Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1208245 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #8380 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »

The Dowland cycle split up by various lute things, I can assure you that the Dowland is imaginative and original, on the basis of listening to it for 15 minutes, with some surprising embellishments and emotions.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:06:17 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #8381 on: February 13, 2019, 11:06:27 AM »

The Dowland cycle split up by various lute things, I can assure you that the Dowland is imaginative and original, on the basis of listening to it for 15 minutes, with some surprising embellishments and emotions.

The thought of splitting the Lacrimae movements (the seven tears) up by lute pieces gives me cold shivering down my spine - feels almost as bad as if Brahms' Haydn variations were split up by the piano version of some of his Hungarian dances. But one can of course burn a CDR with the pieces in the (by the composer) intended order.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #8382 on: February 13, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Mandryka.
I seriously don't need another Lachrimae recording, but after sampling this disc I think I want another one!  ;D
This performance is lovely and as you initially mentioned, filled with emotions. Will more than likely be ordering soon.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8383 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:58 PM »
I thought the treble viol, which they’ve borrowed from a museum, is very beautiful.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #8384 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

That's quartets 5 and 7 plus the piano quintet.

Yes, this is the second Lars Vogt Triple Concerto CD in two years - the first on Ondine with the Tetzlaffs is superb.

42 CDs

5 CDs

CPO coming soon
Offenbach - Folies symphoniques - Griffiths/Brandenburg Staatsorchester
Alfvén - Symphonies vol 2 - Borowicz/Deutsches SO Berlin

Other coming soon
Augustin Hadelich violin concerto coupling of Brahms and Ligeti on Warner

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8385 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
I await with a mixture of excitement and dread the next instalment of Casals Beethoven. Ditto, but for very different reasons, Fray/Capuçon Bach,

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8386 on: February 15, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »

I have no idea what sort of piano he's playing, I think that the USSR had their own piano brands, but I also know that there were good Hamburg Steinways in the USSR. It reminds me of a early Richter recording, this one

The recital opens with a Bach suite, BWV 818a, which he plays like a pianist, you have to be prepared to go with the flow. In the sarabande he adopts a tear-drop tone in pianissimos. You will either think it's magic, he makes time stand still. Or you will think it's vulgar kitsch. Or both, inclusive or. In the gigue the steely properties of the piano come to the fore -- love it or loathe it? Or both?

Next up is a bunch of Scarlatti sonatas, again that juxtaposition of tear drop kitsch and steel.  I am glad to have heard it because you can compare and contrast with the recording on DG, and when you do you hear how the musician is responding to the properties of the instrument he's playing.

This is followed by Beethoven op 10/2 -- I didn't know that he gave concerts with that one. The opening music has the requisite combination of power and playfulness, and he can play with memorable impish lightness when he wants to. The only downside for me is the slightly hard piano tone when he plays loud, but nevertheless it's great fun. I wish Pletnev had recorded more solo Beethoven.

The recital ends with the Chopin B minor sonata and a few small pieces -- a waltz, some nocturnes. The op 58 is quite a demanding performance, the way he highlights the contrast between introspective and extrovert passages is interesting in the first and third movements, and I'm pleased to say he avoids kitschy teardrops here. Does it wonder formlessly? I think it will repay frequent listening. What it doesn't have is the impressionistic colours of the DG recording of the sonata -- and hence for me this is a really valuable new contribution.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:30:28 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8387 on: February 16, 2019, 07:03:22 AM »

The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #8388 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:01 AM »
Khatia does Ophelia?

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8389 on: February 16, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »
Khatia does Ophelia?

My thoughts when I saw the cover. 

I think I'll stream this one.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8390 on: February 16, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »

I've heard their Beethoven, they make a distinctive noise, at the level of timbre and of blend, even harmonically distinctive I think, the temperament, and they play aggressively, which could be quite amusing in later Bartok - 4 in this case. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:23:01 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #8391 on: February 21, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »

I have no idea what sort of piano he's playing, I think that the USSR had their own piano brands, but I also know that there were good Hamburg Steinways in the USSR. It reminds me of a early Richter recording, this one

The recital opens with a Bach suite, BWV 818a, which he plays like a pianist, you have to be prepared to go with the flow. In the sarabande he adopts a tear-drop tone in pianissimos. You will either think it's magic, he makes time stand still. Or you will think it's vulgar kitsch. Or both, inclusive or. In the gigue the steely properties of the piano come to the fore -- love it or loathe it? Or both?

Next up is a bunch of Scarlatti sonatas, again that juxtaposition of tear drop kitsch and steel.  I am glad to have heard it because you can compare and contrast with the recording on DG, and when you do you hear how the musician is responding to the properties of the instrument he's playing.

This is followed by Beethoven op 10/2 -- I didn't know that he gave concerts with that one. The opening music has the requisite combination of power and playfulness, and he can play with memorable impish lightness when he wants to. The only downside for me is the slightly hard piano tone when he plays loud, but nevertheless it's great fun. I wish Pletnev had recorded more solo Beethoven.

The recital ends with the Chopin B minor sonata and a few small pieces -- a waltz, some nocturnes. The op 58 is quite a demanding performance, the way he highlights the contrast between introspective and extrovert passages is interesting in the first and third movements, and I'm pleased to say he avoids kitschy teardrops here. Does it wonder formlessly? I think it will repay frequent listening. What it doesn't have is the impressionistic colours of the DG recording of the sonata -- and hence for me this is a really valuable new contribution.

Thanks, Mandryka; nice review!
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8392 on: February 21, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:01:13 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8394 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »

I want it right now.

A reissue I would not mind hearing at all.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8395 on: February 24, 2019, 07:42:50 AM »

About time.  I wonder if Ashkar's cycle will be released in full before the end of 2020.  I hope so.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #8396 on: February 25, 2019, 12:57:38 AM »
Of course...I just realised 2020 is the 250th of Beethoven's birth. As if we don't already have a ton of Beethoven releases every month already...the record companies and concert halls are gonna go nuts over him.

In other news, we have a surprising lack of Naxos April news so far on this thread. We've usually got it by now.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #8397 on: February 27, 2019, 02:53:27 AM »

Has this one been trailed here?  I can't remember seeing it. 
The Bach Sonatas & Partitas played by Jaakko Kuusisto.  Out now (and briefly on offer, hi-rez for standard price at eClassical)

His instrument is an old one, 1702, and he plays it sweetly, but listening briefly to the samples it seems (over?)saturated with bright reverberation.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #8398 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »

Has this one been trailed here?  I can't remember seeing it. 
The Bach Sonatas & Partitas played by Jaakko Kuusisto.  Out now (and briefly on offer, hi-rez for standard price at eClassical)

While - funny enough - I can't become saturated by the cello suites, I have now for some time, and after having owned about 30 sets of the violin S&P's, got oversaturated by the violin pieces. For that reason I do not keep myself much updated as to new recordings. Despite this I still enjoy harpsichord transcriptions of the violin pieces, so maybe I have got an idiosyncratic relation to the violin as an instrument.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #8399 on: February 28, 2019, 02:42:53 AM »
It's just not possible to keep up with the never-ending new releases.  It's more of a priority to have time to listen to the recordings that I know I like the best.