Author Topic: Reicha's RomperRoom  (Read 9296 times)

Offline Gabriel

• A Chilean in Santiago (Vivat Haydn!)
Re: Reicha's RomperRoom
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
What about this, gentlemen? :) :)

Samples

As a Baroque nut I love the concept of it! :)

Q

I have that recording, but I dislike in it the sound of the fortepiano. I'd prefer for these fugues (which are really beautiful and interesting) the sound of a modern piano (as in the Milan Langer selections of op. 36 that I own).

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:53 AM »
I have that recording, but I dislike in it the sound of the fortepiano. I'd prefer for these fugues (which are really beautiful and interesting) the sound of a modern piano (as in the Milan Langer selections of op. 36 that I own).

Thanks! :) That actually constitutes a resounding recommendation for me, because the instrument was the very least of my worries. The bell-like sound of a Walter is not the everybody's liking but this particular instrument sounds to be in excellent condition with a - for a Walter (!) - rather full and soft edged sound. Goes on the shopping list for an order at Arta. :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 07:56:13 AM »
Well, TTT - been over 3 years since a post to Anton's thread - YIKES!  :o

Just left the post quoted below in the 'listening thread' on complete sets of the Reicha Wind Quintets - for those wanting a complete collection (and all of these works are worth hearing w/ virtuosic playing) - I've only compared a few works from his Op. 88 compositions (6 total) - looking at pics in the booklets, modern instruments are used in both offerings - these works were composed from 1811-1820, so would be nice to know if PIs recordings exist?

Now, as stated below the WWQ is quite good but both groups are excellent in these performances, so price may be the deciding factor if one wants to obtain all of these wind quintets - the cheapest way that I can see to acquire the WWQ would be digital DLs, e.g. at Classicsonline, 12 MP3 discs would be $120 (unless one has credit there or signs up for their special deals?) - 6 discs of MP3s could be 'burned' to 1 CD-R, so just 2 burned discs for all of the works - and the booklets did come w/ my 2 DLs from them (so assume booklets are available for all 12) - Dave :)

Reicha, Anton (1770-1836) - Wind Quintets, Op. 88 w/ the Albert Schweitzer Quintett (ASQ) vs. the Westwood Wind Quintet (WWQ) - well, curiosity got the best of me; after purchasing the 10-CD box w/ the ASQ ($57 from JPC), I wanted to hear the only competition, i.e. the WWQ, so last night downloaded their first 2 volumes from Classicsonline (just $18 w/ a little credit I had there) - burned both to a CD-R and am listening now.

Both groups are excellent in these works, but I might prefer slightly the WWQ - the ASQ performances are from the mid- to late 1980s while the WWQ are about 20 years later - sound recording still excellent on both; for a couple of Fanfare reviews, see the attachment. However for pricing, the WWQ box (12 discs) is nearly 3x the price of the other (i.e. $162 on Amazon and nearly $170 @ Arkiv Music) - Dave :)

CORRECTION:  How many MP3 files will fit on a CD-R of course depends on their compression ratio which relates to bit rate (i.e. Kbps) - if these files were 192 Kbps (about a 7:1 ratio), then my estimate of 2 'burned' discs would be fine; BUT, the files that DL from Classicsonline are 320 Kbps (just over a 4:1 ratio), so would require at least 3 CD-Rs - just wanted to clarify.  Dave
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:35:47 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
Well, TTT - been over 3 years since a post to Anton's thread - YIKES!  :o

Just left the post quoted below in the 'listening thread' on complete sets of the Reicha Wind Quintets - for those wanting a complete collection (and all of these works are worth hearing w/ virtuosic playing) - I've only compared a few works from his Op. 88 compositions (6 total) - looking at pics in the booklets, modern instruments are used in both offerings - these works were composed from 1811-1820, so would be nice to know if PIs recordings exist?

Now, as stated below the WWQ is quite good but both groups are excellent in these performances, so price may be the deciding factor if one wants to obtain all of these wind quintets - the cheapest way that I can see to acquire the WWQ would be digital DLs, e.g. at Classicsonline, 12 MP3 discs would be $120 (unless one has credit there or signs up for their special deals?) - 6 discs of MP3s could be 'burned' to 1 CD-R, so just 2 burned discs for all of the works - and the booklets did come w/ my 2 DLs from them (so assume booklets are available for all 12) - Dave :)

Cool. I'd be curious if any more SQs have been released. WOW! I remember doing the Haydn SQ thing 3-4 years ago- time time time
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 08:51:46 AM »
Cool. I'd be curious if any more SQs have been released. WOW! I remember doing the Haydn SQ thing 3-4 years ago- time time time

Hey Snyprrr - well, I still have NO Reicha String Quartets in my collection - just checked and he wrote at least 23!

In searching Amazon USA, I could find only the two below (have not looked @ reviews of these recordings, yet) - both are available from Amazon & Classicsonline as MP3 DLs - hopefully others may respond - Dave :)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:37:19 PM by SonicMan46 »

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
Hey Snyprrr - well, I still have NO Reicha String Quartets in my collection - just checked and he wrote at least 23!

In searching Amazon USA, I could find only the two below (have not looked @ reviews of these recordings, yet) - both are available from Amazon & Classicsonline as MP3 DLs - hopefully others may respond - Dave :)

Well, I was about to purchase the above recordings as MP3 DLs, but found a Fanfare review by Jerry Dubins (portion of which is attached); just one paragraph quoted below:

To put it simply, the collective sound the players make—the tonal picture they present, if you will—is not very pretty. It’s gritty and grainy, with little refinement and a lot of roughness. I also sense a kind of slapdash attitude, as in “No one knows this music anyway, so it doesn’t matter if we don’t play neatly and cleanly or hit all the notes in tune. Who’s going to know the difference?” Well, I do, for one, and I don’t like this kind of careless, messy playing. It might pass in some totally avant-garde piece in which it really may be hard to tell if the right notes are being played, but these quartets by Reicha require the same sort of technical discipline, accuracy, and informed style of performance one would expect to hear if the music were by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.

ALSO attached is yet another more extended Fanfare article about the 'complete' sets of Reicha's Wind Quintets, for those interested - Dave :)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: Reicha's RomperRoom - Piano Quintet
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »
I had not listened to ol' Anton recently (aka probably 3 yrs!) so I pulled out the Quintet for Piano & Strings in c . . .
Not sure why, but this impresses me more than any thing else of his that I've heard.
It's much more Romantic than the large majority of his music.

:)
High Sierra's 'Secure Kernel Extension Loading' is Broken-a new 'security' feature in macOS 10.13, is trivial to bypass-let Apple know to address this prior to release!!

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
Well, yet another long gap (2 years this time) since the last posting here - second quote below is a post that I just left in the 'Listening Thread' - just received the 12-CD Crystal Records box of Reicha's Wind Quintets - as noted below, I also own the CPO 10-disc box, but really am enjoying these Westwood WQ recordings - about a year ago, I sent an email to Crystal Records, and received the response below from Peter Christ (the oboist) - modern instruments were used, for those interested, but Reicha's original manuscripts were also used w/ repeats done.  Dave :)

Hello David,

Always good to hear from a Reicha fan.

We used modern instruments for all of the quintets. For our touch of historical authenticity, we did use the original Reicha manuscripts.

Good listening,

Peter Christ
Crystal Records Inc.

Reicha, Anton (1770-1836) - Wind Quintets, V. 3 & 4 w/ the Westwood Wind Quintet - my 12-CD box of these works arrived yesterday and listening to two discs per day; also own the 10-CD CPO box - both are excellent, but I'm preferring the Westwood WQ - performances are more recent, sound more up-front, and instruments stand out clearer; however, both groups use modern instruments - Reicha wrote his 24 wind quintets between 1810-1820 when the instruments used at the time were in a state of changing development, so selection of 'period instruments' for these works would be interesting.  As w/ the CPO offering, Crystal Records packages the 12 recordings in separate single jewel boxes w/ original and excellent liner notes for each, thus a moderately large box.  Dave :)

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
Back in 2009, Gabriel posted a list of 'recommended' works by Reicha - so, I was just curious 'how much' he did indeed compose?  Well, his works are numerous and varied - below is a list compiled from HERE - actually there are two lists in the link given, one by Opus Numbers, and the other by genre from which the quoted list is generated - now my counting may be slightly off here and there but the numbers are IMPRESSIVE - total about 460 works, and I'm sure that may be somewhat underestimated, and of course does not account for 'missing' works.  Dave :)

Orchestral Works
  Concertos (6) - Piano, Violin, Cello x 3, Clarinet
  Symphonies (12) - Nos. 1-3; 9 others
  Misc Orchestral Works (14)
  Overtures (12)

Chamber Works
  Flute Works (32) - Duos, Trios, Quartet, etc.
  Horn Trios (24) - 2 Horns & Bassoon
  Misc. Works (2) - Concertante & ‘Wind Quintet’
  Piano Chamber Works (33) - w/ Winds & Strings
  Piano Solo Works (80) - Maybe much more?
  Piano Works (undated) (25)
  String Works (82
    String Duos (35) - Violin & Cello (25); Two Violins (10)
    String Trios (5) - Various combinations
    String Quartets (31)
    String Quintets (11)
  Wind/String Works (54 ) - Trios, Quartets, Quintets, Octets et al
  Wind Quintets (24 + 1)

Vocal Music (59) - Theater, Orchestral, Keyboard, Solo, etc.

