Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 848795 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
Re: New Releases
« Reply #6800 on: November 08, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »
Did they really need to leave in the Sears catalog information? I'll get it anyway...and I think that's the first time I've seen a recording give the Italian names for those works, so at least one thing is good about the cover

Indeed. What a strange cover design. I had to look at it several times to see if it was a mistake and, apparently, it’s not. ::) I haven’t heard any of Neschling’s Respighi, so I can’t say how he has done with this composer’s music. Right now, Geoffrey Simon is my favorite Respighi conductor. Of the 3 or 4 Church Windows I own, I still have yet to hear any conductor better Simon’s performance with The Philharmonia on Chandos.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6801 on: November 08, 2017, 06:09:44 PM »
This will be the 5th Respighi disc by Neschling on the BIS label, and the 4th with the Liège orchestra. Programming is good, each disc gathering well known and not so well known works.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6802 on: November 08, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

New completion (2016). Anyone heard this ? Sample clips are quite interesting.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #6803 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
This will be the 5th Respighi disc by Neschling on the BIS label, and the 4th with the Liège orchestra. Programming is good, each disc gathering well known and not so well known works.

But, what do you make of the performances? Worth picking up?
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #6804 on: November 08, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »

New completion (2016). Anyone heard this ? Sample clips are quite interesting.

I streamed it the other night, right away a few noticeable differences in this edition, which I liked, but I don't know this piece well enough to completely judge this completion. But I will more than likely pick it up soon, the sound is great and of course the performance in brilliant.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6805 on: November 08, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »

Neschling is never less than very good and the Liège orchestra is excellent. Can’t say he’s a new Stokie, though. For Church Windows I love Ormandy, Dorati and Simon, so I’m not sure I’ll buy this new Neschling issue - or maybe I will, as the coupling is interesting  ;D.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #6806 on: November 08, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Neschling is never less than very good and the Liège orchestra is excellent. Can’t say he’s a new Stokie, though. For Church Windows I love Ormandy, Dorati and Simon, so I’m not sure I’ll buy this new Neschling issue - or maybe I will, as the coupling is interesting  ;D.

Thanks for the feedback, Andre. I’ll just stick with Simon. 8)

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #6807 on: November 09, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
It seems to be the time for whopping massive box sets! First Karajan's 356-disc record-breaker, now that Bernstein set. And we recently had a Solti "complete recordings" set too.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6808 on: November 09, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Andre. I’ll just stick with Simon. 8)

That's my hunch too, esp if you like Simon, Dorati and Ormandy. Neschling is a very good conductor, but he's never struck me as an imaginative colourist (in Tchaikovsky's first symphony for example, although his Mahler Resurrection is quite good in that respect).

When it comes to the brazilian repertoire (Villa Lobos, Guarnieri, Mignone, Santoro) that's another story. I found out his grandmother was first cousin to Schoenberg and had also been married to conductor Arthur Bodanzky. The Neschlings fled Austria before the anschluss and settled in Brazil, of all places. John was born in Rio in 1947. Interesting!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #6809 on: November 09, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
That's my hunch too, esp if you like Simon, Dorati and Ormandy. Neschling is a very good conductor, but he's never struck me as an imaginative colourist (in Tchaikovsky's first symphony for example, although his Mahler Resurrection is quite good in that respect).

When it comes to the brazilian repertoire (Villa Lobos, Guarnieri, Mignone, Santoro) that's another story. I found out his grandmother was first cousin to Schoenberg and had also been married to conductor Arthur Bodanzky. The Neschlings fled Austria before the anschluss and settled in Brazil, of all places. John was born in Rio in 1947. Interesting!

Yes! He’s outstanding in Brazilian repertoire. I love his Villa-Lobos and Guarnieri.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6810 on: November 10, 2017, 06:55:49 AM »

A super-budget reissue of Jean Muller's LvB cycle.  Peter Roesel's cycle is also being reissued as a pricey UHQCD set.

Also, no picture yet, but Piotr Anderszewski has a new disc coming of Mozart Piano Concertos with the COE - 25 & 27.  I'll be getting that one.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6811 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

The main attraction of the series is the sound - sumptuous, clear, humongous dynamic range, SACD if you have 5 channels. I put on Pines of Rome for my parents and my mom complained she could barely hear the birds chirping...and then the finale had the windows literally shaking!

It's my reference Roman Trilogy for the combo of performance and sound, but if you try one, I would say go for the one with Brazilian Impressions and La Boutique Fantasque. Super fun, gives you a great idea what Neschling is up to. Elsewhere in the series, I thought the Sinfonia drammatica was a boring piece. Not sure how others do with it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:55:38 AM by Brian »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #6812 on: November 10, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
The main attraction of the series is the sound - sumptuous, clear, humongous dynamic range, SACD if you have 5 channels. I put on Pines of Rome for my parents and my mom complained she could barely hear the birds chirping...and then the finale had the windows literally shaking!

It's my reference Roman Trilogy for the combo of performance and sound, but if you try one, I would say go for the one with Brazilian Impressions and La Boutique Fantasque. Super fun, gives you a great idea what Neschling is up to. Elsewhere in the series, I thought the Sinfonia drammatica was a boring piece. Not sure how others do with it.

Sinfonia drammatica is a boring work, you’ve got that one right. :) Thanks for the feedback, B.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #6813 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »

It's my reference Roman Trilogy for the combo of performance and sound...

Neschling/Roman Trilogy on Amazon for $50, is this one out of print, Brian?

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #6814 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »
Neschling/Roman Trilogy on Amazon for $50, is this one out of print, Brian?
Try here, Greg.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #6815 on: November 10, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
Try here, Greg.

You're the best, Karlo! Thanks!

Offline Orpheus

« Reply #6816 on: November 11, 2017, 04:47:22 AM »
January 2018...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:22:54 AM by Que »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #6817 on: November 11, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »

Ablitzer Bruna
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:25:41 AM by Que »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6818 on: November 11, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
I wouldn't call the Sinfonia Drammatica decidedly boring, not in the Gunzenhauser recording, though it might be considered overblown late romanticism, if one is in the mood for such characterizations.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #6819 on: November 11, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
This two-CD album is coming

First album: Orion and the Pleiades for Cello and orchestra
Dreamtime for orchestra
Family tree musical verses for young people

2nd Album
A string around autumn
Nosthalgia
Star-Isle
Requiem

The sound in the samples I listened to is very good.  I may get it although I have most of album 2 in other versions.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK