RECENTLY DISCUSSED ON GMG - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: The Formula One Thread  (Read 22919 times)

pjme

Re: The Formula One Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 08:46:54 AM »
 ;D Sure!

But do play on!

P.

Offline matti

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2009, 09:07:52 AM »
We named our daughter Kimi. F-1 fan? For sure. Take a wild guess who we support!

Don't tell me you really named her after a male stonefaced Formula 1 driver? I mean... Fanny... Alma.... ;D

Kimi is a great name, though, especially for a girl! :)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:01 AM »
What a start to the season!

Brawn (-Mercedes) GP 1 and 2, Button and Barrichello. I feel sad for Vettel, though. He really should have been up there.

P.S.: Happy birthday, Bill (Bogey). :)

P.S.#2: Firefox considers Barrichello as a perfectly English word. (It even offers me Fisichella when I spell the name incorrectly.) But the irony is that 'Firefox' is not a valid word. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Online springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 01:13:49 AM »
Don't tell me you really named her after a male stonefaced Formula 1 driver? I mean... Fanny... Alma.... ;D

Kimi is a great name, though, especially for a girl! :)

As I explained in the Kim thread, Kimi's unlikely conception via test tube (3% chance of success) was confirmed on the day and a few hours after Kimi Raikonen miraculously won the F1 title on the last day of the season. We decided on the name before we knew she was conceived. Of course we hope she's not a stonefaced fast driving drunk.  ;D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
    Blasting off an Antonín Dvořák rocket!
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 05:09:20 AM »

Brawn (-Mercedes) GP 1 and 2, Button and Barrichello. I feel sad for Vettel, though. He really should have been up there.

P.S.: Happy birthday, Bill (Bogey). :)

P.S.#2: Firefox considers Barrichello as a perfectly English word. (It even offers me Fisichella when I spell the name incorrectly.) But the irony is that 'Firefox' is not a valid word. ;D

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Opus.  As the clock struck 1 AM here, I finally went to la-la land curled up on the couch.  Button was leading when I fell asleep, but Vettel was always lurking.  Redemption!  The race replays at 2 or so this afternoon, and I will try again. ;D

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »

Watched the complete replay....does not look like Vettel's fault, maybe both drivers?  Dude was still going on three wheels which was cool.  Was he black flagged, or did it finally become impossible to drive?

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »
I've just watched it via BBC's iPlayer (no time earlier in the day). Perhaps the most surprising thing in the race was a McLaren finishing in p3 and both Ferraris out of the points. This is remarkable because Ferrari looked to have a considerable advantage over McLaren in the previous days.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2009, 05:13:08 PM »
This is remarkable because Ferrari looked to have a considerable advantage over McLaren in the previous days.

And Toyota 3rd.  I am guessing that the rule changes are not "treating" Ferrari right now.

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
Three British teams in the top five constructors too - from a country which had its grand prix threatened by Ecclestone a few years ago in an attempt to get more government investment.

Hehe, I just finished watching the podium. Usually I find this part tedious and turn off, but I can't recall ever seeing two drivers as elated as Button and Rubens were :D It was really nice to see.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
Watched the complete replay....does not look like Vettel's fault, maybe both drivers?  Dude was still going on three wheels which was cool.  Was he black flagged, or did it finally become impossible to drive?

The Stewards, though, thought otherwise. He has received a 10-place penalty for the next race in Malaysia, and the team has been fined $50K for letting him drive like that. The way he apologised to the team immediately after the accident, it seemed that he was the one who made a mistake.

I've just watched it via BBC's iPlayer (no time earlier in the day). Perhaps the most surprising thing in the race was a McLaren finishing in p3 and both Ferraris out of the points. This is remarkable because Ferrari looked to have a considerable advantage over McLaren in the previous days.

As such, both teams' performances were lacklustre. Kimi's was a driver's fault, I presume. I missed the part where he crashed(?).
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 06:04:12 AM »
The Stewards, though, thought otherwise. He has received a 10-place penalty for the next race in Malaysia, and the team has been fined $50K for letting him drive like that. The way he apologised to the team immediately after the accident, it seemed that he was the one who made a mistake.

As such, both teams' performances were lacklustre. Kimi's was a driver's fault, I presume. I missed the part where he crashed(?).

For letting him drive with bad tires or after the wreck?  If after a wreck, why did the officials not give him a black flag?  Just curious.

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
For letting him drive with bad tires or after the wreck?

Yes, for driving around in a damaged car (and possibly also because it was under the Safety Car period).

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9098.html

If after a wreck, why did the officials not give him a black flag?  Just curious.

I don't know. My guess would be that, in principle, he could have gone into the pits to fix the car and could've come out again. There wasn't any particular reason to eliminate him then, as the decision to penalise him was taken after the race was over. As I said, that's just a guess.

Oh, BTW, where is John? I haven't seen him for a while.
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:24 AM »
Yes, for driving around in a damaged car (and possibly also because it was under the Safety Car period).

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9098.html

I don't know. My guess would be that, in principle, he could have gone into the pits to fix the car and could've come out again. There wasn't any particular reason to eliminate him then, as the decision to penalise him was taken after the race was over. As I said, that's just a guess.

Oh, BTW, where is John? I haven't seen him for a while.

Thanks!   Maybe it will be discussed a bit before the next race.

As for John, I heard he bet the lot on Team Ferarri ;D 

(Seriously, I do not know.  Hopefully he shows up soon.)

Offline MISHUGINA

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »
Judging from Brawn's dominant performance, F1 is going to be another borefest like Micheal Schumacher years.  ::)
mishuginaguide.blogspot.com

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 06:54:59 AM »
Judging from Brawn's dominant performance, F1 is going to be another borefest like Micheal Schumacher years.  ::)

Huh!?
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 06:57:05 AM »
As for John, I heard he bet the lot on Team Ferarri ;D 

(Seriously, I do not know.  Hopefully he shows up soon.)

;D I thought, with him being a Brit and all, he was with the boys from Woking. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 06:59:42 AM »

Hope that does not happen.  It would be nice to see it go back and forth.  Didn't Brawn assist in Schumacher's success though?  Ross seems to just get it done.

And Trulli/Toyota did not keep its 3rd place, which went to Hamilton and Ferrari:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9097.html

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 08:18:49 AM »
Hope that does not happen.  It would be nice to see it go back and forth.  Didn't Brawn assist in Schumacher's success though?  Ross seems to just get it done.

I never understood why he left Ferrari, really. It wasn't because his ability was declining.

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »
::) Oh dear ::)

Deserved, but none the less, it continues to make F1 look silly.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
::) Oh dear ::)

Deserved, but none the less, it continues to make F1 look silly.

So the whole team got thrown out?

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK