Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 129279 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
Excellent John! Although I'm most jealous that you have a 'De-Luxe edition' of Damien: Omen II coming. My daughter and her cousin became obsessed with the opening titles music and used to play it on their mobile phones at family dinner parties! Her cousin even wanted it played at his wedding but his fiancé unsurprisingly vetoed the idea. I have an old Jerry Goldsmith compilation album 2CD set (one of the series performed by the Prague Philharmonic) and I remember that the original 'Total Recall' extract was one of the highlights. I don't know the others although remember thinking highly of 'Chinatown' as a movie when it first came out.

Very cool, Jeffrey. 8) I try my best to find the original soundtracks. You need to get Rambo: First Blood. You really do. It’s outstanding. Other Goldsmith soundtracks I’m looking at: Alien, Logan’s Run, and Poltergeist.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1121 on: April 16, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
Bought one more Goldsmith soundtrack:

I think this will be it for awhile as now I have 10 Goldsmith soundtracks on the way.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
From the Movie topic:

Greetings!

I have been somewhat overwhelmed by assorted things recently, and so have had little time to drop by GMG.

This came up a few days ago: great news!

Sergei Bondarchuk's digitally restored, four-movie version of War and Peace, with the great score by the late Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov, will be available as of June 25th on Blu-Ray thanks to Criterion.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3DqanxfecIA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3DqanxfecIA</a>

See:

https://www.criterion.com/films/28891-war-and-peace

See also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/movies/war-and-peace-bondarchuk-lincoln-center.html

Perhaps this restored version will catalyze interest in Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov's oeuvre in general, both concert works and the film scores.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
From the Movie topic:

Perhaps this restored version will catalyze interest in Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov's oeuvre in general, both concert works and the film scores.
I very much hope so Leo - that release is great news.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1124 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Bought one more Goldsmith soundtrack:

I think this will be it for awhile as now I have 10 Goldsmith soundtracks on the way.

I have all the first three Alien scores. Alien (Goldsmith) and Aliens (Horner) are the best, especially 'Alien'. The other great score that I know by Goldsmith (I don't know 'Rambo' but will track it down) is 'Capricorn One', so I hope that is on your list John.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1125 on: April 16, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I have all the first three Alien scores. Alien (Goldsmith) and Aliens (Horner) are the best, especially 'Alien'. The other great score that I know by Goldsmith (I don't know 'Rambo' but will track it down) is 'Capricorn One', so I hope that is on your list John.
 :)

It’s on my list now. ;) Kudos for mentioning it.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1126 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
It’s on my list now. ;) Kudos for mentioning it.
:) I liked the film as well.