Author Topic: Wiren's wilderness (Dag Wiren 1905-1986)  (Read 4714 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

Re: Wiren's wilderness (Dag Wiren 1905-1986)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »
In my exploration of new music, I stumbled upon this Swedish. I listened to his symphonies on Youtube (2, 4 and 5) and the third one on Spotify. I can say I liked all that stuff. Reminiscences of Sibelius were more than clear on the symphonies 2 and 3. Some time ago I had already played the Serenade for strings, which is a real gem, what sparkling it is!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:18:59 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
Wiren composed some great music indeed. I need to revisit those CPO recordings of the misc. symphonies (w/ Thomas Dausgaard). I also believe I have some of his music on the Swedish label, Caprice.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »
BIS CEO Robert von Bahr's honesty strikes again...

Here's his eClassical daily deal writeup of Dag Wiren's piano trios.

"I wish I could say something more positive about this CD than that the artists are excellent and really do what they can, but I find the music boring. I am sorry that I do, but I habe [sic] been honest in my comments and I intend to continue being that. However, I can also be wrong, and several persons I know find Wirén's music charming and beautiful."

I hope RvB only meant these trios are boring.  I love Wiren's symphonies and that magical Serenade.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 01:36:04 AM »
In my exploration of new music, I stumbled upon this Swedish. I listened to his symphonies on Youtube (2, 4 and 5) and the third one on Spotify. I can say I liked all that stuff. Reminiscences of Sibelius were more than clear on the symphonies 2 and 3. Some time ago I had already played the Serenade for strings, which is a real gem, what a sparkling it is!
I very much agree with you Caesar (as I usually do! :))
I especially like symphonies 3,4 and 5. I even have two recordings of Symphony 4, the monothematic opening of which is very brooding and powerful. I think that Wiren's wife said it reminded her of an oncoming storm if I remember correctly. Robert Layton was quite dismissive of Wiren's symphonic work, describing it as 'short-breathed' but I don't agree with him as I also disagree with his comments on the music of Allan Pettersson ('rampant self-pity......')
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
I very much agree with you Caesar (as I usually do! :))
I especially like symphonies 3,4 and 5. I even have two recordings of Symphony 4, the monothematic opening of which is very brooding and powerful. I think that Wiren's wife said it reminded her of an oncoming storm if I remember correctly. Robert Layton was quite dismissive of Wiren's symphonic work, describing it as 'short-breathed' but I don't agree with him as I also disagree with his comments on the music of Allan Pettersson ('rampant self-pity......')

I don't agree with that opinion either, I think it's the opposite. Wiren on the mentioned works is warm, he displays a bunch of energy, although the symphonies 4 and 5 are a little more advanced, but there is no lack of creativity/inspiration.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 03:28:00 AM »
I don't agree with that opinion either, I think it's the opposite. Wiren on the mentioned works is warm, he displays a bunch of energy, although the symphonies 4 and 5 are a little more advanced, but there is no lack of creativity/inspiration.
Just listening to Symphony 4 CPO recording - terrific brooding opening. I really like this symphony and totally agree with Caesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »
I don't know his symphonies yet (I intend to rectify that situation soon), but Wiren's Violin Concerto is a very fine work - overall lyrical and optimistic but with some disturbing, violent passages along the way:
https://youtu.be/ZmC79GgHf4E

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »
I don't know his symphonies yet (I intend to rectify that situation soon), but Wiren's Violin Concerto is a very fine work - overall lyrical and optimistic but with some disturbing, violent passages along the way:
https://youtu.be/ZmC79GgHf4E
Try Symphony 4 Kyle - am sure you'd enjoy it.

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »
Just listened to Wiren's Symphony no. 4 - great stuff! (No surprise that I enjoyed it since you recommended it, Jeffrey! ;D) Throughout the piece there are juxtapositions between quiet, eerie passages and louder, rhythmic, almost jazzy sections. The opening of the finale sounds uncannily like the opening of the "nuclear wasteland" finale of Vaughan Williams' Symphony no. 6 - I wonder if Wiren knew that work?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
Just listened to Wiren's Symphony no. 4 - great stuff! (No surprise that I enjoyed it since you recommended it, Jeffrey! ;D) Throughout the piece there are juxtapositions between quiet, eerie passages and louder, rhythmic, almost jazzy sections. The opening of the finale sounds uncannily like the opening of the "nuclear wasteland" finale of Vaughan Williams' Symphony no. 6 - I wonder if Wiren knew that work?
Delighted that you enjoyed it Kyle  :)
I hadn't thought of the VW No.6 connection - very interesting.
Coincidentally I've listened to Wiren's 4th Symphony several times over the last couple of days.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK