Author Topic: The Diamond Mine  (Read 20266 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: The Diamond Mine
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Just been listening to the new Naxos disk and it's a 5 star recording. The feel of the ensble for Rounds and R & J is intimate, just perfect for the music.
So great to hear a modern recording of 6, the continuity of the early phase Diamond is still there even if the aural soothing isn't! (Seriously don't be put off, it's quite crunchy but miles away from avant garde).
Seriously good performances.

Ok I'll have another go with Symphony 6. I thought that Rounds was great and always loved Romeo and Juliet but did not respond very positively to Symphony 6 which to me sounded so different from symphonies 1 - 4 and not very memorable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:18 AM »
Just been listening to the new Naxos disk and it's a 5 star recording. The feel of the ensble for Rounds and R & J is intimate, just perfect for the music.
So great to hear a modern recording of 6, the continuity of the early phase Diamond is still there even if the aural soothing isn't! (Seriously don't be put off, it's quite crunchy but miles away from avant garde).
Seriously good performances.

You say avant-garde like it’s a bad thing  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2018, 06:16:07 AM »
I've just realised what a fine work 'The Enormous Room' (1948) is. A kind of fifteen minute symphonic-Fantasia based on a work by e e Cummings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
The Enormous Room (1948) remains one of my favourite scores by Diamond. I find it powerful, brooding and moving.
A classic American Tone Poem which should be much better known.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:48:26 PM by vandermolen »