Author Topic: What was your first classical LP or CD?  (Read 23387 times)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
Re: What was your first classical LP or CD?
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:03 PM »
The first vinyl LP I brought was Debussy's La Mer, but that was quite a bit after I got my first classical CDs
Which recording?

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
Which recording?

The orchestra is "L'Orchestre De La Suisse Romande", I picked it up cheap but enjoyed it nethertheless!  :D

Obviously by now I have it on CD too!  (off the deutsche grammophon label)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
The orchestra is "L'Orchestre De La Suisse Romande", I picked it up cheap but enjoyed it nethertheless!  :D

Obviously by now I have it on CD too!  (off the deutsche grammophon label)
Ah...was the conductor Ansermet? I haven't heard it but I believe it is a recording loved by many.

I have La Mer on LP too...but with Boulez! 8)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2016, 10:42:35 PM »
Ah...was the conductor Ansermet? I haven't heard it but I believe it is a recording loved by many.

Don't worry I have plenty of CDs with Boulez conducting, plus Pli Salone Pli, Notations and the piano Sonatas too.  8)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:59 PM »

I thought that the Boulez LP with La Mer and Nocturnes on was excellent.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2016, 11:07:42 PM »
I thought that the Boulez LP with La Mer and Nocturnes on was excellent.

I love Nocturnes so much, damn impressive Debussy!  ;)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2016, 11:23:32 PM »
I feel that I prefer Nocturnes to La Mer although I haven't the faintest idea as to why..............

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »
I feel that I prefer Nocturnes to La Mer although I haven't the faintest idea as to why..............

The awesome second movement of Nocturnes? Is that why? Or that opening of Nuages?  ;)
I do really like La Mer though, there's something special about it to me, but I wouldn't know what to pick if I had to decide between the two  :laugh:

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
The awesome second movement of Nocturnes? Is that why? Or that opening of Nuages?  ;)
I do really like La Mer though, there's something special about it to me, but I wouldn't know what to pick if I had to decide between the two  :laugh:
It could be my infatuation of this video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y17-pJZ9nEg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y17-pJZ9nEg</a>

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »
The first LP I bought myself was in 1976, on the news of Britten's death (with another cover that I cannot find) - all three pieces are still favourites:

The first series of LP's I conscously played, from my parents' collection and early 1970s, were the first Karajan Beethoven cycle:
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2016, 12:03:15 AM »
It could be my infatuation of this video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y17-pJZ9nEg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y17-pJZ9nEg</a>

That is one of the coolest things ever, never knew Boulez was so....hip and trendy  :laugh:

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2016, 06:16:10 AM »
Gosh, this is really buried in the memory archives.
However, I think it was Ferrante and Teicher piano duo. The record had some classical bits together with the much admired "Falling Leaves" descending double third chromatic scales in sync.
This was bought together with Oscar Levant playing Rhapsody in Blue with Gershwin's Piano Concerto on the flip side.
I used to borrow LP's from the lending library for the most part when I was in high school.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline Andante

« Reply #292 on: September 14, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »
Can you remember the first CD that you heard/brought?
I was at a music store in their upper room browsing LPs and Tapes and as I descended the stairs to leave I heard a solo Clarinet playing eventually joined by the other wind instruments I did not know that there was a group playing that day, reaching the ground floor there was no sight of the ens but an assistant saw me looking around and laughed he showed me this box thingy that turned out to be a CD player and told me all about this amazing new format, I was hooked on the clarity of sound and in a few days was the owner of a beginners set up “Technics”  all in one unit but separate speakers but still to purchase a CD. 
In a music shop as I looked for the CD section a young assistant started chatting and said they had just received stock of a CD that was much in demand it was on the DG label and was Mendelssohn/Bruch violin con, BPO Karajan. Anna Sophie Mutter. It was a remaster of a 1981 recording and of course aad but still sounded fantastic.
I still have and love it.   

Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Offline hpowders

« Reply #293 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
I believe the first CD I ever bought was the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 with Haitink/Concertgebouw many years ago.
So much more convenient than turntables and vinyl discs.
Although I must say, I like the analog sound of the late 1960's-1970's much better than the current digital sound, which leaves me cold.
I have some BSO/Brahms Symphonies/Charles Munch CDs from that time period and they are so warm and natural sounding.
"Why do so many of us try to explain the beauty of music thus depriving it of its mystery?" Leonard Bernstein. (Wait a minute!! Didn't Bernstein spend most of his life doing exactly that???)

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #294 on: September 14, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »
I remember it very well:

Offline frenchyboy

« Reply #296 on: September 15, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
The first classical recording that I heard was Mozart. I can't remember if it was Don Giovanni or Die Zauberflöte.

My father had both of these LP in his collections. I have listened to these hundreds of times when I was a kid. I still do listen to them nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:48:04 AM by frenchyboy »

Offline knight66

• Global Moderator
    • The Mirror and the Lamp
« Reply #297 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
I was probably about nine years old. My great aunt gave me two LPs, both bargain label. Holst Planets and Sound of Music. I don't recall who conducted the holst. Before I had a CD player, I started to buy CDs so that I would have something to play on the machine. The forst cd was the complete Ravel Daphnis and Chloe conducted by Dutoit. Years later he was the conductor of a performance when I was in the choir.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »
The first cd was the complete Ravel Daphnis and Chloe conducted by Dutoit.

The one with just one track, right? So convenient!

My first vinyl:

Alice Cooper, EP
House of Fire, Poison (live)
Spark in the Dark (live), Under my Wheels (live)
Epic

Über-cool! (Where's the "rock on" emoji when one needs it?)

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
Über-cool! (Where's the "rock on" emoji when one needs it?)

Here you go  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK