Author Topic: Despair in music?  (Read 1010 times)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: Despair in music?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
A detached despair, or a despairing detachment... Quite the oxymoron, honestly.  :)

I see no contradiction. The definition of dispair is a "complete loss or absence of hope." That would naturally manifest itself as a detachment from the world.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Here's a medieval interpretation of despair

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OuK55mm73kY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OuK55mm73kY</a>

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »
I see no contradiction. The definition of dispair is a "complete loss or absence of hope." That would naturally manifest itself as a detachment from the world.

Naturally? Hmmmm.... Have you ever felt a complete loss or absence of hope?
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 09:58:42 AM »
Naturally? Hmmmm.... Have you ever felt a complete loss or absence of hope?

Yes, but that is not a topic for this web site.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Yes, but that is not a topic for this web site.

Agreed, it's too personal and intimate a matter toi be discussed publicly. I might have overstepped a red line, in which case I sincerely apologize.
"I compose music because I must give utterance to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts." --- Sergei Rachmaninoff

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
Agreed, it's too personal and intimate a matter toi be discussed publicly. I might have overstepped a red line, in which case I sincerely apologize.

Not a problem.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.