Author Topic: Gurn's Classical Corner  (Read 359462 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Gurn's Classical Corner
« Reply #3280 on: December 03, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »
I finally found this very nice disc (the edition that does not show properly but the "white one" might be easier to find) at a good price. 3 string quartets by the Jadin brothers, the precocious Hyacinthe who died of tuberculosis at 24 (1776-1800) and his older brother Louis-Emmanuel who lived into his mid-80s (1768-1853!). Both wrote quite a bit more chamber music, most of which remains unrecorded to my knowledge.

I hope to get the harmonia mundi disc with Schobert chamber music and another one with music by Padre Soler today or in monday's post...

I like that, Jo. I have some Jadin (mostly H, a little L-E), it is really enjoyable music. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3281 on: December 03, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
I have another disc with string trios by Hyacinthe (les adieux/NCA) and one with piano sonatas (Pennetier/harmonia mundi). All quite enjoyable and the composer often has a particular lyrical early/protoromantic strain that sets him apart as rather original, I think.

Now tonight I'll probably listen to Schobert with Banchini/Sgrizzi as I just got a nice package of CDs... :D
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3282 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
I have another disc with string trios by Hyacinthe (les adieux/NCA) and one with piano sonatas (Pennetier/harmonia mundi). All quite enjoyable and the composer often has a particular lyrical early/protoromantic strain that sets him apart as rather original, I think.

Now tonight I'll probably listen to Schobert with Banchini/Sgrizzi as I just got a nice package of CDs... :D

Yes, I have both of those, and quite enjoy them. FWIW, I have the Schobert/Banchini disk too, a recent acquisition. You could well be pleased with it. Schobert was a pioneer of Classicism, the very young Mozart was influenced by him, even before he met J.C. Bach. :)

8)

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
Gurn's Classical Corner
« Reply #3283 on: March 05, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
Ernst Wolf's (1735-1792) string quartets are a true gem from Haydn's generation. I just had to jump in and say it after enjoying this CPO disk this morning. Aces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:29:43 AM by Que »

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3284 on: March 05, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
Ernst Wolf's (1735-1792) string quartets are a true gem from Haydn's generation. I just had to jump in and say it after enjoying this CPO disk this morning. Aces!

Hi, Leo,

I never saw any other music by Wolf beyond this very neat little keyboard sonatas disk. He seems to have been a close follower of CPE Bach. I'll have to look into the string quartets, that is a pleasant surprise genre for me!  :)

8)

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Bruckner, Bach, Handel, Beethoven
Gurn's Classical Corner
« Reply #3285 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi, Leo,

I never saw any other music by Wolf beyond this very neat little keyboard sonatas disk. He seems to have been a close follower of CPE Bach. I'll have to look into the string quartets, that is a pleasant surprise genre for me!  :)

8)

Thanks Gurn! I haven't seen the sonatas by Wolf. I really feel you'll enjoy his string quartets, which are finely written with subtlety and structural nuances. Aces :)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK