Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1066502 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: New Releases
« Reply #7360 on: March 16, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
This is fairly new:

Classical CD Of The Week: An Imaginary Orchestral Journey With Haydn And The LSO

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/03/14/classical-cd-of-the-week-an-imaginary-orchestral-journey-with-haydn-and-the-lso/#1079b6b277d6

Nice review, Jens. Thanks for posting.
I’ve been eyeing this, even sampled some tracks and highly enjoyed it. I believe I even posted about it in the Haydn Haus here and it went unnoticed. Will more than likely move it to my cart now!
And I do find Rattle’s creation to be more of a compliment to the master rather than an insult.

Online mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #7361 on: March 16, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »
I’ve been eyeing this, even sampled some tracks and highly enjoyed it. I believe I even posted about it in the Haydn Haus here and it went unnoticed. Will more than likely move it to my cart now!
And I do find Rattle’s creation to be more of a compliment to the master rather than an insult.
I saw it and it looks like an interesting release to me too. Just not in a buying mode...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #7362 on: March 16, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Heads-up, Pärt fans!

In April:

“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7363 on: March 16, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
Sampled it.  Nice music.  A whole CD may feel monotonous.

I'm not sure it was such a good idea to have quite so many people singing together.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spineur

« Reply #7364 on: March 17, 2018, 12:19:36 AM »
April release.  This is an interesting british label.  Their Pavel Haas-Fata Morgana was excellent

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #7365 on: March 17, 2018, 03:04:38 AM »
I'm not sure it was such a good idea to have quite so many people singing together.

Completely agreed. And this is even more true of earlier music. I suppose you have heard Roger Blanchard's recording of the Machaut messe or Clytus Gottwald's recording of Ockeghems Missa Prolationum, both rather telling examples of overcrowded choirs.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #7366 on: March 17, 2018, 03:36:45 AM »
Completely agreed. And this is even more true of earlier music.
Indeed. The time for massed choirs in music earlier than Handels oratorios should be past, except in cases where the music was expressly written for lagre forces to make a point (Biber and the Maria Vespers comes to mind).

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7367 on: March 17, 2018, 06:16:08 AM »

Also, no image, but there's an upcoming CD/DVD combo of Années de Pèlerinage & Deux Lègendes by Francesco Piemontesi, a pianist who definitely should record the whole set.  It's unnclear if it's just one year, or what. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #7368 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »

Thanks for reading. Yes, a fun little compliment is what I took it as, too... rather than a dumbing-down. Nothing for the ages, probably, but delightful in a fun light little way.

• Veteran member
« Reply #7369 on: March 17, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »

Horrible covers, I think - almost to the point of marring this thread.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7370 on: March 17, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »

Also, no image, but there's an upcoming CD/DVD combo of Années de Pèlerinage & Deux Lègendes by Francesco Piemontesi, a pianist who definitely should record the whole set.  It's unnclear if it's just one year, or what.
I think I posted that cover one a few of my giant posts ago. If not, it is definitely in the Naxos database for April so I can look tomorrow and find the track list and details.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7371 on: March 17, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »
I seem to vaguely remember that's that's exactly what Nilsson would would like when she sang Elektra.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:14:03 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7372 on: March 17, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

Good lord.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #7373 on: March 17, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
I think I posted that cover one a few of my giant posts ago. If not, it is definitely in the Naxos database for April so I can look tomorrow and find the track list and details.

Sure did:

That answers that.  Hopefully he goes the Mejoueva route and releases each year individually.  I think I will have to buy this one.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #7374 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

"“American Romantics III” is the third volume in a project initiated by conductor Reuben Blundell after he discovered several scores of previously unrecorded works by 19th century American composers through the Fleischer Collection. The composers represented were either native born or recently immigrated. Blundell leads the Philadelphia area Lansdowne Symphony Orchestra on this recording of premieres, some of which draw on Americana melodies while others reflect the prevailing Central European compositional style of the day. The Lansdowne Symphony Orchestra was founded in 1946 to provide music for the First Presbyterian Church of Lansdowne. By 1951 the orchestra had become Lansdowne’s community orchestra. One of the most distinguished community orchestras in the world, the LSO performs a regular season of five concerts at the Upper Darby Performing Arts Center, and other various projects. Led by its sixth music director, Reuben Blundell, the orchestra continues its traditions of musical excellence, service to the community, and promotion of area talent."

The Lansdowne Symphony is from suburban Pennsylvania.

Nice!! The first two volumes of this series somehow slipped under my radar...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #7375 on: March 17, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »

I don't find any of them problematic, and in fact I think the Chopin one is particularly nice.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #7376 on: March 17, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
Naxos will have new recordings of David Diamond

Oooooh!! It's about time! Any idea which pieces?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Veteran member
« Reply #7377 on: March 18, 2018, 07:15:34 AM »
I don't find any of them problematic, and in fact I think the Chopin one is particularly nice.

De gustibus non disputandum (disgust can't be disputed) :)
Tiden læger alle sår,

Online Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #7378 on: March 18, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »

I kind of like the Sophie Pacini one myself (even if I don't understand what it "means") ... but, as premont admitted, it's all subjective.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #7379 on: March 18, 2018, 09:17:59 PM »