Author Topic: Female composers  (Read 16054 times)

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
Re: Female composers
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »
Whoa. for flute, bass clarinet, piano, percussion, violin I, violin II, viola & cello.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m_4JM4rcn70" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m_4JM4rcn70</a>

Second piece by Anna Þorvaldsdóttir I've heard, after aequilibria, and I like this one even better.
Yes, very lovely piece!
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    9th-16th c. | 20th-21st c.
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2015, 09:19:42 AM »
Myriam Alter : encompassing jazz, classical music, and various European influences

Coming from a Judeo-Spanish family, Myriam Alter was raised with all kinds of musics such as Latin, Italian, Oriental, Spanish, South American and classical. As a piano player she was trained in classical music but later found her way into jazz.

Myriam Alter doesn't play the piano herself on her fifth record, Where is There (2007), she "merely" composed eight songs and assembled a sextet to perform them: reassembling the rhythm section from her last album, If  of bassist Greg Cohen, and drummer Joey Baron, as well as clarinet player John Ruocco, she added to the mix pianist Salvatore Bonafede, cellist Jaques Morelenbaum, and soprano saxophonist Pierre Vaiana.

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2015, 08:55:49 AM »
Laurie Anderson : performance artist; poet; provocateur; widow

Initially trained as a sculptor, Laurie Anderson did her first performance-art piece in the late 1960s. Throughout the 1970s, Anderson did a variety of different performance-art activities. She became widely known outside the art world in 1981 when her single “O Superman” reached number two on the UK pop charts. She also starred in and directed the 1986 concert film Home of the Brave, which was based on her landmark recording Mister Heartbreak ((Warner Bros. 1984)

She has once again directed her creative energies toward film with the release in October of Heart of a Dog at once mediation on life, loss and the passage of time.

At the center of the imagery and subtle ambiances and strings, stands her voice which is mesmerizing and hypnotic. Her abstract thoughts on a variety of subjects, such as death, love, loss, grief are tapping deeply into the subconscious and resonate strongly in the way poetry does. She loves to examine a certain subject from innumerable angles and that sounds like an amazing outpouring of stories in a stream of consciousness manner that subtly intertwine, mesh and morph together. The result to that is a compelling, single intimate story.

“Every love story is a ghost story,” Ms. Anderson says at one point, quoting David Foster Wallace, yet another lingering spirit.

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steve Hackett (1950 -)
    A plethora of musical genres
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »
Germaine Tailleferre : only female composer of "Les Six"

And a composer that has been given little attention. There's hardly any recordings of any of her music. Her neglect is completely unjustified.
“I think that a song, when it works, never mind a piece of long form music, even a song is something that speaks to itself but has a language all of its own, ideally.” - Steve Hackett

Offline pjme

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »

Zabaleta / Martinon are excellent.

Lavinia Meyer gives also a good performance.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8RumDQN_POY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8RumDQN_POY</a>

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
Laura Karpman's "Ask Your Mama" : a grand multitude of American voices

Karpman was going through a bookstore when she stumbled onto a little-known epic poem by Langston Hughes, the poet laureate of the Harlem Renaissance, Ask Your Mama: 12 Moods for Jazz.  “What attracted me to the piece was not only that it was written by Langston Hughes, who I think is one of the most brilliant poets who ever lived,” Karpman says, “but in the right-hand margins of the poem, Langston says exactly how the music should sound.”

Offline CRMS

« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
When I was at university so many eons ago, there was a female composer on the music faculty - Pauline Oliveros, and I believe that she is still active.

On a more well-known note, I am surprised not to see (or have missed) Unsuk Chin.  Here is a performance of her Le Silence des Sirènes with the Gothenburg Symphony and soloist Barbara Hannigan...

https://vimeo.com/142247260

Offline pjme

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »
Exciting work! Hannigan is excellent.
The Gothenburg Symphony video's on Vimeo are well worth discovering.

P.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
When I was at university so many eons ago, there was a female composer on the music faculty - Pauline Oliveros, and I believe that she is still active.

On a more well-known note, I am surprised not to see (or have missed) Unsuk Chin.  Here is a performance of her Le Silence des Sirènes with the Gothenburg Symphony and soloist Barbara Hannigan...

https://vimeo.com/142247260
Oliveros is one composer I've discovered only this year. Remarkable composer who really pioneered electronic music!

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
Pardon if this composer has already been mentioned in the previous six pages, which I was just to lazy to read.

Lucia Dlugoszewski [American] 1931 – 2000.

Fire Fragile Flight [1977]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGWW3WWL04
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:41:26 PM by Monsieur Croche »
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2016, 10:22:31 AM »
An interview with Olga Neuwirth:

"What I’ve always tried to do in my pieces is to elude categorization, because I don’t want to be pigeonholed. Which in turn has, for me at least, meant that I could not in fact be categorized, and so now people say, With her, you never know what you’re going to get. As if something being multifaceted meant it lacked quality. However, with my male colleagues it’s exactly this quality that gets hyped as masterful."

NikF2

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2016, 06:55:26 AM »
And a composer that has been given little attention. There's hardly any recordings of any of her music. Her neglect is completely unjustified.

My ex left me this CD -

When I got around to listen to it I was taken with her 'Ballad'. I know there are a few recordings out there, but I've really only heard her contribution to 'Les Maries de la Tour Eiffel'.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Female Composers Shaking Up the Opera World

Throughout March, the Opera Philadelphia blog and social media channels will host a celebration of Women’s History Month, shining the spotlight on the women creating opera today with guest posts and takeovers, beginning with an interview with War Stories director Robin Guarino. Next up: Breaking the Waves composer Missy Mazzoli highlights the contemporary composers who inspire her.

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    The sound of noise music
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Jenny McLeod
The most self-referential, self-aware and self-deprecating user this website (and planet) has ever known. So much, that he fails at being able to insult his own intelligence

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steve Hackett (1950 -)
    A plethora of musical genres
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »
“I think that a song, when it works, never mind a piece of long form music, even a song is something that speaks to itself but has a language all of its own, ideally.” - Steve Hackett

Offline Ten thumbs

• Veteran member
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2017, 03:28:50 AM »
We are becoming a little more enlightened. However, it is still true that:

If Emilie Mayer had been a man, a full cycle of the symphonies would have been recorded years ago.

If Cecile Chaminade had been a man, box sets of her complete piano works would be readily available, with a choice of pianists.

If Fanny Mendelssohn had been a man, numerous complete recordings of her lieder would be on the market and she would be spoken of as one of the greatest in that field.

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
We are becoming a little more enlightened. However, it is still true that:

If Emilie Mayer had been a man, a full cycle of the symphonies would have been recorded years ago.

If Cecile Chaminade had been a man, box sets of her complete piano works would be readily available, with a choice of pianists.

If Fanny Mendelssohn had been a man, numerous complete recordings of her lieder would be on the market and she would be spoken of as one of the greatest in that field.
+1
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Offline Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    The sound of noise music
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
Lucia Dlugoszewski, a criminally neglected composer  :(
The most self-referential, self-aware and self-deprecating user this website (and planet) has ever known. So much, that he fails at being able to insult his own intelligence

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK