Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1068352 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: New Releases
« Reply #7020 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:29 AM »
No images yet and often no details available, but here is a teaser of what you can expect in MARCH:

- transcriptions of Bach's Brandenburgs for two pianos, feat. Jenny Lin and Eleonor Bindman (a student of Vladimir Feltsman's)
- Dmitry Sitkovetsky has recorded the complete Mozart violin sonatas. Pianists Antonio Pappano and Konstantin Lifschitz
- Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (complete) - Baltimore/Alsop/Naxos
- Hovhaness wind band music from Naxos
- Lars Vogt playing and conducting Beethoven piano concertos 2 and 4 (Ondine)
- Mozart's complete Masonic music, HIP on BIS
- Beethoven's Missa solemnis with the Bach Collegium Japan and Suzuki, on BIS with James Gilchrist
- Hannu Lintu conducting a BIS album of new compositions by Sebastian Fagerlund, including a 6-movement guitar concerto
- box sets for Thomas Fey's Mendelssohn and Yannick Nezet-Seguin's Bruckner, plus a reissue of Immerseel's Beethoven cycle

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7021 on: January 12, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
- Hovhaness wind band music from Naxos

Fresh or reissue, do you know?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7022 on: January 12, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
Fresh or reissue, do you know?
Fresh. Featuring the students of a university in Washington State that I'd never heard of (but general prestige is not always an indicator of the quality of a university's band...).

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7023 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
The Karajan Symphonies box would be cheaper.

A remaster of his Bruckner 5 is intriguing, but it's already a very good recording.

FWIW, the discs in the Karajan '70 box list both Bruckner 5 and Bruckner 8 as "Original Image Bit-Processing." (I didn't check the rest of them.) That means that they symphonies have been remastered, at least compared with the original CD issues, which predated OIBP. I don't know if the Karajan Symphonies Box designates Bruckner 5 and 8 as OIBP masters.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7024 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
Fresh. Featuring the students of a university in Washington State that I'd never heard of (but general prestige is not always an indicator of the quality of a university's band...).

Cool.  Was just reflecting with an old colleague what a good ear Hovhaness had for winds.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #7025 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
FWIW, the discs in the Karajan '70 box list both Bruckner 5 and Bruckner 8 as "Original Image Bit-Processing." (I didn't check the rest of them.) That means that they symphonies have been remastered, at least compared with the original CD issues, which predated OIBP. I don't know if the Karajan Symphonies Box designates Bruckner 5 and 8 as OIBP masters.

It doesn't say anything about OIBP in the booklet for the Symphonies box.  On the box it says Ⓟ2008, and the 70s box was released in 2013.

This Japanese SHM-CD issue is from 2014

and Amazon gives no useful info about another import listing from 2017, but the sellers are in Japan:

It is probably just a re-printing of the 2014 CD.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:52:36 AM by Daverz »

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7026 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
It doesn't say anything about OIBP in the booklet for the Symphonies box.  On the box is says Ⓟ2008, and the 70s box was released in 2013.

I had this:

which was the same as this (which I also had at one point)

They are a 1990 master (pre-OIBP)

I assumed that the symphony edition was just a re-boxing of the previously released masters. Sometimes they put "Original Image Bit Processing" on the disc itself, if not in the booklet. That's how it is in the 70's box. No mention of the master date in the extensive booklet, but Original Image Bit Processing is printed on the CD itself.

I'm not particularly sold on Original Image Bit Processing itself, it's just that for later masters they are more likely to go back to original source tapes, rather than just use the master they prepared for cutting the LP. The original Bruckner 5 CD sounded very good to me, but the Bruckner 8 sounded more compressed and congested, and that was the one I though might benefit from a remaster. I should listen to the disc from the Karajan 70's box and see if it has indeed improved.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:56:53 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #7027 on: January 12, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
but Original Image Bit Processing is printed on the CD itself.

No OIBP on the discs, and in fact No. 5 is split across 2 discs with No. 1 in the same configuration as the original CD release.

I'm not particularly sold on Original Image Bit Processing itself, it's just that for later masters they are more likely to go back to original source tapes, rather than just use the master they prepared for cutting the LP. The original Bruckner 5 CD sounded very good to me, but the Bruckner 8 sounded more compressed and congested, and that was the one I though might benefit from a remaster. I should listen to the disc from the Karajan 70's box and see if it has indeed improved.

I hear you.  I sometimes regret replacing some of the early EMI issues with the ART issues without listening more carefully.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7028 on: January 12, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
It’s annoying that some reissues that time around 80-82 minutes are on 2 cds, while others are on 1. This DG set of Bruckner symphonies has the 5th (80’49’’) spread across 2 discs, while the DG WP Bruckner 8th (Karajan again) is on one disc of 82’58’’. This is plain sloppy.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7029 on: January 12, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
It’s annoying that some reissues that time around 80-82 minutes are on 2 cds, while others are on 1. This DG set of Bruckner symphonies has the 5th (80’49’’) spread across 2 discs, while the DG WP Bruckner 8th (Karajan again) is on one disc of 82’58’’. This is plain sloppy.

It's a legacy. That disc containing the 5th and 1st is a budget price issue of a 2CD set that was mastered in 1990, when CDs were limited to about 72 minutes. And I still have the original issue of that Karajan WP Bruckner 8th, which was on two full price discs with no filler. :(

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7030 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
In the Karajan Symphony Edition box the Bruckner 5th is similarly split, whereas the Tchaikovsky 1+2 disc times at 80’16’’. Same box, different editorial decisions... :o

The One

« Reply #7031 on: January 13, 2018, 01:43:35 AM »

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #7032 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
Coming out in February.. 24 CDs vs 33 in the Warner box.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:14:40 AM by North Star »
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7033 on: January 13, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
In the Karajan Symphony Edition box the Bruckner 5th is similarly split, whereas the Tchaikovsky 1+2 disc times at 80’16’’. Same box, different editorial decisions... :o

I'd ascribe it to different strata. For those super bargain sets they try very hard to use discs already manufactured. The Bruckner came from discs released in 1990, the Tchaikovsky discs they got from 2-fer sets mastered at a much later date when CD players could handle longer programs.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7034 on: January 13, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
You mean that they assemble these reissues by culling from an existing stock of unsold dics ?

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7035 on: January 13, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
You mean that they assemble these reissues by culling from an existing stock of unsold dics ?

No, just that they do not want to go to the expense of making a new pressing master. It appears that they press discs exactly as they appeared in previous sets with a new artwork and catalog number appropriate to the new compilation.

Spineur

« Reply #7036 on: January 14, 2018, 02:59:53 AM »
2 CDs.  First one has some of the pieces Gounod presented for the prix de Rome.  Fernand is the piece which got him the prize and is a fine piece of music. Second CD  has La messe vocale and Messe de Saint-Louis-des-Français.   Saint-Louis-des-Français is a church in Rome with some of the finest Caravaggio paintings.  Cannot be missed if you visit Rome. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:02:07 AM by Spineur »

Online GioCar

« Reply #7037 on: January 14, 2018, 03:10:10 AM »
Coming out in February.. 24 CDs vs 33 in the Warner box.

9 CDs is a lot.. I guess all the transcriptions will be absent from that box but also...anything else?

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #7038 on: January 14, 2018, 03:20:49 AM »
9 CDs is a lot.. I guess all the transcriptions will be absent from that box but also...anything else?
Indeed - actually the difference is 11 CDs - P&M is on 2 DVDs, so the box only has 22 CDs. No proper listing of contents here either.
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/album/debussy-100.html
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The One

« Reply #7039 on: January 14, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »