Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 643163 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #5480 on: January 15, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
I've only recently bought the other set ... hmmmpf. Sucks if I have to buy much of the same again, but I'm definitely interested in more Schuricht.

Have you heard the EMI/Warner stuff (LvB, Bruckner)?
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
« Reply #5481 on: January 15, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »

Have you heard the EMI/Warner stuff (LvB, Bruckner)?

The Beethoven yes, and it's great. Only started exploring Bruckner recently, have arrived at the second symphony, so no Schuricht there yet (but Icon is here).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #5482 on: January 15, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
There is very good live 2nd Partita on youtube.

Thanks...it is good: the Sinfonia performed almost the way I hear it ideally in my head  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZws7DoISGU

Yes, thanks, Drasko & Sarge. Beautiful. :)
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Online Toccata&Fugue

« Reply #5483 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones

Offline JCBuckley

« Reply #5484 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:18 AM »
Yes, thanks, Drasko & Sarge. Beautiful. :)

You can hear Rana playing the Goldbergs at Wigmore Hall, earlier today, at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088jc2s

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #5485 on: January 16, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »

I'm sure I enjoy the irony of that cover.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    Probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #5486 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
You can hear Rana playing the Goldbergs at Wigmore Hall, earlier today, at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088jc2s

Thanks! Will give it a proper listen ASAP.
"I've grown used to this country and I love it. But there's one thing it doesn't have - quiet". Rachmaninoff musing on his hectic schedule in the USA.

Offline Angelos_05

« Reply #5487 on: January 16, 2017, 09:25:28 PM »

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7337
http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12045

In addition to being one of the 20th century’s great conductors, Leopold Stokowski (1882-1977) devoted much energy to transcribing works of Johann Sebastian Bach, tailoring them to suit the very special qualities of the great Philadelphia Orchestra with which his name was synonymous. A sequence of albums for RCA in the 1970s marked Stokowski’s last recordings, and material from that period comprises the final title in this batch of Dutton Epoch SACD reissues.
1975’s Stokowski conducts Bach – The Great Transcriptions, recorded by Bob Auger at St. Giles’ Church, Cripplegate, London, includes, among others, orchestral versions of Chaconne (from Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin), Preludio (from Partita No. 3 in E major for solo violin) and Aria (Air on the G-String) (from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major). Of the album’s final piece, Komm, süsser Tod, Stokwoski said, “This poignant and soul-searching melody was composed by Bach about 1736. It is one of the melodies published by Schemelli in his book of sacred songs, Musicalisches Gesangbuch. Bach edited the songbook, providing several of his own compositions and adding figured bass to other melodies. In giving this sublime melody orchestral expression, I have tried to imagine what Bach would do had he the rich resources of the orchestra of today at his disposal.” This release is completed by Stokowski’s arrangement of Brünnhilde’s Immolation, part of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung, the last of the cycle of four operas making up Der Ring des Nibelungen. Using RCA’s multi-track analogue masters from the 1974 sessions at Abbey Road Studios, Michael J. Dutton has created a superb new quadraphonic mix, and one that is a considerable improvement over the 1990s Dolby surround sound CD reissue.

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7337

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    The WTC
« Reply #5488 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:25 AM »

Wow, that gives me a giant flashback! My brother used to play that LP back in the 70s. Some of the first classical I ever heard. I haven't seen the cover (or heard it) since then.
It's all good...

Offline Richard

« Reply #5489 on: January 17, 2017, 06:52:57 PM »
This will be good news to those who missed out on the big EMI box that went OOP a few years ago.

40 CDs and 3 DVDs. The EMI set was 26 CDs and 2 DVDs. Curious to see what's new from the rest of the Warner archive.

Here's the link on JPC

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/mstislav-rostropovich-cellist-of-the-century/hnum/5790724
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Offline Richard

« Reply #5490 on: January 18, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
Looks like the Takacs Quartet's Beethoven cycle is getting a remastering treatment similar to Kertesz's Dvorak.

Unlike the Kertesz, I though the audio quality of the original release was pretty good. I'm not sure how much the sound can be improved by remastering.

Still, the luxury box treatment would be nice, and very appropriate for such an esteemed cycle.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #5491 on: January 18, 2017, 04:33:06 AM »
Drat, in that I bought 2/3 of the Takacs cycle not all that long ago. A year or so.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #5492 on: January 18, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
This is an unusual gimmick:

One brother handles D. 899, the other brother handles D. 935, and then they do some duos.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #5493 on: January 19, 2017, 03:21:29 AM »

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #5494 on: January 19, 2017, 04:07:43 AM »
Amazon.us already has it listed as unavailable.  Your posts must have caused a buy-a-thon depleting the inventory!

:D
Hah!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #5495 on: January 19, 2017, 06:30:04 AM »

Thanks for posting North Star:)

When available, this will be a welcome release.

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #5496 on: January 19, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
This is an unusual gimmick:

One brother handles D. 899, the other brother handles D. 935, and then they do some duos.

They're huge in the Netherlands and are actually not bad. This release is a few years old already though.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • Blog
« Reply #5497 on: January 19, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
Looks like the Takacs Quartet's Beethoven cycle is getting a remastering treatment similar to Kertesz's Dvorak.

Unlike the Kertesz, I though the audio quality of the original release was pretty good. I'm not sure how much the sound can be improved by remastering.

Still, the luxury box treatment would be nice, and very appropriate for such an esteemed cycle.

This is cool! They are terrific recordings, certainly worth the remaster and repackaging

Offline Richard

« Reply #5498 on: January 19, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »
Another big'un on the way in April. This time from New York:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627

Offline Richard

« Reply #5499 on: January 19, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
For those who like such things. I don't think there's anything here that wasn't released the four big DG boxes over the past few years.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK