Author Topic: What was your first classical LP or CD?  (Read 23357 times)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: What was your first classical LP or CD?
« Reply #320 on: October 07, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
A pity about the composer, though.  0:)

Welcome to GMG!

You can be my proxy poster and I'll just stop by now and then... :D  :D

Indeed, though, welcome to GMG. We're all of different minds about music, but Szell/Cleveland is something we can all agree on. :)

8)

Sheesh...and we wonder why this board is becoming a ghost town... ::)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #321 on: October 07, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »
I have a feeling that it might be possible I posted in this thread (or another like it) a few years back, so apologies if this was mentioned before:

Purchased for me, as a birthday present, by my g/f of the time.

I didn't get properly bitten by the Classical bug until a few years later:

Prior to being interested in Classical Music I was was a movie enthusiast.
I had just watched the (minimalist) movie Jerry by Gus van Sant and I loved the music, which I found out was by Arvo Pärt so I ordered the above Disc...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #322 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
Sheesh...and we wonder why this board is becoming a ghost town... ::)

I personally don’t understand the animosity towards Wagner’s music --- the man was a brilliant composer despite what Karlo and Gurn say.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:36:09 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #323 on: October 07, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »
Wagner -- Overtures -- George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra 

I purchased it for the Flying Dutchman Overture.  A case of luck to hit on such an excellent orchestra and conductor the first time.

I’ve got this recording (somewhere) and it’s excellent the best I can remember. Anyone who’s a fan of Wagner is a friend of mine. 8) Welcome aboard! We hope to see you around more in the future.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Biffo

« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2017, 03:49:22 AM »
LP: Works by Vaughan Williams - Serenade to Music, Towards the Unknown Region, Wasps Overture & Greensleeves Fantasia - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent. A bargain price disc that cost me 10/9d. The CD reissue also has the Tallis Fantasia with the Philharmonia Orchestra.

CD: Berlioz - Te Deum - European Community Youth Orchestra and assorted choruses conducted by Claudio Abbado

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
Hard question. I just remember when a close friend lent me some CD's with the Vivaldi's Four Seasons and some waltzes by J. Strauss II. Another friend lent me a CD with some Beethoven's highlights (including the I mov. from the 5th Symphony, the I mov. from the 6th Symphony, the I mov. from Moonlight Sonata, the III mov. from the Tempest Sonata op. 31-2 and Für Elise). That was my introduction to classical music. I have to thank them, I'm very glad since they opened my mind and ears to this always fantastic and inexhaustible world.

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:09 PM »
Never owned any classical music on LP. In those days I was all about the rock'n'roll (then, toward the end of the LP era in the mid-1980s, mixed increasingly with jazz).

My dad had lots of classical LPs, though, and I did listen to them occasionally. I remember that he had Beethoven 5 (Lenny/NYPO) and Stravinsky conducting the Rite, but I particularly remember that he had a set of LPs featuring "samplers" or "highlights" of famous classical pieces - published by Time/Life or someone like that. I literally wore those out.  :)

I've only been giving serious attention to classical music for about 4-5 years, so my first purchase was on CD. Initially I did a lot of online reading to find the recordings I "should" own - only to find that, surprise surprise, there's almost no consensus on anything:D But I did see a lot of people speaking very favorably of Kleiber's recording of Beethoven 5 & 7, and I was already somewhat familiar with 5, so I bought that one.

From my wallet's perspective, it's all been downhill from there ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline eljr

• The problem with listening...
    • The ejlr "listening to" log.
« Reply #327 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »

this LP, early 70's.

I was in college and asked the store owner what would be a good introduction to classical. He gave me this, then, new release.
“You practice and you get better. It’s very simple.”
Philip Glass

Offline Senta

• Duet With Harp, Berge Missakian
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »
Okay - don't laugh, but...

:laugh:

Well, it wasn't really *my* album, it was my parents' - but definitely the first I remember hearing of "classical" which was around the time I started school (and also piano lessons).

The first classical CDs I remember buying consciously with my own money were before I even owned a CD player, I was probably about 12, had to play the CDs via PC!

This right here, I picked up in the bargain bin and my gosh, I have fond memories of listening to this disc while playing Minesweeper - the Rite of Spring excerpt alone was enough to hook me on Stravinsky for good:

https://www.amazon.com/Telarc-Collection-Vol-6/dp/B000003D6D

And on that same visit to Best Buy, picked up this box set, which really was my gateway - 10 CDs, each highlights a different composer, these were all so well-loved and played, but especially the Wagner. If you could wear a CD out it would be that one!

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Classical-Music-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000001VU5

A little later, with a real CD player, I finally graduated to "real" albums as I encountered various pieces through band and such - the next CDs I purchased were on the CBS Great Performances label, also bargains:

Wagner: Great Orchestral Music from "The Ring" (Szell/Cleveland)
Holst: The Planets (Bernstein/NY Phil)

That next year, as a freshman, we played a wind version of Carmina Burana, so I set out to buy a recording - this was the first time I consciously remember being in search of "the best recording" as I was starting to grasp how different in quality and interpretation various recordings could be.

So, faced with 4 or 5 different Carmina Buranas staring at me, what did I do as a 14 year old?

Bought the most expensive, fanciest looking, yellow labeled disc, boasting "4D" sound  ;D

(Though certainly the fact that it was a live recording with the Vienna Philharmonic was a factor too!)

And it's still a wonderful recording I really enjoy - in fact, I've never gotten around to buying another Carmina ;)

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »

I was working at Tower Records as classical clerk and part-time buyer when that was released. If l was working and someone asked for that recording, l had to take my time responding because the immediate impulse would have been something like:

" Are you f___ing kidding me??? You expect me to sell you this disco-fied atrocity as opposed to a valid recording featuring the intended version of one of the pieces misrepresented on this commercially-inspired drivel? "

Or words to that effect.  :D

In actuality, Hooked on Classics probably did lead at least a few folks into the world of serious music, who otherwise might not have ever been attracted to it. So I'm glad, looking back on that time, that l was always able to take a deep breath, hold my tongue and present my customer with the requested recording.

But it really did take a lot out of me...

Chuckling,

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »

Someone gave me that for my birthday. It was useful as I ended up tracking down every piece represented in that recording and purchase a proper recording.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2017, 02:14:44 AM »
The first classical purchase I made was the complete Beethoven symphonies. Philadelphia Orchestra/Muti on 6 discs.

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
Someone gave me that for my birthday. It was useful as I ended up tracking down every piece represented in that recording and purchase a proper recording.

Good, makes me feel better even now, decades later.  :laugh:

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK