Author Topic: The Classical Download Thread  (Read 190107 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: The Classical Download Thread
« Reply #840 on: October 18, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #841 on: October 20, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
I bought this as a "CD quality FLAC" file from Presto Classical...or so I thought. It's nothing more than a slightly upsampled MP3 file (its bit rate is 595 kbps...a CD quality FLAC is 1114.2 kbps). This is the second time Presto has ripped off customers by selling such files. They refunded my money the first I complained and requested a refund, but they didn't even bother to respond this time. They are dead to me. BUYER BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH PRESTO. Oh, the music is very intense and powerful, and the sound is decent enough, but it would have been better as a true hi-res file or a CD.

I posted this in two threads deliberately.
"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #842 on: October 20, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »
its bit rate is 595 kbps...a CD quality FLAC is 1114.2 kbps

I've ripped thousands of discs, and most/all end up below the 1411 kbps bit rate when converted to FLAC.  Yesterday I listened to one disc's worth of FLACs from Yu Kosuge's LvB sonata cycle, which is in outstanding sound, and the bit rate is 500-ish.  It sounds identical to the CD.  I've done dozens of A/Bs and never been able to hear a difference between CD and FLAC, with some previously mentioned (probable) error correction issues on Denon discs. 

I've also noticed that bit rates vary substantially on "high res" 24 bit downloads I've purchased, though they are always above the 1411 CD standard. 

Presto is almost certainly selling perfectly fine FLACs.  It would be interesting to learn if they create them, or if they simply resell files provided by the record labels.  I think you should probably know that before warning people about dealing with Presto.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:38:55 PM by Todd »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #843 on: October 20, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
Also, Presto has a more or less sterling reputation among classical shoppers and I have purchased (physical) music from them for almost a decade, so I agree that additional scrutiny is important here. There is a Presto employee on this very board.

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #844 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:42 PM »

I've ripped thousands of discs, and most/all end up below the 1411 kbps bit rate when converted to FLAC.  Yesterday I listened to one disc's worth of FLACs from Yu Kosuge's LvB sonata cycle, which is in outstanding sound, and the bit rate is 500-ish.  It sounds identical to the CD.  I've done dozens of A/Bs and never been able to hear a difference between CD and FLAC, with some previously mentioned (probable) error correction issues on Denon discs. 

I've also noticed that bit rates vary substantially on "high res" 24 bit downloads I've purchased, though they are always above the 1411 CD standard. 

Presto is almost certainly selling perfectly fine FLACs.  It would be interesting to learn if they create them, or if they simply resell files provided by the record labels.  I think you should probably know that before warning people about dealing with Presto.

According to my Lossless Audio Checker software, it is not a FLAC file but merely an upsampled MP3. They resell files, so clearly they need someone to check the files to be sure they actually are FLAC or hi-res. None of the hi-res files I've bought from them have been problematic. I've been a loyal customer for a long time, but those days are over until they respond to my email and rectify the problem.
"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #845 on: October 20, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
According to my Lossless Audio Checker software, it is not a FLAC file but merely an upsampled MP3.

Interesting, I've never heard of that happening before. 

I would think it might make sense to see if the company resolves the problem before complaining about them.

Parsifal

« Reply #846 on: October 20, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
its bit rate is 595 kbps...a CD quality FLAC is 1114.2 kbps

Every FLAC I have ever ripped in my life (and that numbers in the thousands) has resulted in a reduction to 40-60% of the original file size, giving an effective bit rat (bits read per second of audio) of 550-850 kbps.  Effective bit rate depends on the nature of the audio signal an on the details of the compression program and how it was run.

According to my Lossless Audio Checker software, it is not a FLAC file but merely an upsampled MP3. They resell files, so clearly they need someone to check the files to be sure they actually are FLAC or hi-res. None of the hi-res files I've bought from them have been problematic. I've been a loyal customer for a long time, but those days are over until they respond to my email and rectify the problem.

That is something else. It is theoretically possible to convert an MP3 file back to raw wav, then to convert that to FLAC. That would be truly pointless, but it is not so clear to me that it is possible to detect this just by analyzing the FLAC file. You have not specified how you obtained this bit rate of 595 kbps, so it is not possible to evaluate the validity of your claim. And if that is really what they did, your claim is incorrectly specified. You have do have a FLAC file, but it was generated from a mp3 file, rather than from a raw audio file (wav).

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:23:19 PM by Scarpia »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK