Author Topic: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)  (Read 232983 times)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
« Reply #1720 on: February 02, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
Oh, so you were on my side on this issue, based on the way you see the facts... except you didn't actually speak up. And when I mildly criticized you for calling me "pigheaded", you decided to let facts not affect your disaffection and become "neutral"... but speak up, at least. Gotcha! No, that makes perfect sense.

First of all, look at the time zones and you'll understand why I didn't get involved in the conversation earlier.

Secondly, and more importantly, what do you expect when you decide to mention my name? There was precisely no reason to bring me into this, but you decided it was a good time to mention me negatively... and now you want to complain about me getting involved? You're the one who involved me.

On the one hand, yes I thought the facts were on your side. On the other, you chose to be a jerk by invoking my name for no reason other than you can't understand why as many as 2 people might have an argument with you on a single day. Never mind that in my case, it was you who chose to pick the argument.

I encourage you to continue posting reviews. I would prefer it if you didn't mention my name in conversations that don't, on the facts, have anything to do with me. Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 12:15:56 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #1721 on: February 02, 2018, 01:15:41 AM »
First of all, look at the time zones and you'll understand why I didn't get involved in the conversation earlier.

Secondly, and more importantly, what do you expect when you decide to mention my name? There was precisely no reason to bring me into this, but you decided it was a good time to mention me negatively... and now you want to complain about me getting involved? You're the one who involved me.

On the one hand, yes I thought the facts were on your side. On the other, you chose to be a jerk by invoking my name for no reason other than you can't understand why as many as 2 people might have an argument with you on a single day. Never mind that in my case, it was you who chose to pick the argument.

I encourage you to continue posting reviews. I would prefer it if you didn't mention my name in conversations that don't, on the facts, have anything to do with me. Cheers.
Ahem, one of them apologized...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1722 on: February 02, 2018, 02:33:45 AM »
Ahem, one of them apologized...

Which is irrelevant to the point I'm making. Especially as I was not the one who started the argument that SuprisedByBeauty decided he wanted to reference here.

And that's the last I'm saying about it. Not least because I had believed it was over and done with until I saw my name on this thread. If you're expecting me to apologise, not a chance. What am I supposed to apologise for, my listening habits? That's what he decided to pick on. He had a go, twice, at me based on which Sibelius pieces I listened to.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:39:29 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #1723 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
Which is irrelevant to the point I'm making. Especially as I was not the one who started the argument that SuprisedByBeauty decided he wanted to reference here.

And that's the last I'm saying about it. Not least because I had believed it was over and done with until I saw my name on this thread. If you're expecting me to apologise, not a chance. What am I supposed to apologise for, my listening habits? That's what he decided to pick on.
You should most definitely apologize for your personal attack on him. it's really that simple.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1724 on: February 02, 2018, 02:50:11 AM »
Sorry, but such personal stuff should not be discussed in this thread. Please take it to PM or some thread in the Diner.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #1725 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:05 AM »
Sorry, but such personal stuff should not be discussed in this thread. Please take it to PM or some thread in the Diner.

No! Wait! This is the best entertainment all day! I have popcorn and everything!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1726 on: February 02, 2018, 03:47:32 AM »
Thanks to our Scarps for providing the final straw, as it were . . . I have at last reeled in the Pollini set of the pf sonatas.  It is a little misleading if I say I have been loving it.  I mean, it's musically true, but I have also been stuck (and entirely agreeably) listening mostly to the Hammerklavier.

I do propose to get out and about within that box more, though, and soon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1727 on: February 02, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
Glad it's been a positive experience. I wouldn't feel bad about getting stuck on the Hammerklavier. I think overall 90% of my listening to Pollini's Beethoven Piano Sonata recordings have been the Late Sonatas, where his unique skills really find their true field of action.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK