Author Topic: Gurn's Classical Corner  (Read 534378 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Gurn's Classical Corner
« Reply #3320 on: May 29, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »
I just obtained Volume 7 of this estimable series. Have got to hear lots of 'new' music, and as Gordo notes, different players on each disk, including Viviana Sofronitzky, Alexei Lubimov and several others. Dussek was huge in his time, and a bit of a scamp, too. As so many others did, he tended to fade in the 19th century, but his quality was enough to provide a good reason for his return today. Highly recommended. :)

Hi Gurn - just checked my Dussek collection and I got up to Vol. 4 and must have not looked lately!  ::)  Will correct that soon!  Dave :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3321 on: May 29, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
An interesting group of pianofortes, mainly the Longman & Clementi's (at least 2 of them) but also a Broadwood and a Viennese type made in Germany, and a Dutch one too. They all sound good, the players are uniformly excellent, IMO.

Volume 1 - Bart van Oort piano
Fortepiano Longman Clementi (Londen, 1798-1799), Collection Chris Maene, restored 2002.

Volume 2 - Piet Kuijken fortepiano
Instrument: Longman Clementi, London 1798, Maene collection

Volume 3 - Alexei Lubimov fortepiano
Fortepiano Longman Clementi (London, 1798-1799),Collection Chris Maene, restored 2002.

Volume 4 - Tuija Hakkila piano
Fortepianos
Op.5 No.3 & Op.43: Anonymous Viennese 5-octave fortepiano “Bureau de Musique, Leipsic”
(ca. 1795-1800), restored by Edwin Beunk, Enschede, Holland (2005). Collection: Tuija Hakkila
Op.24 & Op.61: Copy of a Longman Clementi fortepiano (London,1799) made by Chris Maene,
Belgium (2003). Collection: Malcolm Bilson

Volume 5 - Wolfgang Brunner fortepiano
Fortepianos
Robert Brown: Copy after Michael Rosenberger (Vienna c. 1810),
Oberndorf near Salzburg 2009 (tr. 1-2, 6-7)
John Broadwood and Son, London 1804, Rococo Summer Pavilion Stift Schlägl/
Austria (tr. 3-5, 8-11)

Volume 6 - Viviana Sofronitzki fortepiano
Fortepiano Longman Clementi (London, 1798-1799),Collection Chris Maene, restored 2002.

Volume 7 - Zvi Meniker fortepiano
Fortepiano by Clementi, London 1797, restored by Chris Maene

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3322 on: May 30, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
That's a dream team! The only name I'm not familiar with is Mr. Brunner. All the instruments seem superb, too.

BTW, Lubimov recorded a highly recommendable disk on Alpha devoted to Dussek. It includes a concerto for two pianos (with Olga Pashchenko) and two chamber works.    :)
Musica lætitiæ comes medicina dolorum
(Music is a companion to joy and a medicine for pains)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3323 on: May 30, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »
That's a dream team! The only name I'm not familiar with is Mr. Brunner. All the instruments seem superb, too.

Great!  :) I guess the eventual boxset (how many discs are to be expected?) will be a non- brainer....  8)

BTW, Lubimov recorded a highly recommendable disk on Alpha devoted to Dussek. It includes a concerto for two pianos (with Olga Pashchenko) and two chamber works.    :)

Noted, thanks!  :)

Q

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3324 on: May 31, 2019, 04:33:48 AM »

Wolfgang Brunner records on the Hannsler/Profil label, I have 2 disks of Mozart, one he plays with Leonore Stauss, 4 hands music and the disk is called "Für Nannerl", very nice. I also have a second Mozart from him with the 2 & 3 piano concertos. In addition, he is conductor on a Haydn disk of the marionette opera "Philemon und Baucis". He conducts the Salzburger Hofmusik, which he also does on that Mozart concerto disk. He is a good player.

I also have that Lubimov Dussek concerto disk, it is most enjoyable. I've become rather a fan of Lubimov over the years... :)

8)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3325 on: May 31, 2019, 04:39:18 AM »
Great!  :) I guess the eventual boxset (how many discs are to be expected?) will be a non- brainer....  8)

Q

I was doing some counting recently to try and answer that question, and it looks like 2 or 3 more will cover the sonatas, unless they go out and begin to include the solo piano music otherwise. So, 9 or 10 total. Not quite the 18 in the Clementi set!  :D

8)

Offline Gordo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3326 on: May 31, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »

Q

Like Gurn, I'm a fan of Lubimov; although I didn't need a process, it was a sudden effect after listening to his Mozart's piano sonatas several years ago.

Closer to Badura-Skoda and Bilson than people like Bezuidenhout, van Oort. Beghin, the last three my favorite fortepianists after the demigods.
Musica lætitiæ comes medicina dolorum
(Music is a companion to joy and a medicine for pains)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #3327 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
...Closer to Badura-Skoda and Bilson than people like Bezuidenhout, Bart van Oort. Beghin, the last three my favorite fortepianists after the demigods.

I agree with everything you say here. Lubimov and The 'B's' clearly have it when it comes to fortepianos!  :)

8)