Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1819413 times)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15280 on: June 05, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »
Saw mention of the Casella Cello Sonatas. I do like Casella, seems to be worth considering.

In addition to a Brilliant Classics release

I saw an earlier release from Dynamic.

Out of print and it seems like a wild goose chase will be required to find it at a reasonable price (although downloads are available for sale). Anyone heard both who could offer an opinion?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:36:25 PM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15281 on: June 05, 2019, 06:19:42 PM »
Saw mention of the Casella Cello Sonatas. I do like Casella, seems to be worth considering.

In addition to a Brilliant Classics release

I saw an earlier release from Dynamic.

Out of print and it seems like a wild goose chase will be required to find it at a reasonable price (although downloads are available for sale). Anyone heard both who could offer an opinion?

Neither recording is outstanding, but, if I had to choose, the Brilliant Classics recording has better audio quality and the performances are stronger. One of the problems I have with both recordings is the cellist. Both cellists have harsh tones that do the music a disservice, but they’re the only games in town for these works. I’m still hoping that a better recording of them comes along soon, but I won’t hold my breath.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.