Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1101925 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #6660 on: October 21, 2017, 05:56:54 AM »
The fourth: you forget Järvi grandpère.

No, judging by current fame, my statement was correct. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #6661 on: October 22, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
More pictures of the Warner Debussy mega-box, which is now on pre-order for 76,67 € (nice symmeticral number  ;)) at amazon.it:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:16:17 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #6662 on: October 22, 2017, 07:33:28 AM »
Looks like a beautiful set.  I might end up getting it simply to have all of those wonderful cover designs.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6663 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
Looks like Warner has licensed music from other labels, too: Francois-Xavier Roth is listed (HIP Debussy on the label Musicales Actes Sud); Cleveland/Boulez sounds like DG; and the four-hand piano music will be Armengaud/Chauzu, which is Naxos.

Who is this? I can't find any info online.

Spineur

« Reply #6664 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
The thing I do like in this set is the choice for the front cover

The great wave off Kanagawa by the 19th century japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai.  The original is at the Rijksmuseum.  It is the artist view of a Tsunami

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #6665 on: October 22, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

The great wave off Kanagawa by the 19th century japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai.  The original is at the Rijksmuseum.  It is the artist view of a Tsunami

Beautiful. The wave, with claws, is about to ensnare everything.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #6666 on: October 22, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Looks like Warner has licensed music from other labels, too: Francois-Xavier Roth is listed (HIP Debussy on the label Musicales Actes Sud); Cleveland/Boulez sounds like DG; and the four-hand piano music will be Armengaud/Chauzu, which is Naxos.

Could also be Columbia/Sony.  He recorded some Debussy with the Cleveland Orchestra for them as well.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6667 on: October 22, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
Just found it on Estonian Wikipedia...that's Neeme's brother! His father was a hairdresser :)

EDIT: Here's a new release:

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #6668 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
His father was a hairdresser :)
Why discriminate against hairdressers??? They're the real artists. 8)
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #6669 on: October 22, 2017, 07:57:01 AM »
Who is this? I can't find any info online.
Yes...that struck me too..

Who does not appear is Jean-Efflam Bavouzet (although the list of pianists is followed by "..."). Thus, this means that the solo piano versions of Khamma and Jeux may be new recordings, and not Bavouzet's from Chandos...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:21:17 PM by ritter »
Ritter

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6670 on: October 22, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »
Just found it on Estonian Wikipedia...that's Neeme's brother! His father was a hairdresser :)

Per Christo, that Järvi is more famous than Kristjan.  I'm not so sure, but then I'm not Estonian.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #6671 on: October 22, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
More pictures of the Warner Debussy mega-box, which is now on pre-order for 76,67 € (nice symmeticral number  ;)) at amazon.it:

Gorgeous looking set, Rafael. I’ll definitely be acquiring it once it’s released.
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Toru Takemitsu (1930 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of a flock descending across the pentagonal garden
« Reply #6672 on: October 22, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »
Looks like a new Tippett release of Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2 from Brabbins and BBC Scottish SO on Hyperion:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8367117--tippett-symphonies-nos-1-2
"Music should be able to invoke the natural emotions in all human beings. Music is not notes fixed on apiece of paper.” - Toru Takemitsu

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6673 on: October 22, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
I have tried to figure out the contents of the new 100 CD DHM box by using the info on Amazon.de to search the original albums. Most of the CDs are in alphabetical order according to composer, with the last ones dedicated to thematic compilations. The list is not complete and may have a few errors, but until the official listing shows up might still be of some use. Only a fraction of the CDs were included in the two previous DHM 50 CD boxes, but if you have bought some of the earlier DHM 10 CD boxes on specific composers or groups, there will be more overlap. I think I have about 25% of the recordings already, which still makes the new box a tempting proposition.

Disc: 1 C.P.E. Bach: Hamburger Sinfonien & Concertos
Disc: 96 Los Otros: Tinto
Disc: 97 ?
Disc: 98 Christmas Music
Disc: 99 Christmas Music - Tölzer Knabenchor

Thank you very much, I searched for such info and realised it would be quite difficult to gather it.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #6674 on: October 22, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »

To the US, this will be about EUR73 all in (with VAT removed and shipping added). The Amazon US price is currently a hair under $90. So more or less similar, and both with a release date of Jan 5. It really does have a nice look.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #6675 on: October 22, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »

Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?  ;)
Ritter

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #6676 on: October 23, 2017, 12:35:05 AM »
The artwork on that Debussy set looks like it was done by Roger Dean. They wouldn't look out of place on a Yes album cover.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6677 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:11 AM »

Régis Allard Clerambaut & Dandrieu: fabulous organ, excellent sound, inspired performances. The Clicquot at Houdan  on the recording sounds a bit like the Dom Bedos at Bordeaux in real life. One Dandrieu suite, and two Clerambaut, so musically not totally unsatisfying either.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:30:51 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6678 on: October 23, 2017, 06:40:20 AM »

Price dropped to €99,99.  Shipping to the US is set to €3.  After subtracting the VAT, this brings the total price to $102.  I'm tempted.  Of course, at that shipping rate, they would probably end up sending the package the slowest freight method possible - that's what Amazon France did when I ordered the Casadesus Edition many years ago and was charged about the same for shipping - but I'm in no hurry.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #6679 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
Thanks! I always mistook conductor Vallo Järvi (1923-1994) for the dynasty's - see https://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Järvide_suguvõsa  founder - actually, he was just the (much) older brother of Neeme (born 1937): https://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallo_Järvi

See also: https://estonia.ee/estonias-greatest-musical-family-the-jarvis
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948