Author Topic: Roy Harris (1898-1979)  (Read 40723 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Roy Harris (1898-1979)
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2018, 04:53:37 AM »
My recording of the Ormandy is certainly in mono. I usually put on the Kuchar as well,because I like to hear it in stereo,as well. His recording sounds pretty good to my ears. I just played the old Louisville recording of the Fifth and I did enjoy it. The slow movement,particularly. As when I was a youngster,getting the old RCA Lp out of the library,it seemed to conjure up the incidental music from old western movies; images of vast prairies,wagon's trundling and camp fires with comboys sitting around them!! I was thinking,eating baked beans,maybe?!! :o ;D I like some of the scoring in the final movement. I thought I detected a piano there (always a favourite!). I looked up the orchestration and sure enough!! And the whole symphony,not too long! :)
I've got Shostakovich's String Qt No 12 on now,to cheer me up!! ??? ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2018, 06:13:46 AM »
My recording of the Ormandy is certainly in mono. I usually put on the Kuchar as well,because I like to hear it in stereo,as well. His recording sounds pretty good to my ears. I just played the old Louisville recording of the Fifth and I did enjoy it. The slow movement,particularly. As when I was a youngster,getting the old RCA Lp out of the library,it seemed to conjure up the incidental music from old western movies; images of vast prairies,wagon's trundling and camp fires with comboys sitting around them!! I was thinking,eating baked beans,maybe?!! :o ;D I like some of the scoring in the final movement. I thought I detected a piano there (always a favourite!). I looked up the orchestration and sure enough!! And the whole symphony,not too long! :)
I've got Shostakovich's String Qt No 12 on now,to cheer me up!! ??? ;D
Yes, I'm sure that a Shostakovich SQ will perk you up for the weekend!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2018, 02:06:28 AM »
I am so glad to hear about this recording! I first heard Harris in the 80's on the radio. It was the Clark recording of the Gettysburg. Living in LA at the time, PSO does get some occasional airing. I loved it. But I did not find any recording of the work after I graduated from school and went from a dirt poor student to a lowly paid worker. Maybe I can get this CD soon.

The 8th and 9th were indeed disappointing. But overall, I am still a Harris fan. I like the violin concerto better after the second listening. Not a great work, but certainly worth one's attention.
I just saw this old post! Yes,I remember hearing the Sixth on the radio and recording an off air cassette using my,less than hi-fi,radio cassette recorder with a telescopic aerial. Reception was always a bit dodgy where I lived. You just had to hope!! ::) ;D  It was quite a few years before I heard it again and bought the cd that came out. It stayed in my head,though;which is usually a good sign. It means it made an impression on me. And in a good way. Up till then,I only knew the Harris third,from the Bernstein Lp,with the statue and a flag,or something,wrapped around it (?) and the Fifth,from the old RCA Lp,which I used to borrow from one of the local libraries. Nowadays,you just surf and click on the purchase button!! I liked them allot,at the time. I actually didn't hear the Seventh until after I got the cd of the Sixth!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
I like No.6 as well, especially in the Keith Clark/Pacific SO recording. I think that Diamond's Symphony 3 is one of the great American symphonies. I also like No.2 by Paul Creston very much. I quite like the Harris No.5 but prefer No.7, especially with Ormandy conducting - it's on a wonderful Albany CD with William Schuman's epic Symphony 6, which I consider a masterpiece.

Agreed with you Jeffrey re. the merits of Creston's 2nd and Schuman's 6th - two great recent discoveries of mine.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
Agreed with you Jeffrey re. the merits of Creston's 2nd and Schuman's 6th - two great recent discoveries of mine.
Delighted that you like these as well Kyle.
  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).