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »
Well, I made the post quoted below over 2 years ago and still have not picked up the two discs of String Quartets shown; after reactivating this thread, I took another look on Amazon USA and these still seem to be the only Reicha recordings of this genre of chamber music; these were written when he resided in Vienna - he was a long time friend of Beethoven (same age) and they dined together, sent their music in the same packages to their publisher, and likely discussed/argued about writing this music.

The Toccata recordings have received 'mixed' opinions - attached are two PDF files of a number of reviews (5 total) - only Scott Morrison on Amazon raves about one (he did not review the other); however, the other reviewers criticize the technique of the performers and also the brightness of the sound implying that others might do a better job?  SO, just wondering after this period of quiet in the thread, whether anyone might have purchased or at least heard these works of offer an opinion?  Dave :)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »
Well, I made the post quoted below over 2 years ago and still have not picked up the two discs of String Quartets shown; after reactivating this thread, I took another look on Amazon USA and these still seem to be the only Reicha recordings of this genre of chamber music; these were written when he resided in Vienna - he was a long time friend of Beethoven (same age) and they dined together, sent their music in the same packages to their publisher, and likely discussed/argued about writing this music.

The Toccata recordings have received 'mixed' opinions - attached are two PDF files of a number of reviews (5 total) - only Scott Morrison on Amazon raves about one (he did not review the other); however, the other reviewers criticize the technique of the performers and also the brightness of the sound implying that others might do a better job?  SO, just wondering after this period of quiet in the thread, whether anyone might have purchased or at least heard these works of offer an opinion?  Dave :)

Well, look at Vol.2! :o One in Eb-Major, and one in c-minor. You know what thaaat means... there's going to be some prime angst going on somewhere, hopefully a slow c-minor in the first one, and maybe an "all movements in c-minor" from the second? LOL, I can dream!! :laugh:

That would be my recommendation, yea, it looks tempting, even if one considers sound+performance...

Still, wow, yea, I've been here... gulp... seven yeeeaaarrrrsssss... ahhhh...yea, and some Composers have made no headway... ah, Kraus stalled also I see...no Vol.2 in that SQ Cycle...

Have you tried the Gassman (extra "n"???) SQs? They were the last on my list before I gave up... I'm not sure any of the SQ Composers have gotten any more visable... I think Krommer was the last one getting some play, also many works... they all have many work, oy!

Haydn-Sikh

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
Of the Gassmann (who is Haydn's generation, not Beethoven's like Reicha) string quartets I only find two prohibitively expensive japanese live discs.

Have you heard the (7) quartets by FX Richter? They might have been composed as early or earlier than Haydn's first ones (although the 1757 dating is highly questionable, they were only published about 10 years later) and they are quite remarkable. In the context of the mid 18th century I certainly find them more interesting than what I have heard from the lesser contemporaries of the early 19th century like Ries.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
Well, my Amazon search for 'new' additions to my Reicha collection brought up little to consider; however, I did purchase the two Toccata discs of SQs, and also a 'used' disc below (quoted post just left in the listening thread) of Trios on Natural Horns - unusual recording to own but the performances are indeed as excellent as Hurwitz describes in the attached review.  Dave :)

After a number of years of dormancy on the Reicha Thread, I decided to look on Amazon for possible 'new' items to add to my collection, BUT did not find much - however, I did pickup a 'used' copy of the recording below, i.e. 24 Trios for Three Horns w/ the German Natural Horn Soloists (pic of them from the booklet on the right) - these are 'natural horns' and the musicianship is just amazing (not sure that I've heard a sour note) - despite being an hour+ in length, I'm listening through the entire disc w/o aural fatigue - ;)  Dave

P.S. reviews seem rare - but attached is one my Hurwitz for those interested - bought as a used copy from Amazon USA for about ten bucks.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »

Have you heard the (7) quartets by FX Richter? They might have been composed as early or earlier than Haydn's first ones (although the 1757 dating is highly questionable, they were only published about 10 years later) and they are quite remarkable. In the context of the mid 18th century I certainly find them more interesting than what I have heard from the lesser contemporaries of the early 19th century like Ries.

I have the CD on... mm... with the painting on the cover...

Yes, he has a very particular sound, very different, almost makes me want to say French 1914???  Surely I'm imagining... haven't heard them in years, would have to go to the storage bin... but I do remember the "famous" melody shows up here in SQ form for the first time.

Haydn-Sikh

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »
A 2014 release of Reicha SQ

A new 3CD release of his chamber music

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:56 AM »
A 2014 release of Reicha SQ

A new 3CD release of his chamber music

Well, my Amazon search for 'new' additions to my Reicha collection brought up little to consider; however, I did purchase the two Toccata discs of SQs, and also a 'used' disc below (quoted post just left in the listening thread) of Trios on Natural Horns - unusual recording to own but the performances are indeed as excellent as Hurwitz describes in the attached review.  Dave :)

How did those Toccata label SQs treat you, Sonic? Look!!- there's a newish SQ release above...

Haydn-Sikh

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 08:06:21 AM »
This is the tracklist of the alpha CD-set
CD 1
quatuor à cordes en mi majeur, op. 95 n° 1
quintette avec deux altos en fa majeur, op. 92 n° 1
CD 2
Piano works
sonate pour piano en mi majeur
étude n° 29 : « l’enharmonique », op. 97 2’26
sonate pour piano en fa majeur sur la flûte enchantée
fugue n° 9 : « cercle harmonique »
variations sur un thème de gluck, op. 87
CD 3
trio avec piano en ré mineur, op. 101 n° 2
trio pour trois violoncelles
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
How did those Toccata label SQs treat you, Sonic? Look!!- there's a newish SQ release above...

Hi Guys - looks like Reicha has re-emerged after another year or so of hibernation - but @ Snyprrr - I never purchased the String Quartets on Toccata - the Dubins comments dissuaded me, I guess.  But I'll take a look at the the first CD posted by Spineur - -not sure where it might be available (not on Amazon unless I'm missing the posting)?  The 3-disc set might be of interest to others just getting into this composer but I now have nearly 2 dozen recordings of his works (12 in a box) and have many of those works listed.

Now listening to the Piano Trios w/ the Guarneri Trio Prague (have the cover on the left, but same works w/ another cover on right; Op. 101, Nos. 1-3 - have not seen the other 3 of that opus?) - some reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:00:48 AM by SonicMan46 »

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »
Well, I've been googling that Reicha SQ CD - released on a French label (listing below - Source) - not available on Amazon USA (found on Amazon Fr + downloads can be purchased - one example shown below - LINK).

Also, looked on Spotify (on my iPad so can wire into my den speakers or do BT in the basement) - the 3-CD 'Chamber Music' set & the Toccata SQs are available (plus, many others but not the one w/ the Quatuor Ardeo - seem to be 4 young ladies from one of their YouTube videos).  Dave :)

Reicha / 3 Quatuors – Quatuor Ardeo

l’empreinte digitale ED13240 - ED13240 – © l’empreinte digitale 2014 – TT 63’56 - PARUTION 6 novembre 2014

Trois quatuors monographie
Quatuor op. 49 n° 1 en do mineur
Quatuor op. 90 n° 2 en sol majeur*
Quatuor op. 94 n° 3 en fa mineur*
* premiers enregistrements mondiaux

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Recently, I listened to the two recordings below of 4 of the Reicha String Quartets w/ the Kreutzer Quartet - done using Spotify streamed to a decent BT soundbar in my basement near my treadmill & small wine collection - ;) 

These are complex works w/ great integration of the instruments - however, the sound was occasionally harsh and not pleasant - attached are nearly a half dozen reviews (Fanfare, MusicWeb, & Scott Morrison from Amazon) - the comments are quite varied - loved by Scott and disliked by Dubins; MusicWeb reviews in the middle - not sure that I'm interested in a purchase - last night I listened to Quatuor Ardeo on a YouTube video (below) and really enjoyed their integrated sound (now their playing just one movement from a Op. 90 composition, so not one included w/ the Kreutzer recordings) - I would really like to hear that entire Ardeo disc that I posted previously, but would be a DL purchase - if others reading this thread have heard these apparent young gals, then please comment, and I'll look further!  Dave :)

<a href="https://youtu.be/ZP85xrn52tw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/ZP85xrn52tw</a>

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK