Author Topic: Mussorgsky  (Read 27706 times)

Offline BasilValentine

Re: Mussorgsky
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Am not a great fan of Tomita!

My girlfriend's dog hated him too! There was a part of "The Gnome" at which she never failed to bark angrily.

Offline Turner

« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »
What is your favorite recording of Pictures at an Exhibition?  The one you would use to "sell" someone on the work if they've never heard it before?  I ask because I just heard what I consider a subpar performance from Fabrizio Ventura and the Sinfonieorchester Munster.  Very unmusical.  I recall hearing various performances that were devastating in their impact but forgot which recordings those were.  Perhaps Solti/Chicago?

Celi DG or EMI.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
http://www.brilliantclassics.com/media/445970/94670-Mussorgsky-Edition-Liner-Notes-Sung-texts-download-file.pdf

Unfortunately that one is a 92 page document which has texts and translations of Boris Godunov, Kovanshchina, various songs &c, but not Sorochintsi Fair. A large part of the English in that document appears to be Google translated from the Russian, some parts are quite hilarious.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
Unfortunately that one is a 92 page document which has texts and translations of Boris Godunov, Kovanshchina, various songs &c, but not Sorochintsi Fair. A large part of the English in that document appears to be Google translated from the Russian, some parts are quite hilarious.
Well, damn. I should have looked closer..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
I've listened to the first act of Sorochintsi Fair with the aid of a synopsis and the Russian vocal score. What an amazing piece, why isn't it more popular? it certainly makes my top ten opera list (assuming the next two acts are just as good).

Still a bit handicapped without a libretto. Can someone who owns a copy of Kobbe's Complete Opera Book tell me if that work has an English libretto for SF in it, if so I might invest in a copy.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2017, 12:06:47 AM »
I searched for an English libretto without success, but I did find a French libretto which I have now translated. So here are the French and English alongside each other:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yrqdsjwo8r50tq0/Sorochintsy_Fair.docx

If anyone who knows French would care to point out any mistranslations, or if anyone who knows Russian would care to point out where the French (and my English) are far from the original, then I would be very grateful.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »

Boris Godunov - Symphonic synthesis. It's my first listen from this CD. A pleasurable music, beautifully memorable, glorious. Mussorgsky has been a blind spot for me, I think it happens because other composers/musicians have orchestrated his works. In any case, this orchestration by Stokowski is marvelous.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »

Boris Godunov - Symphonic synthesis. It's my first listen from this CD. A pleasurable music, beautifully memorable, glorious. Mussorgsky has been a blind spot for me, I think it happens because other composers/musicians have orchestrated his works. In any case, this orchestration by Stokowski is marvelous.

Hi, S.A., I haven't heard that particular recording, but if you enjoy Stokowski's version, and are looking for another recording, I recommend this one by Cleveland/Oliver Knussen.

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi, S.A., I haven't heard that particular recording, but if you enjoy Stokowski's version, and are looking for another recording, I recommend this one by Cleveland/Oliver Knussen.

Thanks for the recommendation TheGSMoeller! I'll keep it in mind. In fact, I'd like to listen to the complete opera. I'm not a big opera fan, but this work seems to deserve it.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2017, 06:09:46 AM »
Both of those Stokowski CDs are excellent. I know it's cheating but I love the 'Boris Godunov: Symphonic Synthesis'; however it is also, together with Vaughan Williams's 'Pilgrim's Progress' one of the only operas that I listen to and greatly admire.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK