Author Topic: The Classical Chat Thread  (Read 215234 times)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: The Classical Chat Thread
« Reply #2180 on: November 17, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
A portrait of Geza Anda. For Steinway / @ListenMusicMag

“Only the Steinway piano provides me with wings.”
https://www.steinway.com/artists/geza-anda …

The title loses a wonderful pun in translation from the German, where the
same phrase ("Nur Steinway verleiht mir Flügel") also means: "Only
Steinway rents pianos out to me."

Thoroughly enjoyable write-up, Jet. I've been listening to quite a bit of Anda lately, so I'm especially appreciative of your timely article.

And that's a perfect "Anda-sized" bit of Steinway ad copy in the middle of your article. I have no doubts Anda would've approved. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #2181 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyable write-up, Jet. I've been listening to quite a bit of Anda lately, so I'm especially appreciative of your timely article.

And that's a perfect "Anda-sized" bit of Steinway ad copy in the middle of your article. I have no doubts Anda would've approved. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Also, the headline (not mine, but the editor's) is something to note, because it loses a wonderful pun in translation from the German, where the same phrase ("Nur Steinway verleiht mir Flügel") also means: "Only Steinway rents pianos out to me." Which is a really good play of words for someone who had only been in German-speaking countries for about a decade or so, when he came up with it in response to a Steinway request for a PR-usable quote.

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #2183 on: November 30, 2017, 02:00:08 AM »
Welcome to Graun Gardens!

Graun's just got a big boost, methinks! Now if only people pick up on it.

Major artist-love. And very well done, both in concert and on CD:

Classical CD Of The Week: Julia Lezhneva Discovers Graun

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK