Author Topic: Past Purchases (CLOSED)  (Read 1885459 times)

eyeresist

Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #26520 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
Hoping Von Karajan will finally help me to appreciate Sibelius 4th ....

I think, for the 4th, you'd be better off with one of his EMI recordings.

Offline Scots John

• Veteran member
  • My features after Sept 19th 2014
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    Digital Media
« Reply #26521 on: February 26, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
As a result of my antics in a recent blind listening thread:

Dear James MacMillan
I have heard Isobel Gowdies confession, and I thought I would let you know it is very heartfelt, and she is very sorry she was baptized by the Devil in the Scottish Highlands.
Just sayin'...
Scots John

Offline KeithW

Wide interest from pre-Baroque to Romantic and beyond
« Reply #26522 on: February 26, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »
Joseph Jongen is a good composer, and his chamber music seems particularly fine. So I ordered these:

These are great - good recordings and fine music.

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #26523 on: February 26, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
Landed today

So far I had enjoyed every disc performed by Melnikov (Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Beethoven's violin sonatas along with Faust), but recently I was a bit disappointed by this:

IMO, he doesn't respect the nature of the 1875 Bösendorfer piano and plays it as if it were a modern grand. That results in a frequently percussive and a bit brutal interpretation.  :(   

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • Befuddled Fiddler
« Reply #26524 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
So far I had enjoyed every disc performed by Melnikov (Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Beethoven's violin sonatas along with Faust), but recently I was a bit disappointed by this:

IMO, he doesn't respect the nature of the 1875 Bösendorfer piano and plays it as if it were a modern grand. That results in a frequently percussive and a bit brutal interpretation.  :(

:(

That recording was part of this weekend's order from Arkiv, to complete the roundup.
OTOH, I don't have any other recording of the Brahms sonatas, so bangin, brutality and all, the music will be new to me.  I'll keep your opinion in mind.  Whom would you suggest as a better performance?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind.
---Rossini

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #26525 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
:(

That recording was part of this weekend's order from Arkiv, to complete the roundup.
OTOH, I don't have any other recording of the Brahms sonatas, so bangin, brutality and all, the music will be new to me.  I'll keep your opinion in mind.  Whom would you suggest as a better performance?
I'm sorry, but I don't have a strong preference here. Even I think that Ugorski (DG, quite recommendable, indeed) is the only complete performance of the three piano sonatas that I have. I also have one or two sonatas by Perahia, Arrau, Grimaud, Rubinstein and so, but I am still searching for a performance totally to my taste. IMO the principal problem here is to get a certain sense of unity in these works too much full of different ideas.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #26526 on: February 26, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

That's a pity! :-\ I kinda liked it. Although yes, the fierce passages comes off more intense/edgy on thes instrument. Honestly, I think that is what Brahms might have expected/wanted.

Fanfare review HERE.

Q
Ā chacun son goût.

Conor71

« Reply #26527 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »
Recieved this eagerly awaited set today :):

DavidW

« Reply #26528 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:28 AM »
Cool Conor it's a great set! :)

Antoine Marchand

« Reply #26529 on: February 27, 2012, 05:42:58 AM »
That's a pity! :-\ I kinda liked it. Although yes, the fierce passages comes off more intense/edgy on thes instrument. Honestly, I think that is what Brahms might have expected/wanted.

Fanfare review HERE.

Q

Who knows maybe in the future I will give another chance to this disc, but this bad personal relation with percussive keyboard interpretations is not new. I immediately recalled the treatment given by Hantaī to some Scarlatti's fast sonatas, which many people enjoy/admire and I -frankly- find highly unpleasant.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:54:33 AM by Antoine Marchand »

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
  • Richard Wagner- The God of Opera!
« Reply #26530 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
Recieved this eagerly awaited set today :):

One day you'll have to convince me to buy that,..............or any other Haydn string quartet recording for that matter  ::).

marvin

Hint: you'll need to get Karl, Sarge, JLaurson, Andy (HEAVEN BLESS YOU ALL) and every Haydnian (is that even a word??) on the GMG forum to tie me down, then force my index finger to press the "BUY" button on all those Haydn string quartet recordings in my amazon.co.uk shopping basket!!!  $:) $:) $:)

I really do hope you enjoy those recordings and please post your reviews!

Conor71

« Reply #26531 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »

Quote from: marvinbrown on Today at 02:53:04 AM
  One day you'll have to convince me to buy that,..............or any other Haydn string quartet recording for that matter  ::) .

marvin

Hint: you'll need to get Karl, Sarge, JLaurson, Andy (HEAVEN BLESS YOU ALL) and every Haydnian (is that even a word??) on the GMG forum to tie me down, then force my index finger to press the "BUY" button on all those Haydn string quartet recordings in my amazon.co.uk shopping basket!!!  $:) $:) $:)

I really do hope you enjoy those recordings and please post your reviews!

Thanks Marvin  :D  - you would'nt regret getting some Haydn String Quartets for your collection, they are all wonderful works!. This set is my second complete Cycle of the Quartets (I also own the Aeolian Set) and I return to them often and have gotten a lot of pleasure from them - enjoy! :)

Offline nico1616

« Reply #26532 on: February 27, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
I think, for the 4th, you'd be better off with one of his EMI recordings.

Thanks!
I saw this one for 7 euros last friday, but didn't buy it  :(
I will listen to the DG first, and if I don't like it, I know which one will be next :)
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

eyeresist

« Reply #26533 on: February 27, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
Thanks!
I saw this one for 7 euros last friday, but didn't buy it  :(
I will listen to the DG first, and if I don't like it, I know which one will be next :)
Ok!  K's late EMI Sibelius has great sound. I'm not actually a fan of his 2 and 5, but 1, 4 and 6 are uniquely rich and powerful.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #26534 on: February 27, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
Ordered today:

Offline Sadko

• Veteran member
    Piano music, Russian music, Mahler, Bruckner
« Reply #26535 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
Ordered today:

I'm curious about this one, please tell us what "Wild Currentzis" does with it :)

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #26536 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
Ordered today:

New recording?  I thought the DG recording of Brahms' Requiem by Gardiner has a very different CD cover ...

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
« Reply #26537 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
New recording?  I thought the DG recording of Brahms' Requiem by Gardiner has a very different CD cover ...

It's SDG's latest recording to be released.
Regards,
Navneeth

Conor71

« Reply #26538 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
This arrived today - looking forward to exploring it very much! :)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #26539 on: February 27, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
This arrived today - looking forward to exploring it very much! :)

Mark my words: you'll love it! 8)

Q
Ā chacun son goût.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK