Author Topic: What was your first classical LP or CD?  (Read 22538 times)

George

Re: What was your first classical LP or CD?
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007, 01:42:34 PM »
First LP: Kempff LvB 8/14/23 (mono version)

First CD: Tchaikovsky Ballet Suites, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty - Karajan/VPO

I could only find the later one.  :-\

Offline BachQ

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
Nutcracker

johnQpublic

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
My first: an LP c. 1966

Bernstein - Tchiakovsky's Romeo & Juliet with the Firebird Suite

hornteacher

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 03:12:18 PM »
I was about three years old so I can't remember (but I do remember I used to stand in front of my stuffed animals and conduct them).

George

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »
I was about three years old so I can't remember (but I do remember I used to stand in front of my stuffed animals and conduct them).

Yeah, I can picture you there, with your Hillary Hahn action figure as first violin.  ;D

Choo Choo

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »
Buxtehude organ recital by Nicholas Danby

Offline op.110

• Wir betreten feuertrunken
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
Barenboim Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle (early EMI, assuming there's more than one EMI cycle of his).

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
  • Richard Wagner- The God of Opera!
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »

Cassette: Mozart's Requiem in D Minor (I am sure D minor, our D minor,  would be proud)....but I lost it when I moved to London-I bought it when I was quite young (22 years old) after watching the movie Amadeus.  It was the only Classical music cassette  I had before I discovered Classical music all over again 10 years later with Bach's  St. Matthew Passion-by then the cd had taken over the market.
  CD: Bach St. Matthew Passion (Karajan)-this was my mother's actually......

marvin
  PS (I have since replaced Mozart's Requiem with a cd version)

Offline loudav

• Emu
    • Avant Garde Project
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure my first LPs (as a kid) were Pictures (orchestral on one side and Richter's famed live piano version on the other), Messiah selections on one LP, and 1812--but I couldn't say for sure what order.

That said, the LPs that really opened me up to classical music were two discs of Beethoven's late quartets (131 and 127/135) by Quartetto Italiano that my Dad gave me when I was in college. It was one of his best ever gift calls.

First CD was probably Henry's Variations for a Door and a Sigh.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »
Can't remember the players, but it was Beethoven's "Eroica" on a cassette. Wore it out too! Also had Bach's Orchestral Suites, also on cassette. Same fate.

But 15 years later when I seriously got interested in classical music, it was Perlman's Mozart Violin Concertos & Pogorelich's Mozart sonatas disk. Great intro, IMO. :)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

hornteacher

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Yeah, I can picture you there, with your Hillary Hahn action figure as first violin.  ;D

I think those would sell like crazy.  8)

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    7 piles of CDs--1) operas & choral works, 2) solo piano works, 3) orchestral works, 4) chamber music, 5) Beethoven symphonies, 6) Horowitz @ Carnegie hall box, 7) the BIG Toscanini RCA box. Cycling from one to another.
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
LP: The Cliburn Tchaikovsky PC 1 with Kondrashin.

CD: It was a Richard Goode CD or twofer of some Beethoven piano sonatas on the BOMC (Book of the Month Club) label.  Later, Elecktra/Nonesuch bought out the series, and issued the whole set, and I threw out my BOMC CDs in favor of the complete set.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Offline PSmith08

• Veteran member
  • Some guy on the internet.
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Herbert von Karajan's 1963 performance of Beethoven's 9th, in the SACD hybrid version - which seems to have all but disappeared from the market (where I live). Still, though I've come to prefer other versions (including his 1977 recording), a solid recording and a good listen.

Steve

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 08:13:53 PM »
Never owned one, personally.

But my first experiene with classical music was probably an Van Cliburn's Tchaikovsky Piano Conerto on RCA Victor, as a baby. Great Record.   :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:46:13 PM by Steve »

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »
I think it was an LP with Bach Cantatas BWV 4, 54 and 59 conducted by Kurt Thomas in Leipzig.

Offline rubio

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
I remember my first classical LP was Beethove 5th (DG, but remember the conductor) in 1977-78 when I was 7-8 years. Then it took some years before I bought this one in 2002:

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” Bob Marley

Mark

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »
I remember my first classical LP was Beethove 5th (DG, but remember the conductor) in 1977-78 when I was 7-8 years. Then it took some years before I bought this one in 2002:

Just managed to get two new reissues of these performances for next to nothing on Amazon. :)

Danny

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »

George

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
Just managed to get two new reissues of these performances for next to nothing on Amazon. :)

You are in for a treat, my friend!  :)

Mark

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
You are in for a treat, my friend!  :)

Also picked up Maasaki Suzuki's Harpsichord version on BIS. From the samples I heard over at eMusic, I think I'm gonna prefer this work on its intended instrument (which has a particularly fine tone on this recording, from the sound of it). :)

Ironically, I just got rid of Jeno Jando's Naxos version ... because of some weird noise in the background! ;D Don't think it was humming, though; probably just mics too close to the piano. Or not ... :D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK