "la Rose", which he played on the Bach recordings.

He also had a 1727 Strad, "General Dupont".

But these instruments were certainly not in their original state, and could not be called period instruments.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2017, 01:28:58 AM »
Still, useful additional info for this thread, thanks Herman.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:54 AM »

The clarion call that opens Sonata 1.

Since the runners and riders were picked for this blind comparison - back at the start of 2016 - new recordings of the Sonatas & Partitas have come along at the rate of almost one per month.  The following clip, which lasts about 50 seconds, includes 8 recordings issued from 2017 or 2018 (alright, one of them was late 2016) plus two of the finalists from the blind test, playing this statement-making opening chord.  The biggest contrast is perhaps between nos.3 and 4.

10 samples

(I don't seem to be able to get the Flash player widget to work any more, or maybe it's just my browser and others will be able to see it.  Failing that, the right-hand link labelled '10 samples' should open a player if clicked.)

Some of the new versions that I've listened to seem to me to fit right in among the top 10 of those blind-tested, and some of them have already been mentioned in other threads on GMG, so I have it in mind to run a new mini-blind (short music samples, but not quite as short as above!!) pitting 12 of the new arrivals against 4 of the previous finalists.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
What can one make of such short samples ? The first impression I get is that some players seem to uncover/highlight hidden harmonics. My preference goes to simpler, purer expression: nos 3 and 5.