Author Topic: Viva Vivaldi!  (Read 112621 times)

The One

Re: Viva Vivaldi!
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
Guys - still looking for another recorder performance - went onto iTunes and there are 3 options shown below for the Laurin recordings, each at 10 bucks USD - which is the 'newest & best' one according to your ears and/or reviews - thanks.  Dave :)

If you have to choose from those 6, I'd say the latest Laurin (the one on the most right). Horsch is fun, too, and she was 16 or 17 years old when she recorded that.

Piers Adams, Jiri Stivin, Maurice Steger are all fine choices for recorder
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:14:20 PM by The One »

Online HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »
Interesting discussion, with many fine recommendations.  :)

I am very fond of Ensemble Amarillis; their concerto per flauto e per violincello recording is excellent:

Also available as a part of this four disc set:

Gordo recommended this excellent, low-cost set.  It's a winner!  ;)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
I must say that it is great to see such a lively, interesting and educational discussion on Vivaldi  8)

It IS enjoyable, almost out of the ordinary these days. You are certainly most welcome to join in, recommendations are very welcome!
Interesting discussion, with many fine recommendations.  :)

I am very fond of Ensemble Amarillis; their concerto per flauto e per violincello recording is excellent:

Also available as a part of this four disc set:

Gordo recommended this excellent, low-cost set.  It's a winner!  ;)

Well, Gordo is the King, I would have jumped on it too, and in fact, might still do.  :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
Of course, I don't want you guys to think you have ALL the unusual flute/recorder recordings. :D   I have these couple, which are quite interesting and unusual. ;)

8)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #724 on: January 03, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Well, just did an iTunes DL of the 2-CD set below - now on my old iPod Touch (my bedtime music tonight), and will burn to CD-R when my new stack of printable discs arrives from Amazon - Dave :)

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
Well, just did an iTunes DL of the 2-CD set below - now on my old iPod Touch (my bedtime music tonight), and will burn to CD-R when my new stack of printable discs arrives from Amazon - Dave :)

Nice. I haven't heard it, but I have heard good things about her. Let us know. :)

8)

kishnevi

« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
Regarding Michala Petri, this seems to be the most pertinent option

Her RCA recordings were budget boxed, but apparently are now OOP and not budgety at all

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #727 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
Just left the post below in the 'listening thread', so thought I'd also repost here - today received the Trio Sonatas, Op. 1 w/ L'Arte dell'Arco (2-CD set) and enjoyed - some interesting history noted below.  Dave :)

More Vivaldi - one new (Op. 1 on far left) and one owned (far right):

Trio Sonatas, Op. 1 w/ L'Arte dell'Arco (2 violins, 1 cello, harpsichord/chamber organ w/ Roberto Loreggian, & theorbo w/ Ivano Zanenghi) - no duplication in my collection; liner notes state "Wold premiere recording authorized and based on the Critical Edition by Fabrizio Ammetto...Vivaldi Institute in Venice"; BUT, when looking on Amazon there are already a number of Op. 1 recordings including the one in the middle below (which I do not own) w/ L'Arte dell'Arco (several different performers including Hogwood on keyboards) - must be an older performance; the one new to me was recorded in 2012 - these are 'early' works (RV# in 60s/70s) published in 1705 when Vivaldi was about 27 y/o - good review attached, however stating that 'The recording quality is unexceptional' - I disagree - performance and sound are quite good on my den speakers.

Concerti per Flautino e Archi w/ Sebastien Marq on a wide assortment of recorders + Ensemble Matheus/J-C Spinosi; works are RV312R,428,433,439,441,443 - excellent liner notes; review attached - Dave :)

Online HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #728 on: January 24, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »
Viva Vivaldi! fans:

Just received this in the mail from the momox ~

Inexpensive copies abound!  This one came highly recommended by Que; he is right on the mark with this.  ;)

An excellent release.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #729 on: January 24, 2018, 06:01:18 PM »
Viva Vivaldi! fans:

Just received this in the mail from the momox ~

Inexpensive copies abound!  This one came highly recommended by Que; he is right on the mark with this.  ;)

An excellent release.

Damn, I thought I had that entire series on Divox, but somehow missed this one. Better now though... :D

8)

kishnevi

« Reply #730 on: January 24, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
Damn, I thought I had that entire series on Divox, but somehow missed this one. Better now though... :D

8)

If you have this, you already have it!

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #731 on: January 24, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
If you have this, you already have it!

No, I never got that box, but I have the other 2 disks in it already. Well, I will have this one shortly, the price was hard to beat! :)

8)

kishnevi

« Reply #732 on: January 24, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »
No, I never got that box, but I have the other 2 disks in it already. Well, I will have this one shortly, the price was hard to beat! :)

8)

The performances are also hard to beat, but you knew that already!

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #733 on: June 08, 2018, 01:08:57 AM »
Regarding Michala Petri, this seems to be the most pertinent option

Her RCA recordings were budget boxed, but apparently are now OOP and not budgety at all

Recorder fans may rejoice, because there is a new and better option:

I live in Taiwan, and already bought it at a much lower price than the Amazon listing, so expect the price to come down at least $10. It's a lovely box.

However, right now I'm listening to the recorder work from this disk from the box Guido recommended, and it is, indeed, stunning. [I had played the Handel disk first, and, for the first time, doubted Guido's judgment. (Admittedly, I am not a Handel fan) However, after listening to this disk, I know I was completely in the wrong.]  Wonderful on every level!
It's all good...

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #734 on: July 26, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »

I like this a lot. I’m comparing it to Podger today. Podger gets a lot of deserved acclaim but I like the daring quality of Seiler. It’s mercurial, audacious, etc. I’m trying to come up with a way to characterize Podger in comparison.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #735 on: July 26, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »

I like this a lot. I’m comparing it to Podger today. Podger gets a lot of deserved acclaim but I like the daring quality of Seiler. It’s mercurial, audacious, etc. I’m trying to come up with a way to characterize Podger in comparison.

What do you think of the Rebel?  I like Seiler too. I don't think I have any recording of that Rebel, so I am thinking about the music more than the performance (which I am sure I will like, coming from those people!).

8)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #736 on: July 26, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »
What do you think of the Rebel?  I like Seiler too. I don't think I have any recording of that Rebel, so I am thinking about the music more than the performance (which I am sure I will like, coming from those people!).

8)
I left it off my playlist. Thanks for reminding me so I will listen to it. Yeah, these performers are exciting.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #737 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:17 PM »
I left it off my playlist. Thanks for reminding me so I will listen to it. Yeah, these performers are exciting.

I have this Rebel, which I quite like:

He sounds more Italian than French, but I don't know enough about his background to say why. Maybe he trained in Italy?  Anyway, I hope you tell me you like The Elements, I can see me jumping on that. Plus, I NEED another 4 Seasons!  ::)   

8)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #738 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »
I have this Rebel, which I quite like:

He sounds more Italian than French, but I don't know enough about his background to say why. Maybe he trained in Italy?  Anyway, I hope you tell me you like The Elements, I can see me jumping on that. Plus, I NEED another 4 Seasons!  ::)   

8)

Mandatory!  8)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!