Author Topic: Haydn Keyboard Sonatas  (Read 42869 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Haydn Keyboard Sonatas
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »
Given that we had 2 threads with the same name, both current, it seems reasonable and prudent to merge them. Great topic, BTW. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestra of Brittany / Sanderling - Méhul - Overture to Bion
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »
As I hadn't seen the earlier thread, it seemed timely. :)

Just found at Amazon: Christine Schornsheim's Complete Haydn Keyboard Music which I have just one-clicked (I'm getting out of control!).  This set, and I have no idea of it's general quality, has Ms. Schornsheim playing harpsichord for the earliest sonatas so it should be very interesting. 

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:45:19 PM by Que »

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

Just found at Amazon: Christine Schornsheim's Complete Haydn Keyboard Music which I have just one-clicked (I'm getting out of control!).  This set, and I have no idea of it's general quality, has Ms. Schornsheim playing harpsichord for the earliest sonatas so it should be very interesting. 

Bunny,
Oh, I thought you already had that one, we've discussed it a couple of times. it is really quite good, she plays on several different instruments including one disk on a clavichord. She doesn't have the fire that Brautigam brings, but that may be just as appropriate, at least for some of these works, which only the later ones, I think, are intended by the composer to be virtuousically (sic) brilliant. I enjoy them a lot for contrast.

That said, it's always possible that you ARE out of control... ;D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestra of Brittany / Sanderling - Méhul Overture to Bion
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:44:58 PM by Que »

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
Bunny,
Oh, I thought you already had that one, we've discussed it a couple of times. it is really quite good, she plays on several different instruments including one disk on a clavichord. She doesn't have the fire that Brautigam brings, but that may be just as appropriate, at least for some of these works, which only the later ones, I think, are intended by the composer to be virtuousically (sic) brilliant. I enjoy them a lot for contrast.

8)

----------------
Listening to:

I had meant to order it, but it was a 14 cd set and the dollar was incredibly weak.  Now, for $27 it looked too good to pass up. :D

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »
Bunny,

8)

----------------
Listening to:

The Yankees are playing so well it's given me a high.  Everything looks delicious nowadays. ;)

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »
... it is really quite good, she plays on several different instruments including one disk on a clavichord. She doesn't have the fire that Brautigam brings, but that may be just as appropriate, at least for some of these works, which only the later ones, I think, are intended by the composer to be virtuousically (sic) brilliant. I enjoy them a lot for contrast.

Hi, Gurn, I agree totally with your opinions about Brautigam and Schornsheim.

Speaking about period instruments, you could be interested in a disc devoted to Haydn by Joanna Leach, a former student of Peter Katin (recently mentioned in other thread). Although her playing is first-rate, probably one the more attractive aspects of this recording is about the square-pianos used there.

BTW, Leach always choose beautiful instruments and her recording entitled A century of Domestic Keyboards 1727-1832 (not Haydn this time) is one of the most delightful recordings that I have listened to in the last year. 

If anyone is interested, here a link to the Variations in F minor, Hob. XVII:5 (Sonata – un piccolo divertimento) from the Haydn's disc. One of our more distinguished board contributors -quoted here without his permission-, described this performance as “… a very beautiful interpretation, which displays the mood of sad resignation of this work in a most satisfying way. Certainly a must have”.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nytwjmnwygk

http://www.divine-art.com/AS/leach.htm

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
Now, for $27 it looked too good to pass up. :D

:o Where?
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
Hi, Gurn, I agree totally with your opinions about Brautigam and Schornsheim.

Speaking about period instruments, you could be interested in a disc devoted to Haydn by Joanna Leach, a former student of Peter Katin (recently mentioned in other thread). Although her playing is first-rate, probably one the more attractive aspects of this recording is about the square-pianos used there.

BTW, Leach always choose beautiful instruments and her recording entitled A century of Domestic Keyboards 1727-1832 (not Haydn this time) is one of the most delightful recordings that I have listened to in the last year. 

If anyone is interested, here a link to the Variations in F minor, Hob. XVII:5 (Sonata – un piccolo divertimento) from the Haydn's disc. One of our more distinguished board contributors -quoted here without his permission-, described this performance as “… a very beautiful interpretation, which displays the mood of sad resignation of this work in a most satisfying way. Certainly a must have”.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nytwjmnwygk

http://www.divine-art.com/AS/leach.htm

Thanks for the information (and the music!), Antoine. I have never heard of Leach, so this will be a new opportunity. And the square piano (and the whole domestic music thing) has always been of interest to me. I appreciate it. :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Orchestra of Brittany / Sanderling - Méhul Overture to La Chasse du Jeune Henri

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 12:07:35 PM »
:o Where?

Amazon, through the partners!  And check out the mp3 album price while you are doing that. 150 Tracks for $8.99, and the second part of the set (the last 5 or so cds) for another $8.99, or $18 for 14 cds!  I'm tempted to buy the downloads to save me the trouble of ripping all the cds. 

I tell you, I've gone out of control.  >:D

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Amazon, through the partners!

Thanks.

And check out the mp3 album price while you are doing that. 150 Tracks for $8.99, and the second part of the set (the last 5 or so cds) for another $8.99, or $18 for 14 cds!  I'm tempted to buy the downloads to save me the trouble of ripping all the cds.

Sounds great! Probably you'll spend the same amount of time burning a back-up copy, assuming you back-up your CDs. :)

Always a good sign for a collector. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »

Sounds great! Probably you'll spend the same amount of time burning a back-up copy, assuming you back-up your CDs. :)

No, I just repack them carefully in special sleeves that preserve the discs and all graphic art or keep the digipaks in another storage drawer after I rip them to hard drive.  The cds themselves are my backup for the ripped music, although I know quite a few people who copy them onto dvds either in FLAC or ALAC and then resell the cds.  I'm not industrious enough to start doing that.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

Bunny, an old post of mine:

This is an easy recommendation: really excellent playing, very attractively priced and beautifully recorded.
Christine Schornsheim is an  imaginative player, with a direct, lively and dashing style. She plays different keyboard instruments: a harpsichord (CD's 1-3), a clavichord (CD 4), another harpsichord for CD's 5 & 7, and two fortepiano's for CD's 6, 8-13. I liked the concept - it brings interesting variety to a large set like this.
Very much recommended. :)

Instruments:
Double-manual harpsichord by William Dowd/ Reinhard von Nagel, Paris 1976
Unfretted clavichord by Burkhard Zander, Cologne 1999, replica of an instrument by Joseph Gottfried Horn, near Dresden 1788
Double-manual harpsichord by Jacob & Abraham Kirckman, London 1777
Fortepiano by Louis Dulcken, Munich 1793
Fortepiano (early grand piano) by John Broadwood & Son, London 1804

Q
À chacun son goût.

Bulldog

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »

I'm interested in the back-up premise.  Why would one do it?

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »
Bunny, an old post of mine:

Thanks, Que!  I have ordered the set, and can't wait to give it a spin. :)

I'm interested in the back-up premise.  Why would one do it?

In case of accident?  Flood or fire?  Careless painters who put treasured albums on a hot radiator?  Thieves in the night?  Earthquakes? Tsunamis?  Take your pick!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:20:17 AM by Bunny »

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 08:01:04 PM »
Amazon, through the partners!  And check out the mp3 album price while you are doing that. 150 Tracks for $8.99, and the second part of the set (the last 5 or so cds) for another $8.99, or $18 for 14 cds!  I'm tempted to buy the downloads to save me the trouble of ripping all the cds. 

I am still decades away from buying downloads.  The physical CD's remain very valuable to me since I do not always play my music on my desktop.  For serious listening, I still fire up my big rigs ...

Bulldog

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
In case of accident?  Flood or fire?  Careless painters who put treasured albums on a hot radiator?  Thieves in the night?  Earthquakes? Tsunamis?  Take your pick!

So you keep your back-ups in a different part of your home?

Offline Grazioso

• Veteran member
    notes
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2009, 03:48:18 AM »
A nice thing about Schornsheim set is that it also includes a lengthy interview with her (in German) about the music and the instruments she played for the recordings.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »
So you keep your back-ups in a different part of your home?

Don, I was only speculating about why anyone would back up a cd -- it seemed like an amusing exercise of the imagination.  I should have put down an emoticon which I have edited into the post. ;)

I don't back up my cds.  The cds are the backup for my music on hard drive which is only for play on my ipod.  And I keep them in another room of my apartment in Manhattan.  I don't really understand why anyone would back up a cd.  When programs came on floppy discs, I routinely backed up those because they were easily corrupted or damaged.  Since the advent of cd I don't back up anything.  I do worry about theft, but most thieves target the equipment, not the cds so I am careful to take the cds out of the equipment.

I do know of people who back up their cds on dvds in lossless compressed formats as well as putting the music on hard drives (also vulnerable to damage), but they usually end up selling the cds to finance new purchases or just to reclaim the space which is a premium in Manhattan.  Some one I know of donated his original cds to a library after ripping them (lossless) to hard drives (with a backup hard drive too), but that came back to bite him in the ass when both hard drives failed.  The library had sold a good portion of the collection so he was forced to find someone who could extract as many undamaged files from the hard drives as possible which I'm sure cost him a pretty penny! 

Offline Bunny

• Veteran member
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
I am still decades away from buying downloads.  The physical CD's remain very valuable to me since I do not always play my music on my desktop.  For serious listening, I still fire up my big rigs ...

I buy downloads of music which has gone oop when I can't find a cd to buy.  Better the download than nothing.

Bulldog

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »
Don, I was only speculating about why anyone would back up a cd -- it seemed like an amusing exercise of the imagination.  I should have put down an emoticon which I have edited into the post. ;)

I don't back up my cds.  The cds are the backup for my music on hard drive which is only for play on my ipod.  And I keep them in another room of my apartment in Manhattan.  I don't really understand why anyone would back up a cd. 

Me neither.  I just thought that I might be missing some important factor and that I should reconsider.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK