Author Topic: New Releases  (Read 1239881 times)

Holden and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: New Releases
« Reply #7540 on: May 08, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
A June release. I’m quite sure I’ll go for that one...

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #7541 on: May 09, 2018, 04:49:21 AM »
A June release. I’m quite sure I’ll go for that one...

Ugh, I was at the concert. I hope the CD is better, but the live performance was a really a boring clunker.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7542 on: May 09, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Well, how could it be good if the concert was a clunker ?  :P

I recall buying that symphony at the Concertgebouw - I was there for another concert. It was from a recent concert with Haitink in the mid-2000s. I had high expectations, but was sorely disappointed. :'(

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7543 on: May 09, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
Happy to be wrong about this, but in my experience, great concerts can make for poor CDs but poor concerts don't make for great CDs...

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #7544 on: May 09, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
I was in the hall when they recorded this:

Left greatly disappointed, but the CD gets very good reviews. Maybe they used audio from rehearsals to fix it, maybe they could compensate for the awful acoustics of Avery Fischer Hall.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:05:34 PM by Baron Scarpia »

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #7545 on: May 09, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »
Happy to be wrong about this, but in my experience, great concerts can make for poor CDs but poor concerts don't make for great CDs...

Generally, that's true. But I was at one concert... and there were two plus a dress rehearsal. So I COULD be off. But then, the problem of this performance, I agree, wasn't one that was likely to fade away on the cutting table of a good engineer. It was structural.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7546 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »

Aimard Messiaen Catalogue
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #7547 on: May 10, 2018, 01:54:40 AM »
I find it a touch heavy-handed, earthbound.
At least, the bits I have bought and listened to - Nos. 2,3,4,6 and 13
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:58:12 AM by aukhawk »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7548 on: May 10, 2018, 03:44:05 AM »

Yes that was my impression of 1, I haven't heard more, but I'm not totally in sympathy with the music, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7549 on: May 10, 2018, 04:04:05 AM »
Generally, that's true. But I was at one concert... and there were two plus a dress rehearsal. So I COULD be off. But then, the problem of this performance, I agree, wasn't one that was likely to fade away on the cutting table of a good engineer. It was structural.

By ‘structural’ you mean a tendency toward plodding tempi, amorphous sound mass, congealed orchestral balances and the like ?. That’s what that B8 under Haitink sounded like - such a far, far cry from his volatile, dynamic, luminous 1969 version... ???

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #7550 on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:02 AM »
By ‘structural’ you mean a tendency toward plodding tempi, amorphous sound mass, congealed orchestral balances and the like ?. That’s what that B8 under Haitink sounded like - such a far, far cry from his volatile, dynamic, luminous 1969 version... ???

Something like that... a micromanaged lack of flow, especially, to the extent I can put it into words.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #7551 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
[Messaien, Oiseaux, Aimard]
Yes that was my impression of 1, I haven't heard more, but I'm not totally in sympathy with the music, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much.

I find the numbered ones I quoted the 'lightest' and most approachable of these pieces, and not without the occasional humorous moment that you can get when listening to real live birdsong.  But not by any means easy going, and best taken in small doses.  My comparison was with Peter Hill (good but slightly dry piano recording) and Hakon Austbo.  I don't think I've heard an ideal version yet, but Hill comes closest of these three.

Incidentally I've spent many happy times at La Grave, in the French Alps, a place that Messaien acknowledged as one of his sources of inspiration, and which now hosts an annual Messaien music festival.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:09:18 AM by aukhawk »

Offline relm1

« Reply #7552 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:57 PM »
I was in the hall when they recorded this:

Left greatly disappointed, but the CD gets very good reviews. Maybe they used audio from rehearsals to fix it, maybe they could compensate for the awful acoustics of Avery Fischer Hall.

This is my favorite recording of this CD.  I wish No. 2 with the same forces at the same venue had the same audio quality but it doesn't match it.  No. 9 is perfect also but that is with the Royal Concertgebouw so doesn't really compare since different forces/venue.  Sort of apples and oranges.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7553 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »

Peter Hill Goldberg Variations

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #7554 on: May 14, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
[cross-posting with the Debussy composer thread]

Warner is releasing a new Debussy compilation (May 18 in Germany & June 8 in the US): "Debussy: His First Performers".
It looks quite interesting. A fair number of Debussy compilations have been released in celebration of the centennial. Rejoice!

It has more of an historical approach. E.g it includes Désormière's rendition of 'Pelléas et Mélisande'.

More details and sound samples (Presto):
Presto: https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8436480--debussy-his-first-performers
JPC: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/his-first-box-set/hnum/8200761

"All the artists who appear in this 10CD set, Debussy: His First Performers, were in some way pioneers in the performance of his music in the first half of the 20th century. All the recordings in this collection provide an authoritative and illuminating point of reference in our appreciation of Debussy.

The roster of performers is led by musicians who knew the composer personally, some of whom gave world premieres of his works. They also made some of the earliest recordings that feature on this set. Covering a period that extends from 1904 to 1963, Debussy: His First Performers also embraces landmark interpretations by artists, born during Debussy's lifetime, who have come to define our understanding of the composer's genius.

Among the most significant names in this collection - which covers piano, chamber and orchestral music, song and opera - are: pianists Ricardo Viñes, Alfred Cortot, Marcelle Meyer, Marguerite Long, Walter Gieseking - and Debussy himself (recordings made on piano rolls); violinist Jacques Thibaud; singers Mary Garden, Jane Bathori, Ninon Vallin, Claire Croiza (accompanied by Francis Poulenc at the piano), Maggie Teyte and Charles Panzéra; conductors Désiré-Émile Inghelbrecht, Arturo Toscanini, Pierre Monteux, Ernest Ansermet, Roger Désormière and Charles Munch."
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7555 on: May 15, 2018, 02:38:30 AM »

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #7556 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:14 PM »

Oy. I'm approaching that with the greatest of trepidation. Gergiev is really not a Brucknerian yet. Brucknerians of Munich make a wide berth around his concerts of Anton. Myself, I think that in five years, he'll have the style down pat; he's always shown a propensity for quick learning. (I.e. in Mahler & Wagner.)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7557 on: May 15, 2018, 05:10:52 PM »
I’ve never really liked his Mahler nor his Prokofiev. I find them fabricated, assembled, Ikea-style, so to speak. Maybe te Münchners will teach him the style  :D.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #7558 on: May 15, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
I’ve never really liked his Mahler nor his Prokofiev. I find them fabricated, assembled, Ikea-style, so to speak. Maybe te Münchners will teach him the style  :D.

I disagree to a degree. I find his Alexander Nevsky and Scythian Suite with the Kirov Orchestra to be absolutely thrilling.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7559 on: May 15, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
I was referring to the symphonies with the LSO  ;)