Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1159154 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: New Releases
« Reply #7200 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
Hold on to your butts! It's time to see what we're getting in

APRIL

Starting with a real humdinger on Alpha:

I guess that dude got his cello back.

Petrushka - 1947 version
Firebird - 1919 suite

(He plays on modern horns, I must warn, for the HIPsters.)

"The genesis of this release was Dan Laurin’s idea to commission a concerto for recorder and symphony orchestra. He had performed a number of such works already, but felt that the new, more powerful ‘Eagle’ recorder developed by the maker Adriana Breukink could help with avoiding the usual problems with balance between soloist and orchestra. Having interested the Gävle Symphony Orchestra in the project, he then approached the Italian composer Vito Palumbo – and the ball was set in motion! In 2013, after an intense collaboration between composer and soloist, the concerto was finished – a single movement almost thirty minutes long, and according to Laurin ‘by far the most difficult piece I have ever encountered’. The ‘Eagle Concerto’ is here coupled with two earlier concertante works by Palumbo, featuring Dan Laurin’s close chamber music partners, harpsichordist Anna Paradiso and cellist Mats Olofsson. All three works differ greatly in style, forming a complex portrait of the composer. Palumbo himself describes the lightly scored Concerto Barocco as ‘a reappropriation of the baroque style’, while the large-scale Cello Concerto is intended as a tribute to Shostakovich. The Recorder Concerto, finally, is in the words of its creator ‘a large poetic fresco that to my mind is truly operatic’."

(yes, that's on vinyl)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #7201 on: February 19, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
Ooooh, I want that Piau NOW!

I guess if they hadn't had the horrible water damage last week at the local distributor's I'd already have it ... but they'll be busy cleaning up the mess so I'm going to wait inquiring for two or three weeks ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7202 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
APRIL - PART II

One of the 19th century's most notable women is having a moment:

Noteworthy for all the world premieres.

I like the behind the back violin trick.

Recorded live at Wigmore Hall over three years and nine recitals. As well as the complete piano sonatas, the release also features other works including the 32 Variations in C minor, Eroica Variations, Opus 126 Bagatelles and the Diabelli Variations, a total of almost 14 hours of music. This is Williams’ fourth album on Signum Classics. Williams comments on the album and the partnership with Sherman: “Rather than adopt the chronological approach, I have arranged the works roughly in the order that I played them in the concerts... This has sometimes allowed for creativity in putting the pieces together. Working with Judy on this project has been a joy and a privilege. It was sad to reach the end – but at least we still have a Schubert cycle to look forward to!”

A release for which we have a back cover but not a front:

And Ondine doesn't have any artwork yet but here is their April lineup:

PIAE CANTIONES
Composer(s):   TRADITIONAL
Artist(s):   FINNISH RADIO CHAMBER CHOIR NUORANNE NOSTER RITARIT
Label:   ONDINE (ODE)

This re-issue of early Medieval vocal music from Finland includes a unique reconstruction of 14th and 15th century Gregorian music that was performed in Finland in the memory of St. Henry, Finland’s Patron Saint. Liturgical literature dealing with St. Henry is abundant and the music in this collection consists of extracts from masses and offices to St. Henry. Liturgical legend and oral tradition provide a colorful account of the English clergyman’s mission to Finland where he was killed on January 20th, 1156. This day became the day for commemoration of the saint. He has been held to be the principal founder of the Church of Finland since the 1290s, when his relics were translated to the national shrine, the Church of Our Lady in Turku. The music collection Piae Cantiones was first published in 1582 by Jacobus Finno, the headmaster of the Turku Cathedral School. This collection of songs in Latin are not directly religious, but the texts have a strong Christian undercurrent. Apart from the liturgical material, almost the only music from the Middle Ages and the early modern era preserved in the Nordic countries consists of cantios. The cantios were mostly cultivated in schools and vary in construction and subject. A large number of the melodies in this collection can be traced back to the Middle Ages. However, about half the melodies have not been found in any other source. This collection of songs became very popular, and their first edition in Finnish language was published in 1616.

SONATAS FOR PIANO & VIOLIN
Composer(s):   BRAHMS, JOHANNES
Artist(s):   HAKKILA KAAKINEN-PILCH

This album by Finnish duo partners Tuija Hakkila and Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch features Johannes Brahms’ Violin Sonatas played on period instruments.

Bartók: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2
Composer(s):   Bartók, Béla
Artist(s):   Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra; Tetzlaff, Christian; Lintu, Hannu

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7203 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
Starting with a real humdinger on Alpha:

Hell to the yeah!

Just waiting on these two.

Interesting to see new Bartok VCs coming from both Capucon and Tetzlaff.  Given that Tetzlaff's take of the Violin Sonatas is the best I've heard, I'm looking forward more to his rendition.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

kishnevi

« Reply #7204 on: February 19, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

A follow-up CD! I liked the first one, so I'll want this one at least.

ETA: although he's contemporary, so I would quibble with the rubric of "Spanish Classics".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:17:41 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7205 on: February 19, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »

SONATAS FOR PIANO & VIOLIN
Composer(s):   BRAHMS, JOHANNES
Artist(s):   HAKKILA KAAKINEN-PILCH

This album by Finnish duo partners Tuija Hakkila and Sirkka-Liisa Kaakinen-Pilch features Johannes Brahms’ Violin Sonatas played on period instruments.

Bartók: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2
Composer(s):   Bartók, Béla
Artist(s):   Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra; Tetzlaff, Christian; Lintu, Hannu

These are probably going to be good.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7206 on: February 19, 2018, 07:43:08 PM »

A follow-up CD! I liked the first one, so I'll want this one at least.

ETA: although he's contemporary, so I would quibble with the rubric of "Spanish Classics".
Naxos uses Spanish Classics for anything Spanish and American Classics for anything American, contemporary included. I like the optimism, at least!

There are a couple of previous Palomo albums on Naxos - two of them involve the Romero family on guitars, one a concerto for all four Romeros and orchestra and another concerto with Pepe Romero as soloist. I did a first listen today to the four-guitar Concierto de Cienfuegos, and it was nice enough, especially the first movement, where the guitars enter one by one before the orchestra slips in behind them. Finale was a little brash but I'll look forward to returning to it.

kishnevi

« Reply #7207 on: February 19, 2018, 07:46:10 PM »
Naxos uses Spanish Classics for anything Spanish and American Classics for anything American, contemporary included. I like the optimism, at least!

There are a couple of previous Palomo albums on Naxos - two of them involve the Romero family on guitars, one a concerto for all four Romeros and orchestra and another concerto with Pepe Romero as soloist. I did a first listen today to the four-guitar Concierto de Cienfuegos, and it was nice enough, especially the first movement, where the guitars enter one by one before the orchestra slips in behind them. Finale was a little brash but I'll look forward to returning to it.

Indeed? I will look for them....but the solo concerto may have been the one Ritter was not keen on.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #7208 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »

I've always thought of those lines as using the "Classics" label the way people use the term "Classical Music."  Some of the stuff on their "Japanese Classics" line, for example, is far from noteworthy.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #7209 on: February 19, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
Great to see that Lindberg is recording the Pettersson 7th.  I hope the 8th will follow.

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #7210 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:08 PM »

World premiere recordings of these works by an Elvis impersonator!

That new Belcea/Anderszewski recording looks very tasty indeed.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #7211 on: February 19, 2018, 11:44:06 PM »
The Holliger looks mighty interesting!

What's the "main" part (other than the "other works") of that Beethoven thing? The 32 sonatas?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7212 on: February 20, 2018, 02:15:02 AM »
Yep, those are already out on ABC Classics. I think the main draw is supposed to be the Stuart piano. Playing seemed pretty average, like a slightly more somnolent Vladimir Ashkenazy, but I only listened to Op.106
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:20:13 AM by amw »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7213 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »
Yep, those are already out on ABC Classics. I think the main draw is supposed to be the Stuart piano. Playing seemed pretty average, like a slightly more somnolent Vladimir Ashkenazy, but I only listened to Op.106
Wait, are we talking about the Llyr Williams or something else? My understanding is the LW is a live cycle from Wigmore Hall.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #7214 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:09 AM »

We can certainly talk about warhorses in this repertoire too.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7215 on: February 20, 2018, 06:37:28 AM »
My understanding is the LW is a live cycle from Wigmore Hall.

It is.  The ABC Classics set is by Gerard Willems.  Having sampled the Williams and listened to the Willems, I can state they are, in fact, different.  It appears to be a spelling thing.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7216 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
Wait, are we talking about the Llyr Williams or something else? My understanding is the LW is a live cycle from Wigmore Hall.
Oops. Yes I confused him with a pianist with a very similar name. Sorry.

Description is for the Llyr, not the Gerard, which I have never heard but apparently know about from somewhere?

kishnevi

« Reply #7217 on: February 20, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
I've always thought of those lines as using the "Classics" label the way people use the term "Classical Music."  Some of the stuff on their "Japanese Classics" line, for example, is far from noteworthy.

FWIW, they don't use any rubric at all for the Torroba guitar concerto series (that is the two CDs so far issued).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7218 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »
Announced for April 2018:

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #7219 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
FWIW, they don't use any rubric at all for the Torroba guitar concerto series (that is the two CDs so far issued).

Interesting.  I wonder what rationale is behind the marketing.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.