Author Topic: Haydn Keyboard Sonatas  (Read 42868 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Re: Haydn Keyboard Sonatas
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »
He only recorded one sonata but the best Haydn sonata performance I've ever heard is by Youri Egorov.
Cheers

Holden

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 06:40:42 AM »
Rudolf Buchbinder on piano; 10-CD set mentioned previously; outstanding value on the Brilliant label - excellent performance and sound quality - for the price & desire to hear these works on a piano, this is one of the top choices.  A more expensive set released about the same time is by John McCabe on Decca; I've not heard this set, however, a short and instructive comparison can be found HERE, if interested.  Yet another review on ClassicsToday HERE by Jed Distler who rates the Buchbinder release a 9/6 and prefers McCabe & Ronald Brautigam (on fortepiano) - I disagree completely w/ the low sound rating!  Now, Distler was reviewing an older release and not that on Brilliant, so difficult to state whether the sound was indeed improve by the Brilliant team?   :D

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 09:54:04 AM »
What do you people think of Ernst Levy? I feel really tempted to invest in exploring his CDs.

Here's a link to some of his Haydn playing, in case you don't know him.

http://hypem.com/track/332437/Ernst+Levy+-+Haydn+Piano+Sonata+No+47+in+B+minor+Allegro+Moderato
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

nut-job

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:05 AM »
Rudolf Buchbinder on piano; 10-CD set mentioned previously; outstanding value on the Brilliant label - excellent performance and sound quality - for the price & desire to hear these works on a piano, this is one of the top choices.  A more expensive set released about the same time is by John McCabe on Decca; I've not heard this set, however, a short and instructive comparison can be found HERE, if interested.  Yet another review on ClassicsToday HERE by Jed Distler who rates the Buchbinder release a 9/6 and prefers McCabe & Ronald Brautigam (on fortepiano) - I disagree completely w/ the low sound rating!  Now, Distler was reviewing an older release and not that on Brilliant, so difficult to state whether the sound was indeed improve by the Brilliant team?   :D

The original release was Teldec and the re-release you show is Warner Classics, the parent company of Teldec.  Brilliant classics is not involved.  Unlikely Warner would have done more than copy the original masters for a super-budget release like this.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
I caved and purchased the five discs from the Brilliant fortepiano intégrale which I didn't have before. So this is my one and only complete Haydn keyboard recording, and assuming the various performers got to choose which ones they did, it may be the best option.

And perhaps the pianoforte is not so bad either. I have been enjoying some sonatas I wasn't familiar with, because none of the big boys ever play them.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
I caved and purchased the five discs from the Brilliant fortepiano intégrale which I didn't have before. So this is my one and only complete Haydn keyboard recording, and assuming the various performers got to choose which ones they did, it may be the best option.

And perhaps the pianoforte is not so bad either. I have been enjoying some sonatas I wasn't familiar with, because none of the big boys ever play them.

Not so bad, perhaps.... LOL 8)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
Que, in the seventies (the 1970's) when better pf copies were getting available I went to pioneering performances. Somehow I lost interest, and I'm kind of bemused to see some people here who regard historic instruments for composers from the classical period as the norm.

Different strokes.

Bulldog

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 02:46:02 PM »

That Brilliant set is very good - excellent decision.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
Que, in the seventies (the 1970's) when better pf copies were getting available I went to pioneering performances. Somehow I lost interest, and I'm kind of bemused to see some people here who regard historic instruments for composers from the classical period as the norm.

Different strokes.

I hope you interest in the fortepiano is now rekindled.  :) Performance practice and the instrument restauration/rebuilding pratice has come a long way since then .

As to regarding the fortepiano as the norm: that's ultimately not a matter of principle in my case. Haydn simply doesn't work on a modern piano for me. Though that conclusion is of course also perfectly logical on historical grounds.

IMO "not so bad" is really not doing justice to the qualities of the instrument. And that has nothing to do with the fortepiano being the "only" historical correct way, or with dismissing the modern piano as an alternative. But there you go - different strokes...

I was wondering: why try to reconcile your satisfaction on these performances on a fortepiano with your previously held negative general judgement on the instrument? Maybe there is simply no reason to think ("not") so bad of the instrument? 8)

Q
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:22:13 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 02:11:03 AM »
No, it was more the kind of, how shall I put it, the geitenwollensokkenachtige* sfeer around it.

by the midseventies the best instruments were as good as they are now.

*Yes, ladies & gentlemen, this is an actual Dutch word.

Offline dirkronk

• Shivo'ham
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 06:07:10 AM »
What do you people think of Ernst Levy? I feel really tempted to invest in exploring his CDs.

I like Levy a lot, but there is all too little in the way of recordings. Several years back, folks on various boards were greatly touting his Beethoven sonatas (Appassionata, Hammerklavier) and his Liszt sonata. These have an unmistakably powerful and distinctive presentation and I happen to like his articulation and phrasing--most of the time, anyway--but his style probably isn't everyone's cup of tea. If you want to sample a single set and like the Haydn, grab vol.2 from Marston--it has four Haydn pieces.

I bought the first two Marston CD sets (Forgotten Genius, v. 1 & 2) and have been quite happy with them. In fact, I sort of overdosed on them, playing them often enough that I finally decided to give 'em a rest...and I don't think I've listened to them at all in the past year. Still, at the time, I was impressed enough to put my name on the website to get in on preorders for v.3--but no one ever contacted me, even after that set came out...and I never did get that third volume. As I recall, critical comment wasn't as enthusiastic for that one, either. Maybe someone else here can give you an idea of its value relative to 1 & 2.

I also have two or three old MIT records (one a multi-LP set) on which Levy is featured on one or more cuts, though I think all but one or two tracks are included on the Marston CDs.

FWIW,

Dirk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:49:12 AM by dirkronk »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:30 AM »
One to get and one to avoid.

Lubov Timofeyeva's CD of early Haydn sonatas. Really elegant playing and it seems to me to be disciplined and to have the right feeling of whimsy.

You can pick it up for nothing here -- http://rapidshare.com/files/219710924/Hay_Son_Timofey_MP3.rar

The download is just one track! Does anyone know a free piece of softward to break it up?

On the other hand . . .

Koroliov's Haydn.

Again a nice selection including some less frequently recorded sonatas but this pianist seems to me to have zero charisma (I think the same of his Bach.)

But he does the F Minor Variations in such a hyper romantic way it is worth listening to (he does for the variations what Richter does for Schubert -- slows them down to great effect.) So my advice is to  just get that track and leave the rest.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 02:53:27 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 02:13:55 AM »
You can pick it up for nothing here -- http://rapidshare.com/files/219710924/Hay_Son_Timofey_MP3.rar

The download is just one track! Does anyone know a free piece of softward to break it up?

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
Regards,
Navneeth

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:38 AM »
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
Couldn't get my head round that one but this one was easy:

http://www.pistonsoft.com/

If anyone wants the split files PM me and I'll put them on mediafire.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22:18 AM »
Couldn't get my head round that one but this one was easy:

http://www.pistonsoft.com/

If anyone wants the split files PM me and I'll put them on mediafire.

Oh. I thought you just wanted to split the file for easier downloading.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
I hope you interest in the fortepiano is now rekindled.  :) Performance practice and the instrument restauration/rebuilding pratice has come a long way since then .

As to regarding the fortepiano as the norm: that's ultimately not a matter of principle in my case. Haydn simply doesn't work on a modern piano for me. Though that conclusion is of course also perfectly logical on historical grounds.

IMO "not so bad" is really not doing justice to the qualities of the instrument. And that has nothing to do with the fortepiano being the "only" historical correct way, or with dismissing the modern piano as an alternative. But there you go - different strokes...

I was wondering: why try to reconcile your satisfaction on these performances on a fortepiano with your previously held negative general judgement on the instrument? Maybe there is simply no reason to think ("not") so bad of the instrument? 8)

Q

Have you listened to Haydn played on a Fazioli?  Steinways don't work, Bösendorfers are a bit better, but the Fazioli is the perfect piano for Haydn.

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
As I haven't seen another thread dedicated to Haydn's keyboard works, I'm starting this thread to help me in my ongoing exploration of this music.

Here is what I have and enjoy so far:

Brautigam: Complete Music for Solo Keyboard

Andre Marc Hamelin: Haydn Sonatas

Zhu Xiao-Mei: Haydn Sonates

Finally, also to be ordered:

Andreas Staier's Haydn Sonatas - 2 volumes (only one volume pictured)

I will be ordering Brautigam's Keyboard Concertos done with the Concerto Copenhagen as well as Andreas Staier's recording of some concertos with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra.  Those are both HIP, so I'm also interested in seeing if there are great recordings of the concerti with modern instruments as well.

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Almost forgotten: I picked this up years ago at one of the BMG music clubs (Leif Ove Andsnes and the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra).  I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin. :) 

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread. I really should explore Haydn's keyboard work more. I only have one Staier CD and a Jandos CD, plus some sonatas in collection/compilations. They are indeed delights!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK