Author Topic: Time  (Read 6756 times)

Robert

Re: Time
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 12:17:08 PM »
Of course I try to do just that Robert!
Good day to you my friend. :)
Harry my friend,
Of course you also realize that all this worrying you are doing is not going to make one bit of difference. When you come to terms with that you will save yourself alot of grief...Life just goes on.....with or without us. We just have to enjoy what we have........

Harry

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 12:35:08 PM »
Harry my friend,
Of course you also realize that all this worrying you are doing is not going to make one bit of difference. When you come to terms with that you will save yourself alot of grief...Life just goes on.....with or without us. We just have to enjoy what we have........

Of course you are right, of course you are!

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »

Time is an illusion, just like death.
Indeed! I mean time... death is no illusion; it is the only fact we can count on actually  >:D And we should be thankful that there is that one and only thing that we know WILL happen.  It brings perspective to our lives. Impermanence for me is the key

Mark

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 12:46:47 PM »
Indeed! I mean time... death is no illusion; it is the only fact we can count on actually  >:D And we should be thankful that there is that one and only thing that we know WILL happen.  It brings perspective to our lives. Impermanence for me is the key

Well, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of death. ;)

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »
Well, looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject of death. ;)
The most honest agreement two people can come to.

Mozart

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 01:14:23 PM »
Well to me it seems that people do the same thing everyday with a few differences from day to day. So what affects their mood? Is it external to them or is it all within them? Could it be that if your in a good mood good things happen because of that?

Why would God make such a philosophical man who can question their worth in an infinite universe? It's a big recipe for that ugly D word.

Mozart

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »
I think its silly to come to terms with death. How do you know how you will react when a deadly situation comes up? You can't say your afraid of death unless you have been close to it.

Mark

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 01:24:34 PM »
There's the fear of how you will die, and fear of the fact that you will die. Almost everyone has the first kind of fear. Many also have the second kind ... though I don't, and that's what I meant.

As to what affects us each day, this from a poem by Ella Wheeler Wilcox: 'Tis not the gale but the set of our sail that determines the way we go.' I find this sums up nicely for me how I should think in any challenging situation.

Offline Solitary Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • 'She walks in beauty...like the night' ~ Byron
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:41 PM »
'Tis not the gale but the set of our sail that determines the way we go.'

Nice :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

mahlertitan

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
if you are doing the same thing everyday, time is going to go really fast.

Offline yashin

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 06:47:14 PM »
You cannot escape the pull of time-it is like being sucked along a long wind tunnel-you struggle but in the end resistance is futile.  Life can be like being on a treadmill -you can't get off.  I am reminded of that great TV series "the fall and rise of reggie perrin" a superb comedy about a man who does the same things everyday-walks the same street to work, sits next to the same people every day on the train and says the same thing to his wife every day and night.

I try not to think too much about time passing (slow or fast) but it is impossible to escape.  There are negative people and negative thoughts at every turn.

Ever bounced out of bed on a monday morning eager to get to work only to have someone starring into their coffee and telling you how they wished it was friday or they wished they could go home and sleep...There is nothing worse to make your blood pressure shoot back up.

Ever been happy to get your pay check only to have someone tell you it is 4 weeks till the next one... Or even worse if you get paid early in December and then get told it is 6 weeks till you get paid.....Or that they have money now but a day later when they have paid the mortgage, bills, and loans they will be back in debt...................Yikes these people are everywhere.

I am told by colleagues that they are in bed by 9.30pm every night and how they need 8-10hrs sleep a night.  I am supprised at how many tell me this and they range from 20's to 40+ ages.  Why do they need to sleep so much?  One colleague also tells me that they sleep till 2-3pm on a saturday afternoon....what the hell have they been doing?  No wonder time passes.....(by the way, i wake earlier, travel further and get home later than these people)

Sometimes i am frustrated by my parents -they are 60 yrs old but have stopped doing anything nice.  Everything is too far, too cold, too expensive, takes too much time, means they have to wake early or go to bed late.  Suggest an meal on their birthday and it is all "yes, wonderful" but then the day comes and it is "we decided just to have some breakfast at home......town will be busy today..." .  It is like they are waiting to die or something.

I think you have to think more positively.  We spend so much time wishing life away, dreading people, meetings, the length of your day, the fact that you have to shop after work, having to come home and cook, do the laundry.

Do something different.  Rather than moan about using the metro everyday, take a book, listen to your ipod.  Rather than moan about a short lunch break-have it outside, take 10 mins to read a book, put the radio on for a few minutes.

I am in  position now where a colleagues husband has just been diagnosed with throat cancer, the outlook is bleak and his time left short....Has made me think about my own mortality again...what i haven't done, what i have done....what i always wanted to do etc.......This surge of feelings happens to us all now and again.....if only we could hold onto it when times are dull and remember that "time" is something we DO HAVE..unlike so many others who wished they had more......Just a thought (did not mean to rant and hijack the thread)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »
Keeping time time time
In a sort of Runic rhyme
To the tintinabulation that so musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mozart

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
Sometimes i am frustrated by my parents -they are 60 yrs old but have stopped doing anything nice.  Everything is too far, too cold, too expensive, takes too much time, means they have to wake early or go to bed late.

Lol try growing up with mine. My dad hates to do everything  If we should take a trip anywhere the most important thing is getting there quickly. Need to pee? TOO BAD! no potty for you! Hold it in its only another 45 minutes! Theres no reason to do anything....

My mother likes to go out and see things but she gets frustrated over nothing. Waiting a stop light for too long and she will light up a cig. Money is always her thing, if anything cost a dollar its not worth doing.

Imagine growing up with those 2! Wild childhood memories of... ummm.... yeah :)

Offline yashin

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2007, 07:10:59 PM »
Yes, parents that is another issue.

I moved to Asia and they are in the UK.  I call them every sunday ....i get asked straight away by dad "whats the weather like", mum asks first "how are you, how is work, is it hot" 3 questions in a row, the same every week......Mum still cannot grasp the fact that i am 7hrs ahead and will still call me at 3am here and say she forgot or did not realise.  She still expects me to remember when mothers day is in the UK even though i am in Asia -like i would know!!!

Not as bad as my Grandma who is 90 -i call her and she always asks "are you home, you sound like you are just around the corner" ....bless her.

And we wonder why time goes slow.

Offline Bonehelm

• Veteran member
  • Little Yu
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »
You know what's the best way to lengthen a day? Listen to an entire Mahler symphony cycle, I swear you'll notice the sun never goes down.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2007, 07:51:47 PM »
Harry,
We have a friend that has inoperable cancer at this time.  He has two children about the same age as ours (4 and 8 ) and he is about the same age as myself.  Because of his illness and his closeness to our family, our perspective on many things, including "time" (and I will address only this component) has changed in many ways.  Though one of us could die tomorrow due to an accident or heart attck, etc, I have found that I am "more" greatful for each minute that I am here and these minutes have seemed to slow some since I savor them more than I used to.  Do not get me wrong, I never have been passé about the time I had left, this incident just changed how time seems to pass for us.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:01:45 PM by Bogey »
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mozart

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »
Yes, parents that is another issue.

I moved to Asia and they are in the UK.  I call them every sunday ....i get asked straight away by dad "whats the weather like", mum asks first "how are you, how is work, is it hot" 3 questions in a row, the same every week......Mum still cannot grasp the fact that i am 7hrs ahead and will still call me at 3am here and say she forgot or did not realise.  She still expects me to remember when mothers day is in the UK even though i am in Asia -like i would know!!!

Not as bad as my Grandma who is 90 -i call her and she always asks "are you home, you sound like you are just around the corner" ....bless her.

And we wonder why time goes slow.

Gives you a reason to stay out Saturday until 3 am :)

Robert

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »
Harry,
We have a friend that has inoperable cancer at this time.  He has two children about the same age as ours (4 and 8 ) and he is about the same age as myself.  Because of his illness and his closeness to our family, our perspective on many things, including "time" (and I will address only this component) has changed in many ways.  Though one of us could die tomorrow due to an accident or heart attck, etc, I have found that I am "more" greatful for each minute that I am here and these minutes have seemed to slow some since I savor them more than I used to.  Do not get me wrong, I never have been passé about the time I had left, this incident just changed how time seems to pass for us.
Bill
Its events like this that makes us aware of how precarious and precious life is....

Offline yashin

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »
In the end we all moan about time (either slow or fast). But when the sand-timer has been started on us we all want to use our time to the full. 

Maybe we should take down the clocks we watch constantly to see when it is time to go home, remove our watches to stop us thinking about which train we can catch to get home and not look at our daily agenda. We should go to bed when we feel like it, eat when hungry (not at 6pm on the dot because we always do!) and not worry about listening to some music because it is 9pm and it lasts for 2 hours so it will be too late to finish it.

I am on holiday now, at home.  Supposed to be resting and relaxing.  All i am doing is watching the clock, wondering when to have lunch, what to have, when to swim, whether or not to go to the mall.  Our lives are run by time.  No wonder we get depressed by it.

Mozart

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2007, 09:20:27 PM »
In the end we all moan about time (either slow or fast). But when the sand-timer has been started on us we all want to use our time to the full. 

Maybe we should take down the clocks we watch constantly to see when it is time to go home, remove our watches to stop us thinking about which train we can catch to get home and not look at our daily agenda. We should go to bed when we feel like it, eat when hungry (not at 6pm on the dot because we always do!) and not worry about listening to some music because it is 9pm and it lasts for 2 hours so it will be too late to finish it.

I am on holiday now, at home.  Supposed to be resting and relaxing.  All i am doing is watching the clock, wondering when to have lunch, what to have, when to swim, whether or not to go to the mall.  Our lives are run by time.  No wonder we get depressed by it.

What you need is a crazy adventure. How about it? A bottle of scotch, a couple hundred dollars, and a monkey ninja in banana pajamas and you might have a blast! Just be careful, you might wake up with 2 headaches.