Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 205961 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1220 on: November 15, 2018, 11:52:07 PM »
I have been enormously satisfied with the music of Matteo da Perugia (Perusio) directed by Paul van Nevel , but would like to listen to Medieval Ensemble of London's version, as well.
I see it has been included in a monster 50 CD box Oiseau Lyre named "Medieval & Renaissance" .
This thing could be interesting but Decca Italia tells me that the box is out of stock. No more available !!!   
On Amazon it is offered (used) a crazy prices.
Could you recommend another possible edition of music by this author ?

[ Medieval Ensemble of London ..... I simply fell in love with their edition of the Complete Secular Music by Dufay !!  Fantastic  IMO  !!!!!  ]

I can upload the Medieval Ensemble of London CD for you if you want, let me know. I like them, despite the Oxbridge vowels.

Other worthwhile CDs are from Tetraktys and Mala Punica.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #1221 on: November 16, 2018, 12:17:37 AM »
I wonder if you have heard this recording?

De Perugia : Chansons
Tetraktys
November 28, 2016

Somewhat more recent than the Medieval Ensemble of London's recording; I am listening now and am finding it very nice.  Tetraktys is not praised uniformly, but I enjoyed their three volumes of the Chantilly Codex recordings quite a bit.

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #1222 on: November 16, 2018, 04:03:32 AM »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #1223 on: November 16, 2018, 04:59:52 AM »
  This box is so full of beautiful things that I have decided to buy it !!   :)

Congratulations, the secular songs by Dufay are not complete in this box, only one (= 5 CD ) and the Carmina Burana the same.The Dufay songs are wonderful and you might be interested in this box.

I bought mine,the Dufay box much more expensive.Good luck. ;)

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dufay-Complete-Secular-Music-Medieval-Ensemble-of-London-LOiseau-Lyre-Box-Set/264040002108?hash=item3d7a02b23c:g:430AAOSwXUdbm-Dk:rk:1:pf:0

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #1224 on: November 16, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »
Congratulations, the secular songs by Dufay are not complete in this box, only one (= 5 CD ) and the Carmina Burana the same.The Dufay songs are wonderful and you might be interested in this box.

I bought mine,the Dufay box much more expensive.Good luck. ;)

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Dufay-Complete-Secular-Music-Medieval-Ensemble-of-London-LOiseau-Lyre-Box-Set/264040002108?hash=item3d7a02b23c:g:430AAOSwXUdbm-Dk:rk:1:pf:0

I already have the 5 CDs Dufay box , with my complete satisfaction . I'm not against the use of instruments for accompany vocal music, provided they are not too much in evidence against the voices ( example : Bach's motets directed by Gardiner or Harnoncourt ) so the performances of the Medieval Ensemble of London give me a strong sense of completeness and legitimacy. Even the registered sound (analogic remastered) is far better than some more recent digital Cd with their ecclesiastic reverberant acoustic ( perhaps it would cost too much to rent a recording studio..... let's go to church , then  :(  )   

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1225 on: November 16, 2018, 02:02:35 PM »
   I already have the 5 CDs Dufay box , with my complete satisfaction . I'm not against the use of instruments for accompany vocal music, provided they are not too much in evidence against the voices ( example : Bach's motets directed by Gardiner or Harnoncourt ) so the performances of the Medieval Ensemble of London give me a strong sense of completeness and legitimacy. Even the registered sound (analogic remastered) is far better than some more recent digital Cd with their ecclesiastic reverberant acoustic ( perhaps it would cost too much to rent a recording studio..... let's go to church , then  :(  )

There are some wonderful things in the box that aren’t easily obtainable any other way - the Heinrich Isaac, for example, is a great favourite of mine.

As far as instruments are concerned, you may know that Peter and Timothy Davies completely lost confidence in what they were doing because of scathing review in Oxford Early Music Magazine and maybe in Gramophone too, which mocked them for not playing a cappella. Reviews which, given the state of knowledge at the time and the state of knowledge now, were unjustifiable. It’s an interesting study of the way a musical establishment seek to create an ideological hegemony.

The sound is wonderful, warm.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:05:57 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #1226 on: November 16, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
There are some wonderful things in the box that aren’t easily obtainable any other way - the Heinrich Isaac, for example, is a great favourite of mine.

As far as instruments are concerned, you may know that Peter and Timothy Davies completely lost confidence in what they were doing because of scathing review in Oxford Early Music Magazine and maybe in Gramophone too, which mocked them for not playing a cappella. Reviews which, given the state of knowledge at the time and the state of knowledge now, were unjustifiable. It’s an interesting study of the way a musical establishment seek to create an ideological hegemony.

The sound is wonderful, warm.

I am happy with the recordings they made, it is a pity that they seem to have disappeared into thin air.

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #1227 on: November 16, 2018, 09:23:34 PM »
P.S.   To avoid misunderstandings : my reference to the Bach's motets means that I DO like the way Gardiner and Harnoncourt use instruments for accompany their choirs !

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #1228 on: November 17, 2018, 03:28:11 AM »
P.S.   To avoid misunderstandings : my reference to the Bach's motets means that I DO like the way Gardiner and Harnoncourt use instruments for accompany their choirs !

Now we can all sleep peacefully again. ;)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1229 on: November 19, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »

Is Aliénor de Bretagne the same as Aliénor d’Aquitaine?

I think the De Caelis CD is very cool to hear.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 06:10:23 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Vinbrulé

« Reply #1230 on: November 19, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
No.  Alienor (Eleonora) d'Aquitaine was the mother of King Richard the Lionheart , and grandmother of Alienor de Bretagne.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1231 on: November 19, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
No.  Alienor (Eleonora) d'Aquitaine was the mother of King Richard the Lionheart , and grandmother of Alienor de Bretagne.

Thanx