Author Topic: Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)  (Read 72528 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)
« Reply #580 on: March 19, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »
And Sibelius and Hindemith and Bartok... and he loved Haydn...

Correct. And folk music: Meta May Graf, his wife, helped him discover Romanian (she was a German speaking Romanian) and other Central-European (Hungarian a.o.) folk music in his student years and the influence of folk music is one of the vital elements throughout his long career I'd say.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
I found this in Youtube (it's in Danish, I guess). I don't know if someone had posted it before.

It seems an interview with this great composer and his wife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618aW0q3no4&t=418s

Yes, it's in Danish. If there was a transcript I'd be fine, but with spoken Danish I'm still struggling.

Still, I might try watching it. I knew it existed but I've only viewed tiny snippets. My Danish might be good enough now to get something out of it.

I also have a saved copy of a radio interview with their son, recorded about 3 years ago. In the hope that one day I'll know more of what he said!

EDIT: Of course, there are also a few native Danish speakers on the forum.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:56:03 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #582 on: March 20, 2017, 01:41:53 AM »
I can tell you they spend a LOT of time talking about folk music, including the trip to Romania they took when they married. Also how they met while both looking at a Rembrandt picture...

They brought back a lot of stuff from Romania and had an exhibition of it.

Then he starts talking about Danish street cries (I know this partly because I know he wrote a book about them!) (oh okay, eventually they SHOW the book, hehe).

Meta talks about the photographs she takes in winter as the lake freezes. Then they talk about the massive number of trees they planted on their property.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:31:20 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #583 on: March 21, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
I can tell you they spend a LOT of time talking about folk music, including the trip to Romania they took when they married. Also how they met while both looking at a Rembrandt picture...

They brought back a lot of stuff from Romania and had an exhibition of it.

Then he starts talking about Danish street cries (I know this partly because I know he wrote a book about them!) (oh okay, eventually they SHOW the book, hehe).

Meta talks about the photographs she takes in winter as the lake freezes. Then they talk about the massive number of trees they planted on their property.

Very interesting information about them, so it's a more human interview and not so academic. Thanks for the info!

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK