Author Topic: Viva Vivaldi!  (Read 90110 times)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Viva Vivaldi!
« Reply #620 on: February 03, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Indeed!  Misapplication of the goals of one’s day (or indeed, of oneself) as somehow binding on artists of the past, who lived and worked in a different environment.  The irony (and you know I speak as a yuuuge fan of the Russo-Franco-Swiss-American master’s music  8) ) is that, for all his artistic rejection of the late 19th century, that is pretty much whence he derives this particular blindspot.

Oh, no question about that. It is a (also) yuuuge challenge for any person, especially one with a larger than normal ego (which almost everyone but me and you do have) to think outside of ones own time. Value judgments based on current norms are a major barrier to civilized discussion of history. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #621 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
Well has been over a half year since Tony V. was visited - this morning I left the post below the *s in the listening thread responding to a recording shown by Que, i.e. Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas on Brilliant, a 2-disc set of the 9 extant cello works - I'm now listening to my two performances, Bylsma on one CD doing 6 sonatas (Op. 14) & Watkin on 2 CDs doing all 9 works. 

I'd like to add (possibly cull) another 2-CD set of all the Cello Sonatas, but most recordings are single discs of the Op. 14 collection - looking on Amazon USA, I found the 3 shown immediately below and of course the one w/ Jaap Ter Linden; in my researching, I know that several more exist buy not showing up on Amazon.  SO, comments, opinions, recommendations, etc. - thanks, as usual!  Dave :)

*********************************************************************************************************************
1st run:

Q

Hi Que - I'll be interested in further comments from you and others - I have two recordings of these cello sonatas (added above); the Anner Blysma is 1-disc of the six Op. 14 works (as shown below w/ an *); the other is w/ David Watkin, 2 CDs which adds the other 3 cello sonatas, similar to the Brilliant set w/ Jaap Ter Linden - I really like Watkin, which includes another cello, chamber organ or harpsichord, and a variety of string instruments (Baroque guitar, archlute, or theorbo). I'll give my two recordings a listen today - might want to add another?  Dave :)

Sonata   Cello   D minor   RV38   Lost.
Sonata   Cello   E-fmajor   RV39   
Sonata*   Cello   E minor   RV40   
Sonata*   Cello   F major   RV41   
Sonata   Cello   G minor   RV42   
Sonata*   Cello   A minor   RV43   
Sonata   Cello   A minor   RV44   
Sonata*   Cello   B-fmajor   RV45   
Sonata*   Cello   B-fmajor   RV46   
Sonata*   Cello   B-fmajor   RV47   
Sonata   Flute   C major   RV48

* 6 Sonatas of 9 comprising Op. 14   

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #622 on: September 30, 2017, 12:50:32 PM »
Hi, David,

My favorite recording(s) as of now are these, which unfortunately don't comprise a full set between them, although I have several others which make one many time over. These 2 are especially excellent those, Roel Dieltens and Bruno Cocset.

8)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #623 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:14 PM »
Well has been over a half year since Tony V. was visited - this morning I left the post below the *s in the listening thread responding to a recording shown by Que, i.e. Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas on Brilliant, a 2-disc set of the 9 extant cello works - I'm now listening to my two performances, Bylsma on one CD doing 6 sonatas (Op. 14) & Watkin on 2 CDs doing all 9 works.

Hi Dave:) Good idea to explore this further, because I'm where you are... 8)
I picked the set by Jaap Ter Linden and Mortensen as a bargain, so it was not a pre considered choice....

Have listened through the enture set once, but sofar I'm not entirely convinced.....  ::)
I mean it is a good recording, but it came across as a recording by two elderly gentlemen with a lot of Bach mileage, who are on a mission to prove this is serious music.
It sounds somewhat measured, deliberate, laborious. The gentlemen regained my interest in the slower passages of the later sonatas, which are nicely done.
But missing was the Vivaldian sparkle, the playfull virtuosity, the souplesse.

Like you, I did a survey of the field.  Only conclude that there are very few complete sets.
On paper Ophélie Gaillard could be an interesting candidate, but seriously OOP.

Of the contenders for a single disc Plan B, my eye fell exactly on the two options Gurn mentions (this can't be a coincide  ;)) -
Bruno Cocset (Alpha) and Roel Dieltiens (EtCetera), both cellists I know and would fit the bill for these works.

I've decided to keep the Ter Linden/Mortensen set for now and further explore the options for Plan B...

Over to you.  :)

Q
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:09:07 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #624 on: October 01, 2017, 03:03:42 AM »
Hi, David,

My favorite recording(s) as of now are these, which unfortunately don't comprise a full set between them, although I have several others which make one many time over. These 2 are especially excellent those, Roel Dieltens and Bruno Cocset.

8)

I'll add my voice to the chorus cheering Roel Dieltens.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #625 on: October 01, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks ALL for the comments on Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas - I did some listening on Spotify (using a BT soundbar so decent sound) to a number of recordings, including Jaap Ter Linden and like Que not thoroughly convinced despite the price; Ophélie Gaillard & Roel Dieltens were not available doing the sonatas; but the latter was in the Vivaldi Cello Concertos - listened and enjoyed (never was that pleased w/ my Harnoy performances of these works).

So, then looked on BRO, the 2-CD set w/ Susan Sheppard and L'Ecole D'Orphee was there for $7 - enjoy that group; also the Dieltens cello concertos, 2-discs, was available ($14) - so for $20 (added a few more to balance out the shipping), I'll give these 2 sets a try - for those interested, attached are Fanfare reviews of both of these purchases, which influenced my decision.  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #626 on: October 01, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
Thanks ALL for the comments on Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas - I did some listening on Spotify (using a BT soundbar so decent sound) to a number of recordings, including Jaap Ter Linden and like Que not thoroughly convinced despite the price; Ophélie Gaillard & Roel Dieltens were not available doing the sonatas; but the latter was in the Vivaldi Cello Concertos - listened and enjoyed (never was that pleased w/ my Harnoy performances of these works).

So, then looked on BRO, the 2-CD set w/ Susan Sheppard and L'Ecole D'Orphee was there for $7 - enjoy that group; also the Dieltens cello concertos, 2-discs, was available ($14) - so for $20 (added a few more to balance out the shipping), I'll give these 2 sets a try - for those interested, attached are Fanfare reviews of both of these purchases, which influenced my decision.  Dave :)

Well done Dave  ;)
L'Ecole D'Orphée have done some fine things in Handel so I look forward to reading how you get on with their Vivaldi  8)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #627 on: October 01, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »

Not familiar with Susan Sheppard and L'Ecole D'Orphee, are they a PI group? Have they done else? Let me/us know what you think of that disk.

I have these 2 Dieltens concertos disks, and I fully expect they are what is in your double disk box set. You will greatly enjoy those, I do believe. If you want to get into concertos, I have a few others too. :) 

8)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #628 on: October 01, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Well done Dave  ;)
L'Ecole D'Orphée have done some fine things in Handel so I look forward to reading how you get on with their Vivaldi  8)

Not familiar with Susan Sheppard and L'Ecole D'Orphee, are they a PI group? Have they done else? Let me/us know what you think of that disk.

I have these 2 Dieltens concertos disks, and I fully expect they are what is in your double disk box set. You will greatly enjoy those, I do believe. If you want to get into concertos, I have a few others too. :) 

Hi Aligreto & Gurn - the Dieltens 2-CD set should be the same discs that you own.  I became acquainted w/ L'Ecole d'Orphee w/ the purchase of the 'super-bargain' 6-CD box of Handel's Chamber Music - and yes, a period instrument group - Susan Sheppard is a Baroque cellist (almost the original 'mother lode'), who is part of the group (among many other associations - see her BIO) - cannot imagine w/ the review posted and the PI group that I will not enjoy her performances?  Dave :)

