Author Topic: Time  (Read 6763 times)

Harry

Re: Time
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »
Harry,
We have a friend that has inoperable cancer at this time.  He has two children about the same age as ours (4 and 8 ) and he is about the same age as myself.  Because of his illness and his closeness to our family, our perspective on many things, including "time" (and I will address only this component) has changed in many ways.  Though one of us could die tomorrow due to an accident or heart attck, etc, I have found that I am "more" greatful for each minute that I am here and these minutes have seemed to slow some since I savor them more than I used to.  Do not get me wrong, I never have been passé about the time I had left, this incident just changed how time seems to pass for us.

Yes that puts my time issue in perspective again.
Thanks Bill!

Offline Valentino

• Veteran member
  • JB rünnhilde
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »
This morning my two boys (2 1/2 and almost 5) grabbed a maracas each for a microphone and started singing a popular childrens pirate song. A precious moment, like frosen in time.

This is Tom Waits:
Well the smart moneys on harlow and the moon is in the street
And the shadow boys are breaking all the laws
And you're east of east Saint Louis and the wind is making speeches
And the rain sounds like a round of applause
And Napoleon is weeping in a carnival saloon
His invisible fiancee's in the mirror
And the band is going home, its raining hammers, its raining nails
And its true theres nothing left for him down here

And its time time time, and its time time time
And its time time time that you love
And its time time time

And they all pretend they're orphans and their memory's like a train
You can see it getting smaller as it pulls away
And the things you can't remember tell the things you can't forget
That history puts a saint in every dream

Well she said she'd stick around until the bandages came off
But these mamas boys just don't know when to quit
And Mathilda asks the sailors are those dreams or are those prayers?
So close your eyes, son, and this won't hurt a bit

Oh its time time time, and its time time time
And its time time time

Well things are pretty lousy for a calendar girl
The boys just dive right off the cars and splash into the street
And when theyre on a roll she pulls a razor from her boot
And a thousand pigeons fall around her feet
So put a candle in the window and a kiss upon his lips
As the dish outside the window fills with rain
Just like a stranger with the weeds in your heart
And pay the fiddler off til I come back again

Oh its time time time, and its time time time
And its time time time
And its time time time, and its time time time
And its time time time
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes

Papageno

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
Yes, over the past few years I feel time diminishing and that before I know it I'll be at the end of my life thinking how I didn't leave anything.

Harry

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
Yes, over the past few years I feel time diminishing and that before I know it I'll be at the end of my life thinking how I didn't leave anything.

True!

Mark

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 12:48:37 AM »
I suppose much depends upon how you look at life. Most people seem to take either the view that when you go, you're gone and that's the end of it all, or the view that you die and go to some kind of heaven ... or the other place. Whereas my study of esoteric and metaphysical ideas has me thinking differently. Life is an endless continuum: it never stops, it simply evolves through long aeons. Everything that is created in the whole Cosmos is steadily progressing from the most basic forms into ones much higher. For humans, this means an evolution towards an expanded consciousness which will free us from the apparent mediocrity of what we mistakenly think of as 'life', and enable us to participate consciously in the very act and fabric of creation itself.

Given these views, I generally tend to be hugely optimistic about our, as yet, dim and distant future. It cheers me to think that life is indeed everlasting; perhaps not in the forms which we relate to in this incarnation, but what of it? Would anyone here still seriously want to be the person they were aged six, or aged 18, or aged ... whenever? Most would be horrified to have to go back and repeat all the foolishness of years past, and even the prospect of reliving the good times wouldn't be sufficiently conducive to get them to return if such were ever possible. By the same token, why would anyone wish to return to a previous incarnation, again if such were possible?

The journey and the experiences life brings - though that journey may take thousands of years - is all that really matters. I'd rather think of it this way and try to act accordingly than sit around wallowing in self pity and watching the clock.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:52:08 AM by Mark »

Mozart

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:53 AM »
Just like in Final Fantasy 7! Just hope that an energy company doesn't find a way to mine that "fabric of creation" to live more comfortable lives or else they will use their influence to stop anyone who thinks it will destroy the planet.  ;D  haha

What happens when you die? Its a singularity, and there is no way to look into it so why even think about it?

Mark

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 01:14:52 AM »
What happens when you die? Its a singularity

Esoteric literature contains a good deal of information on man's postmortem state ... but that's not for this thread. ;)

Mozart

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 01:21:17 AM »
Esoteric literature contains a good deal of information on man's postmortem state ... but that's not for this thread. ;)

If my farts could be translated so would they!  :D If it can't be proven how can it be information? And the only way to prove it is to die and then come back and tell us what happens. Or in prince of persia, just rewind the sands of time!

* 2 video game references in 1 night.. Booyah

Offline BachQ

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 03:36:27 AM »
......... I wish I had more time for this thread ......... but ..........  >:D

head-case

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 06:08:36 AM »
Do you remember any of your previous incarnations?  Assuming you are not writing from a psychiatric hospital, the answer is clearly "no."  Since you are thus completely disconnected from any of your previous and presumably future incarnations, in what sense can this continuity be said to exist?

And, unfortunately, your continuous evolution towards higher forms violates the second law of thermodynamics, it can't happen.

I think the most interesting thing about your remarks is that you describe yourself as studying "esoteric and metaphysical ideas."  You seem to be most concerned with the extent to which such ideas that are pleasant to you, without regard to whether there is any reason to believe these ideas have a basis in reality.

I suppose much depends upon how you look at life. Most people seem to take either the view that when you go, you're gone and that's the end of it all, or the view that you die and go to some kind of heaven ... or the other place. Whereas my study of esoteric and metaphysical ideas has me thinking differently. Life is an endless continuum: it never stops, it simply evolves through long aeons. Everything that is created in the whole Cosmos is steadily progressing from the most basic forms into ones much higher. For humans, this means an evolution towards an expanded consciousness which will free us from the apparent mediocrity of what we mistakenly think of as 'life', and enable us to participate consciously in the very act and fabric of creation itself.

Given these views, I generally tend to be hugely optimistic about our, as yet, dim and distant future. It cheers me to think that life is indeed everlasting; perhaps not in the forms which we relate to in this incarnation, but what of it? Would anyone here still seriously want to be the person they were aged six, or aged 18, or aged ... whenever? Most would be horrified to have to go back and repeat all the foolishness of years past, and even the prospect of reliving the good times wouldn't be sufficiently conducive to get them to return if such were ever possible. By the same token, why would anyone wish to return to a previous incarnation, again if such were possible?

The journey and the experiences life brings - though that journey may take thousands of years - is all that really matters. I'd rather think of it this way and try to act accordingly than sit around wallowing in self pity and watching the clock.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:21:42 AM by head-case »

Mark

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »
Do you remember any of your previous incarnations?  Assuming you are not writing from a psychiatric hospital, the answer is clearly "no."  Since you are thus completely disconnected from any of your previous and presumably future incarnations, in what sense can this continuity be said to exist?

And, unfortunately, your continuous evolution towards higher forms violates the second law of thermodynamics, it can't happen.

I think the most interesting thing about your remarks is that you describe yourself as studying "esoteric and metaphysical ideas."  You seem to be most concerned with the extent to which such ideas that are pleasant to you, without regard to whether there is any reason to believe these ideas have a basis in reality.

For the record, I treat everything esoteric or metaphysical as purely hypothetical. I don't claim to be able to verify any of the information I've read, and that's why it remains a belief for me at this stage. I guess we'll all find out sooner or later if there's any truth in it. ;)

head-case

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
For the record, I treat everything esoteric or metaphysical as purely hypothetical. I don't claim to be able to verify any of the information I've read, and that's why it remains a belief for me at this stage. I guess we'll all find out sooner or later if there's any truth in it. ;)

Well, maybe not.  If the "you die and that's the end of it" people are right, you never really get to appreciate that fact properly, do you.

Harry

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »
Well, maybe not.  If the "you die and that's the end of it" people are right, you never really get to appreciate that fact properly, do you.

Well neither you know for sure or Mark or anyone, so proving it is a endless discussion with no solution other than your personal opinion, which everyone is free on this thread to give.

Mozart

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 11:04:12 PM »
Well neither you know for sure or Mark or anyone, so proving it is a endless discussion with no solution other than your personal opinion, which everyone is free on this thread to give.

I need to learn to think this way, but I think you said the same thing as me.  ;)

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.