Author Topic: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?  (Read 265561 times)

Baron Scarpia

Re: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?
« Reply #1440 on: March 02, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
Why wouldn't they be still in business?

I don't recall having seen reference to them for a while.

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #1441 on: March 02, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
Studio or mastering work is far more important than medium, and that goes for SACDs as well.

Just bought me one of these. Will probably be my last CD/SACD device, but I don't stream and cannot be bothered to rip:

Still awaiting delivery BTW.

I enjoy ripping. What I really enjoy, though, is having all my music on a single HD (backed up on another), and all the videos, organized with fanatical precision, on a group of portable drives, connected through a hub to my Oppo. I'm never more than a few button presses away from my entire media collection. The outlay in initial effort to get the system up and running is definitely worth it. You can do it fast or slow and take years or weeks to complete it. HD space is cheap, you don't even have to add compression. My entire uncompressed music collection is 213GB, a trivial size.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0; Waterfox) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.2.6

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1442 on: March 02, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »
Says on Wikipedia

"In September 2014, Pioneer agreed to sell Pioneer Home Electronics (Home A/V) to Onkyo"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation

Spineur

« Reply #1443 on: March 02, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
Says on Wikipedia

"In September 2014, Pioneer agreed to sell Pioneer Home Electronics (Home A/V) to Onkyo"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Corporation
True, but the two brands still exist separately.  They do marketing together I believe.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #1444 on: March 02, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Analog: Get an Oracle Delphi Mk. III or later with SME V arm or GTFO.

As for me, I just turned on my Audioengine 5+ powered monitors for a second system. Very impressive for this size and price point. I will probably buy the woofer later on, but for now, they are breaking in and are quite satisfying for most music except pipe organ. Impressive volume, soundstage and dynamics! The bamboo finish is only another 60$ and is absolutely gorgeous! They remind me of Sonus Fabers in terms of build quality and finish.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:58:49 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
« Reply #1445 on: March 15, 2018, 08:07:48 PM »
My computer speakers -- standing a bit behind my computer desk -- are Audioengine A5+ powered speakers.

They have served me well over the years, and I plan to hold on them for quite a few more. They're powered so no amplifier necessary.

My headphones are the Senheiser HD 650s -- one of my grandest splurges, and I plan to keep them until they fall apart.

But in general audophilia is an ambition of mine as much as some people loathe it as wanton consumerism or quackery >:D.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:10:42 PM by -abe- »

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #1446 on: March 18, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
I recently upgraded my VPI Scout 1.1 to a VPI Prime Signature with an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge. Wow, the clarity and sense of realism are astounding.

DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
McIntosh MA9000
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge
Sennheiser HD800s, MrSpeaker Aeon
Oppo 105 Blu-ray player

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
« Reply #1447 on: March 23, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »
I'm replacing my Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's that I've enjoy for 13 years with something new.  Not that I don't like the Maggies but their size has always been a bit overwhelming in our smallish living room that is also my listening room.

The Maggies replacements are a pair of DIY, (do it yourself), two-way small towers based closely on Zaph Audio's ZRT, (Revelator Tower), design that use high-grade Scan-Speak drivers.  See http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html

So far I don't seem to be losing much with the ZRT's versus the Magneplanars.  The latter being bipolar planars do offer a somewhat more expansive sound stage but the former are even more transparent, detailed, and airy with equal or better bass.

Some pics ...