P.S. Gurn - if you like Handel's chamber music, that 6-disc box is cheap on Amazon USA - at the moment, do not see the box on BRO - interestingly their Vivaldi cello sonata release was on CRD, but in the BRO listing, Astoria is the label showing - assume same recordings and different licensing?  Well, cheap enough and well see soon - :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #629 on: October 02, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
Hi Aligreto & Gurn - the Dieltens 2-CD set should be the same discs that you own.  I became acquainted w/ L'Ecole d'Orphee w/ the purchase of the 'super-bargain' 6-CD box of Handel's Chamber Music - and yes, a period instrument group - Susan Sheppard is a Baroque cellist (almost the original 'mother lode'), who is part of the group (among many other associations - see her BIO) - cannot imagine w/ the review posted and the PI group that I will not enjoy her performances?  Dave :)

P.S. Gurn - if you like Handel's chamber music, that 6-disc box is cheap on Amazon USA - at the moment, do not see the box on BRO - interestingly their Vivaldi cello sonata release was on CRD, but in the BRO listing, Astoria is the label showing - assume same recordings and different licensing?  Well, cheap enough and well see soon - :)

Cheers Dave; That set in the illustration above is the one that I have. I must get it down soon as I have not listened to it in some time  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Cheers Dave; That set in the illustration above is the one that I have. I must get it down soon as I have not listened to it in some time  :)

Agree - since purchase, I usually pull that box about twice a year - seems like the right moment for me!  :D  Dave

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #631 on: October 12, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »
Vivaldi Cello Sonatas w/ Susan Sheppard a disappointment (first top pic below); however, Dieltiens' Cello Concertos , a delight and a keeper (second top pic) - both recently arrived purchases from BRO - after listening to my other two recordings of the Cello Sonatas (two pics at the bottom), there is really no comparison w/ the Sheppard offering, i.e. recorded at low volume w/ two other performers and played in almost a soporific mood - I did an A-B-C comparison between the three performances of the first sonata - the sound of the Watkin & Bylsma recording just exudes from the speakers w/ much 'up-front' presence - and in the recording w/ Sheppard, I'd have to agree w/ the mediocre review from AllMusic (see attached PDF) - SO, will not keep her recording - much prefer to pull out Watkin for a 'complete' perusal of these works; PLUS, the other advantage to my mind/ears is the use of a 4th player on another string instrument (theorbo, archlute, or Baroque guitar for Watkin and archlute for Bylsma).  Dave :)

P.S. an excellent review on the Watkin Dyad also in the PDF attachment.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
I thought you would like that Dieltens, he really is a fine young (I think) cellist. I have him in a few things, all are first rate. I also have had that Bylsma forever, it seems. Other than entire works being recorded on single tracks, I like the heck out of it, too. Of course, until he dies, Bylsma will be my personification of the greatest living cellist. :)

8)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #633 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
I thought you would like that Dieltens, he really is a fine young (I think) cellist. I have him in a few things, all are first rate. I also have had that Bylsma forever, it seems. Other than entire works being recorded on single tracks, I like the heck out of it, too. Of course, until he dies, Bylsma will be my personification of the greatest living cellist. :)

Hi Gurn - yep, I don't know 'how many' discs I have w/ Anner Bysma, but quite a few! :)  Just looked him up - born on February 17, 1934, so 83 years old this year (soon to be 84!) - does he even play the cello much these days?  Dave

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #634 on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Hi Gurn - yep, I don't know 'how many' discs I have w/ Anner Bysma, but quite a few! :)  Just looked him up - born on February 17, 1934, so 83 years old this year (soon to be 84!) - does he even play the cello much these days?  Dave

AFAIK, he is still playing, although Que might be more in the know about it. I haven't seen anything since, like, his 80th birthday celebration, I think they had a big concert. Some of these younger guys are his students, IIRC Bruno Cocset is one, possibly even Dieltens. In addition to his excellent playing, he is a founding member of historical performance, so a big debt there too. I put him in the same class as Badura-Skoda, Brüggen, Harnoncourt and others in that generation. :)

8)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK