Author Topic: Recordings That You Are Considering  (Read 1746409 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings That You Are Considering
« Reply #15080 on: February 16, 2019, 12:01:14 AM »

Yes I know, it's Couperin on piano. (And I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov.) Any opinions despite that?

Here's a video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rp6r0
I really didn't like Kolesnikov and this already seems better. BUT I can't find this on any streaming, itunes or even amazon.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #15081 on: February 16, 2019, 12:26:44 AM »
Hi All - I'm currently reading the book on classic music below - really an excellent introduction and 'refresher' course for me - however, a nice 'starter' book for newbies - I'm on the several pages about Francois Couperin - already own plenty of CDs but was checking Amazon to see if there are any 'new' offerings on his harpsichord music - I currently own the Michael Borgstede box, but just saw that Olivier Baumont's set is now selling for only $26 USD on Amazon Prime - any comparative comments between these two performances/recordings? A review of Borgstede is attached.  Also, I know that others have recorded these works in toto or in large parts but many are OOP, hard to find, or overly expensive, BUT if other recommendations are in order, please comment.  Thanks as usual - Dave :)

I never liked Borgstede's F. Couperin much, and contrary to my expectations (he is one of my favourite harpsichordists) I wasn’t quite thrilled by Baumont. Haven't got an easy suggestion for a complete Couperin cycle on harpsichord, I'm afraid.

Hold out for a reissue of Christophe Rousset. Hopefully that might be soon.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #15082 on: February 16, 2019, 02:06:56 AM »
Here's a video:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rp6r0
I really didn't like Kolesnikov and this already seems better. BUT I can't find this on any streaming, itunes or even amazon.
It's on Qobuz. I think my main source of curiosity was that I wanted to listen to some Couperin but harpsichords are not good when I have migraines.

I listened to a couple of movements. If Kolesnikov can be somewhat on the Vartolo-ish interpretive end, Chalmeau is a bit more Moroney-ish, if that makes any sense. Literal.

I think there's a lot of untouched interpretive ground for a pianist interested in the repertoire—not only L. Couperin but Froberger & maybe Sweelinck or others.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #15083 on: February 16, 2019, 06:58:50 AM »

I think there's a lot of untouched interpretive ground for a pianist interested in the repertoire—not only L. Couperin but Froberger & maybe Sweelinck or others.

Let me know what you think of the new Jeremy Denk CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #15084 on: February 16, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
I'm somewhat allergic to bleeding chunks so I haven't listened to it. Not an awful concept though.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #15085 on: February 16, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
I never liked Borgstede's F. Couperin much, and contrary to my expectations (he is one of my favourite harpsichordists) I wasn’t quite thrilled by Baumont. Haven't got an easy suggestion for a complete Couperin cycle on harpsichord, I'm afraid.

Hold out for a reissue of Christophe Rousset. Hopefully that might be soon.

Hi Que - thanks for your comments on Borgstede & Baumont - on my comparison listening yesterday, found the performers similar to my ears - not sure you saw my other post, BUT last night, I ordered the new (released late in 2018 for the 350th Couperin anniversary) 10-CD box w/ Carole Cerasi from PrestoClassical - just $50+ (half the price being asked on Amazon USA) - some comments in the attachment but not much in the way of major reviews yet - may be taking a chance but own several CDs w/ her and enjoy.  Dave :)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • The Child is father of the Man
« Reply #15086 on: February 16, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
I still have mixed feelings about the Kolesnikov

So have I. Listened to it once, didn't like it (not enough romantic and cantabile to my tsate). Must listen again.
“Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife."  --- Schubert