Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1273573 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #8520 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
The Pettersson recording will be of interest for the fragment of the 17th symphony.

The concerto seems to have been recorded in the revised version, not the original (technically more arduous) that Ida Haendel performed with Blomstedt. It will be the revised version’s second recording then, after the slightly disappointing one with Isabelle Faust on CPO. Maybe Wallin will make a better case for it. Haendel’s disc is one of the himalayan peaks of the recorded violin repertoire.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #8521 on: March 24, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
The Pettersson recording will be of interest for the fragment of the 17th symphony.

The concerto seems to have been recorded in the revised version, not the original (technically more arduous) that Ida Haendel performed with Blomstedt. It will be the revised version’s second recording then, after the slightly disappointing one with Isabelle Faust on CPO. Maybe Wallin will make a better case for it. Haendel’s disc is one of the himalayan peaks of the recorded violin repertoire.

Surely you meant Isabelle van Keulen?
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #8522 on: March 24, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
Yes ! Wrong Isabelle  ;).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #8523 on: March 24, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #8524 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »

+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8525 on: March 28, 2019, 02:55:27 AM »

Harpsichord after a Christian Vater instrument. I've not heard all of it, but I can say that she plays with authority and naturalness, and there's a great sense of variety. It's nice.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:04:47 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8526 on: March 28, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »

This is on Qobuz and I’ve started to listen to what seems to me an excellent performance of the first symphony. The booklet essay by Helmut Luek is well worth reading, details about Rosbaud’s life and style, I thought this was worth thinking about:

It is quite interesting that the interpretative approach regarding the first recordings of Brahms’ Symphonies Nos.1 and 3 and that of their second recordings is markedly different: the earlier recordings focus on details of their form, their contrapuntal structure and on transparency as to the single groups of instru- ments whereas in the later recordings Rosbaud aims at providing a more compact and con- densed overview of the works. Undoubtedly, both symphonies benefit from these different approaches as they each provide a specific un- derstanding of the piece in question, not least for the listener. The chronological order of the recordings presents a portrait of the respective symphony from two different angles – centred on detail on the one hand and on overview on the other hand.

It was Arnold Schönberg who already rejected the view that Brahms was a conservative academic. For Schönberg Brahms was “progressive” because of  his detailed composition technique that did not only anticipate important developments of the 20th century but actually prepared the ground for them. This virtually structural leg- acy went far beyond the influence Brahms had on his contemporaries and complements – as a structural principle – the harmonious “progress” from Wagner to Schönberg. It goes without saying that Rosbaud, as a Schönberg expert, clearly points out and highlights this connection and thus takes Brahms’ oeuvre out of the environment of Romantic music and em- beds it in epoch-spanning continuity.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #8527 on: March 28, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »

Harpsichord after a Christian Vater instrument. I've not heard all of it, but I can say that she plays with authority and naturalness, and there's a great sense of variety. It's nice.

Thanks for posting this. I like her Book 1 very much and did not know her Book 2 was out.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8528 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I like her Book 1 very much and did not know her Book 2 was out.

I think the Bk 2 very good indeed.

When I commented before I was listening on the small system, on my full range speakers the sound is excellent, the harpsichord is well balanced.

It also reveals what a fabulous harpsichordist she is now, with the ability to produce colour and to manage touch and attack creatively.

I heard her play this more than five years ago in a concert, and the recording was made at the end of last year. She has spent a lot of time working on the music, evidently. It shows!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:10:15 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #8529 on: March 28, 2019, 11:35:31 PM »

This is on Qobuz and I’ve started to listen to what seems to me an excellent performance of the first symphony. The booklet essay by Helmut Luek is well worth reading, details about Rosbaud’s life and style, I thought this was worth thinking about:

Interesting, but I do have to wonder how one can present a more compact and condensed overview of a work by playing it.  A problem with translation?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8530 on: March 29, 2019, 12:33:26 AM »
Interesting, but I do have to wonder how one can present a more compact and condensed overview of a work by playing it.  A problem with translation?

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #8531 on: March 29, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »

That Strauss looks an especially handy way of filling any gaps in your collection.

The real question here is whether Michael McHale is up to the challenges of the Burleske.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #8532 on: March 29, 2019, 01:06:12 AM »

Korngold, apart from his other compositional projects, devoted for a period much energy and time arranging and reviving operettas, his efforts reportedly often surpassing the originals. If this is not just a one-off but the beginning of a series of recordings, it's very good news.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #8533 on: March 29, 2019, 05:21:04 AM »
I don't remember if this has been posted before, but released today:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #8534 on: March 30, 2019, 07:46:59 AM »

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8535 on: March 30, 2019, 11:46:48 PM »

Rather nice! A dentist's drill but none the worse for that.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #8536 on: March 30, 2019, 11:51:56 PM »

Available for streaming/download April 19

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #8537 on: March 31, 2019, 02:23:55 AM »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8538 on: March 31, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »

Is this going to be it? Is this going to be a really interesting Pachelbel disc? Or is the music just irredeemable? There's a comment in the interesting booklet essay of the first CD (which I enjoyed very much) which caught my attention and helped me to set my expectations appropriately

Pachelbel’s music aims at balance and equilibrium rather than originality,

and the essay goes on to suggest that this conservatism benefits from being counterbalanced by colourful timbres.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:28:24 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8539 on: April 04, 2019, 01:00:04 AM »

(Kiehr has a nice voice.)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:08:21 AM by Mandryka »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.