Author Topic: Cato's Grammar Grumble  (Read 313031 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Cato's Grammar Grumble
« Reply #4240 on: December 31, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
Alas! Beyond one weekend spent entirely in the confines of Hebrew Union College, when I was a college lad, I have never been to Ohio. In fact, my most vivid memory of that trip is of the Kentucky bluegrass which lined the road from the airport (Cincinnati's airport is in Kentucky, just across the river) to the city.

That was the time when I scandalized the HUC (the seminary of Reform Judaism) by wearing a skullcap and prayer shawl to Shabbat morning services....

The view of downtown Cincinnati from the Kentucky side on I-75 is magnificent, but you would find the traffic and the urban sprawl immense since your visit.  ;)

Ken B.'s quotation is from a review of a children's activity book called the Me Museum  ???

Here is the Amazon summary:

It has come to our attention that most museums will not let you draw on the walls. And most museums will not let you make your own statues. And most museums are not actually all about you. Is this true?! Then the Me Museum is pretty much exactly unlike any other museum you've ever seen—here you can do all of that, and then paint portraits of your favorite people, decide what's for lunch, create your own secret hideout, and then invite your family and friends to tour the whole building for themselves.

An excellent activity book for car trips, rainy days, or anytime that will become a keepsake for years to come

(My emphasis above)

And here is the review with the curious phrase "meditative kale smoothie."  I thought it would be worth quoting the whole thing because it is just sooo precious and appallingly symbolic of certain people today:

For adults too! I'm pretty sure this gorgeous book is meant for kids—and it would be really wonderful for shy kids especially, with its message of "letting people in" sometimes.The artwork makes it clear that everyone is special just because they are themselves; what kid doesn't need to hear that message? But being sans kids, I'm thinking more about how fun this would be for a girls weekend—one of those review-and-renew retreats. The debossed cover engaged me right away...you pick it up and go "wow!" just because it feels like a party. The art works for adults, too. And answering the questions lets you feel a little silly and a lot good about yourself. It's nice to step away from negativity and play in a happy space...even if you are an adult. After the mani-pedi, pair this book with a meditative kale smoothie, a gab-fest Diet Coke, or a leisurely Pinot Grigio...

I prefer a leisurely Topo Gigio!  8)

I will confess that I might be judging all of this unfairly,  perhaps becoming too sensitive to certain things because I am reading a book on The Seven Deadly Sins as seen in society in the 1970's. 

Or maybe not!  0:)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4241 on: December 31, 2017, 04:32:05 AM »
“It's Ohio, Jake.”

A year ago, I should not have twigged this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4242 on: December 31, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »
A year ago, I should not have twigged this.
Were you from Ohio a year ago?

>:D ;)
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4243 on: January 08, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »
I don’t see the phrase “in countries” as any value added to the sentence at all, at all.

[Name of company]’s products are sold in countries around the world.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4244 on: January 08, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
I don’t see the phrase “in countries” as any value added to the sentence at all, at all.

[Name of company]’s products are sold in countries around the world.

Not at all in any  way at all.   

I am reminded of my trip to the South Pacific: I saw the H-Bomb site Bikini Atoll, but the best atoll was no Bikini Atoll!   :o ???

Okay, so...

Our "favorite" local T.V. station has a 20-something weatherman who said yesterday:

"This unseasonable cold will continue through Tuesday."

Well, the single-digit cold some might find "unreasonable," but precisely in which other season would we find such temperatures?  8)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #4245 on: January 08, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
Ran into what was is a debatable style guide presented as an iron law of grammar which is to not start a sentence with an Arabic (rather than spelled out number).  Starting a sentence with ‘Three’ vs ‘3’ is good and there are very few instances where beginning a sentence with an number carried out to six significant digits is good - however I see nothing wrong with beginning a sentence with ‘37% of what people believe are die hard grammar rules are just style conventions that can be broken’
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4246 on: January 08, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
Ran into what was is a debatable style guide presented as an iron law of grammar which is to not start a sentence with an Arabic (rather than spelled out number).  Starting a sentence with ‘Three’ vs ‘3’ is good and there are very few instances where beginning a sentence with an number carried out to six significant digits is good - however I see nothing wrong with beginning a sentence with ‘37% of what people believe are die hard grammar rules are just style conventions that can be broken’

Interesting: what say ye, Fellow Grammar Grumblers?

Which seems better?

37% say that some grammar rules are actually biases.

Thirty-seven per cent say that some grammar rules are actually biases.

And what if our number is a decimal?   ??? :o

Ninety-three point five per cent voted against the introduction of Cheese on campus.  Those in favor hailed from Limburg.

93.5% voted against the introduction of Cheese on campus.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4247 on: January 08, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »
100% is my preference for 37%. But for natural numbers of modest size, “Thirteen curses upon you”, words not digits. I think the split is measurements vs items, but I doubt there is a hard and fast rule.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • WT Sherman
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #4248 on: January 08, 2018, 06:44:34 PM »
Interesting: what say ye, Fellow Grammar Grumblers?

Which seems better?

37% say that some grammar rules are actually biases.

Thirty-seven per cent say that some grammar rules are actually biases.

And what if our number is a decimal?   ??? :o

Ninety-three point five per cent voted against the introduction of Cheese on campus.  Those in favor hailed from Limburg.

93.5% voted against the introduction of Cheese on campus.

Who is Cheese and why do the swains abhor him (her)?

(Since you capitalized it in midsentence, I must assume Cheese is a person and not an edible derivative of milk.)

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • WT Sherman
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #4249 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
On the actual question, what I learned was that if a written out number was  inappropriate, the sentence should be rewritten so the sentence starts with something else:

The poll revealed that 37% of those asked believed some grammar rules are merely biases.
Of those asked, 37% believed, etc.

The vote was a decisive rejection of Cheese, with 93.5 percent voting to bar him from campus.  The only dissenting votes were cast by Limburgers.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #4250 on: January 08, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
When I was in high school way back in the early seventies, we were taught not to use numerals to open a sentence.

I have forgotten most of these rules now (conventions, really) and when in doubt, go by instinct rather than check a reliable source  :-[.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4251 on: January 12, 2018, 07:25:14 AM »
Of course, it’s only a typo, and not the writer’s native language;  but I admit that my eye recoiled . . .

. . . Georges Franju’s haunting French thriller Eyes Without a Face (Les yeaux sans visage) . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4252 on: January 12, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
On the actual question, what I learned was that if a written out number was  inappropriate, the sentence should be rewritten so the sentence starts with something else:

The poll revealed that 37% of those asked believed some grammar rules are merely biases.
Of those asked, 37% believed, etc.

The vote was a decisive rejection of Cheese, with 93.5 percent voting to bar him from campus.  The only dissenting votes were cast by Limburgers.

Pffft. Never end a sentence with a preposition, never split an infinitive, never begin a sentence with a conjunction. Piffling rules that never applied. Brevity is a virtue.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4253 on: January 12, 2018, 07:55:44 AM »
Snowflake.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • WT Sherman
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #4255 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
Of course, it’s only a typo, and not the writer’s native language;  but I admit that my eye recoiled . . .

. . . Georges Franju’s haunting French thriller Eyes Without a Face (Les yeaux sans visage) . . . .

Shades of Billy Idol...

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4256 on: January 12, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »

From the French version of Rocky
Yeaux, Adrian!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK