Author Topic: Non-Planets Holst  (Read 32595 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Non-Planets Holst
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
The band suites are beloved classics in that lit;  great fun to play, and thoroughly gratifying music.

Yes, I recall that you liked these Karl.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »
Yes, I recall that you liked these Karl.

I might have been in the eighth grade when I first played these . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #242 on: November 18, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »
For those who can access BBC I-player, a documentary that could be of interest about RvW and Holst :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshhss/holst-and-vaughan-williams-making-music-english
Olivier

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
For those who can access BBC I-player, a documentary that could be of interest about RvW and Holst :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshhss/holst-and-vaughan-williams-making-music-english

Thanks - I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

It was excellent - please see the VW thread, where I wrote a bit about it, if you are interested.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:46:39 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »
Thanks - I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

It was excellent (please see VW thread where I wrote a bit about it if you are interested).

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Last night, I finally listened to a work which I've been meaning to listen to for a while - Holst's (First) Choral Symphony. What a magnificent work! By turns mysterious, mercurial, and glowingly lyrical, it's a superbly written work for voices and orchestra alike. There are several passages which echo The Planets and, more importantly, much music of great individuality and impact. This new Chandos recording is exemplary in all regards:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2019, 12:14:18 AM »
Last night, I finally listened to a work which I've been meaning to listen to for a while - Holst's (First) Choral Symphony. What a magnificent work! By turns mysterious, mercurial, and glowingly lyrical, it's a superbly written work for voices and orchestra alike. There are several passages which echo The Planets and, more importantly, much music of great individuality and impact. This new Chandos recording is exemplary in all regards:

It's probably my favourite work by Holst, much as I like The Planets, Egdon Heath etc. Glad you enjoyed it Kyle. You might also like The Cloud Messenger if you don't already know it. I don't think that it's as consistently good as The First Choral Symphony but it has some wonderful moments, including an extraordinary proto-minimalist passage.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »
It's probably my favourite work by Holst, much as I like The Planets, Egdon Heath etc. Glad you enjoyed it Kyle. You might also like The Cloud Messenger if you don't already know it. I don't think that it's as consistently good as The First Choral Symphony but it has some wonderful moments, including an extraordinary proto-minimalist passage.

I listened to The Cloud Messenger (which, astonishingly, only seems to have one recording - Hickox on Chandos) last night and was once again blown away! What rapturous music! There’s one section in particular that’s quite mesmerizing where women’s voices sings a wordless, melismatic “ah” to a haunting, “oriental” melodic line. Indeed, there is so much more to Holst than The Planets!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
I listened to The Cloud Messenger (which, astonishingly, only seems to have one recording - Hickox on Chandos) last night and was once again blown away! What rapturous music! There’s one section in particular that’s quite mesmerizing where women’s voices sings a wordless, melismatic “ah” to a haunting, “oriental” melodic line. Indeed, there is so much more to Holst than The Planets!

Delighted that you liked it Kyle! You're quite right - that is the one and only recording.