RECENTLY DISCUSSED ON GMG - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Shostakovich 5th Symphony 2nd movement  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Diletante

• I don't bite.
Shostakovich 5th Symphony 2nd movement
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
Hello.

Unfortunately the score is not public domain so I can't look at it for free. I have a quick question.

In the first part of the movement (at 01:47 in the Haitink - Concertgebouw Orchestra version I'm listening to right now) a melody is played solo by a string instrument. The melody is then repeated by a flute.

Is that a violin or a viola?

Thanks.  :)

Orgullosamente diletante.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
Re: Shostakovich 5th Symphony 2nd movement
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »
The tzigane solo is played by a violinist

Drasko

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
Yes, as Herman said, first violin usually.
Balding guy just left of the conductor in this video (at 1:43)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uCTsAxr7BlU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uCTsAxr7BlU</a>

Offline Diletante

• I don't bite.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »
Aw, shucks, I thought it was a viola. :( I have to get better at recognizing the sounds of instruments.

Thank you both very much for your help!
Orgullosamente diletante.

Offline psylocke24

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:06:53 AM »
Aw, shucks, I thought it was a viola. :( I have to get better at recognizing the sounds of instruments.

Thank you both very much for your help!

Same case here, I am also not familiar with the sound of instruments, I can't tell if it is violin just through listening to it.

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:49:06 AM »
Same case here, I am also not familiar with the sound of instruments, I can't tell if it is violin just through listening to it.
The violin has a brighter sound and usually plays higher notes than the viola, whose tone is darker and mellower.

For familiarizing oneself with instrumental sounds, I can think of no better aid than Benjamin Britten's Young Persons' Guide to the Orchestra (also known as Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Henry Purcell). 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Offline Palmetto

• Currently Listening to:
    My cat purr.
Oh, sure, jochanaan...
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 05:54:03 AM »
Provide that information to someone who asked two years ago, but not me???  Now my feelings are hurt!!!   :-[

Seriously, thanks for digging up this antique discussion.  This looks like a interesting reference to occupy the weekend.  You might want to add it to the sticky 'Good Resources for Beginners' discussion; or I can do it if you don't want the credit.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 05:56:15 AM by Palmetto »

Offline jochanaan

• Veteran member
    • Musician, Music Instructor and Piano Tuner
Re: Oh, sure, jochanaan...
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
Provide that information to someone who asked two years ago, but not me???  Now my feelings are hurt!!!   :-[
You only had to ask.  :)
Seriously, thanks for digging up this antique discussion.  This looks like a interesting reference to occupy the weekend.  You might want to add it to the sticky 'Good Resources for Beginners' discussion; or I can do it if you don't want the credit.
Done. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK