Author Topic: 6 (or so) Great symphonic openings.  (Read 6098 times)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: 6 (or so) Great symphonic openings.
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »
     For Zarathustra I go with the 2nd Reiner and/or the Kempe/Dresden.

Both are perfectly round btw.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.10

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
I opted to make two lists:

Strong or excited beginnings:

Mahler - Symphony No. 2. Dramatic, dark, ominous, the perfect way to begin a cataclysmic work.

Janacek - Glagolitic Mass. It begins in E-flat minor, my favorite key. There is a sense of a solemnity and mystery mixed I find utterly appealing.

Respighi - Trittico Botticelliano. Well, not properly symphonic, but this is sheer bliss, I must include it! It could be a poetic beginning, though.

Dvorak - Te Deum. I love the imposing timpani pounding, followed by a rather rustic theme.

Prokofiev - Symphony No. 3. I attended a concert of this work some months ago and that beginning simply stuck in my head. Wild, cacophonic, urgent, boisterous. In short, perfect.

Haydn - Symphony No. 83. It's an unusual choice of mine. By listening to this work recently made me admire this amazing symphony much more. I was enthralled by such a determined string writing. In fact, this is one of the most perfect movements by Haydn IMO. The development is just superb, hilarious, witty. I've had to play that movement over and over again!!

Poetic or quiet beginnings:

Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie. The stillness that emerges from nature is really vivid, and those bass sounds evoking mountains make them look majestic.

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 5. So soft, peaceful, pure, even a bit cold, like a subtle breeze.

Bax - Tintagel. Majestic, bucolic, airy, it gives the sense of something truly heroic.

Walton - Symphony No. 1. It's the seed for an epic work, that theme is unmistakably memorable, and the way how it is developed amazes me.

Alwyn - Lyra Angelica. Thoroughly heavenly, ethereal, inspiring. From the very first time I fell in love with this beauty.

Górecki - Symphony No. 3. A true feeling of sorrow is conveyed with such effectivity by those double basses. Poignant.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
I opted to make two lists:

Strong or excited beginnings:

Mahler - Symphony No. 2. Dramatic, dark, ominous, the perfect way to begin a cataclysmic work.

Janacek - Glagolitic Mass. It begins in E-flat minor, my favorite key. There is a sense of a solemnity and mystery mixed I find utterly appealing.

Respighi - Trittico Botticelliano. Well, not properly symphonic, but this is sheer bliss, I must include it! It could be a poetic beginning, though.

Dvorak - Te Deum. I love the imposing timpani pounding, followed by a rather rustic theme.

Prokofiev - Symphony No. 3. I attended a concert of this work some months ago and that beginning simply stuck in my head. Wild, cacophonic, urgent, boisterous. In short, perfect.

Haydn - Symphony No. 83. It's an unusual choice of mine. By listening to this work recently made me admire this amazing symphony much more. I was enthralled by such a determined string writing. In fact, this is one of the most perfect movements by Haydn IMO. The development is just superb, hilarious, witty. I've had to play that movement over and over again!!

Poetic or quiet beginnings:

Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie. The stillness that emerges from nature is really vivid, and those bass sounds evoking mountains make them look majestic.

Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 5. So soft, peaceful, pure, even a bit cold, like a subtle breeze.

Bax - Tintagel. Majestic, bucolic, airy, it gives the sense of something truly heroic.

Walton - Symphony No. 1. It's the seed for an epic work, that theme is unmistakably memorable, and the way how it is developed amazes me.

Alwyn - Lyra Angelica. Thoroughly heavenly, ethereal, inspiring. From the very first time I fell in love with this beauty.

Górecki - Symphony No. 3. A true feeling of sorrow is conveyed with such effectivity by those double basses. Poignant.
Great lists Cesar!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
The first one I'd name is Rubbra's Symphony No. 4, though not just the opening; the entire first movement unfolds as though it were one long melody. The second one that comes to mind is Martinů's Symphony No. 6 "Fantasies symphoniques". Then Shostakovich's Symphony No. 4, and Mahler's Symphony No. 3, if maybe the rest of those works don't necessarily live up to their opening pages..... 

Offline gprengel

Re: Great symphonic openings.
« Reply #64 on: Today at 01:50:42 AM »
I'd like to differeniate between slow introductions and Allegro openings:

I. my favourite slow introductions (which have not been named so far):
- Schubert: 9th symphony
- Beethoven: Overture Concecration of the House op. 124
-                   Overture Name day op. 115
- Mendelssohn: symphony 3 and 5
- Tschaikowsky: 5th symphony

II. great Allegro openings:
- Mozart: symphony K 550
- Beethoven: symphonies 3, 8 and 9
- Schumann 3rd symphony
- Brahms: 4th symphony

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: Today at 09:48:43 AM »

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Great symphonic openings.
« Reply #66 on: Today at 09:49:34 AM »
I'd like to differeniate between slow introductions and Allegro openings:

I. my favourite slow introductions (which have not been named so far):
- Schubert: 9th symphony
- Beethoven: Overture Concecration of the House op. 124
-                   Overture Name day op. 115
- Mendelssohn: symphony 3 and 5
- Tschaikowsky: 5th symphony

II. great Allegro openings:
- Mozart: symphony K 550
- Beethoven: symphonies 3, 8 and 9
- Schumann 3rd symphony
- Brahms: 4th symphony

Thumbs up for the Mendelssohn 3, Tchaikovsky 5, Beethoven 3 and Brahms 4!

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #67 on: Today at 01:34:40 PM »
A few stray suggestions

Adams Harmonielehre
Mozart 40
Brahms 4
Gershwin Rhapsody
Rochberg 5
And the obvious Beethoven 5
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.