Author Topic: What was your first classical LP or CD?  (Read 26499 times)

Offline eljr

• The problem with listening...
    • The ejlr "listening to" log.
Re: What was your first classical LP or CD?
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2017, 06:24:16 AM »

this LP, early 70's.

I was in college and asked the store owner what would be a good introduction to classical. He gave me this, then, new release.
“You practice and you get better. It’s very simple.”
Philip Glass

Offline Senta

• Duet With Harp, Berge Missakian
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »
Okay - don't laugh, but...

:laugh:

Well, it wasn't really *my* album, it was my parents' - but definitely the first I remember hearing of "classical" which was around the time I started school (and also piano lessons).

The first classical CDs I remember buying consciously with my own money were before I even owned a CD player, I was probably about 12, had to play the CDs via PC!

This right here, I picked up in the bargain bin and my gosh, I have fond memories of listening to this disc while playing Minesweeper - the Rite of Spring excerpt alone was enough to hook me on Stravinsky for good:

https://www.amazon.com/Telarc-Collection-Vol-6/dp/B000003D6D

And on that same visit to Best Buy, picked up this box set, which really was my gateway - 10 CDs, each highlights a different composer, these were all so well-loved and played, but especially the Wagner. If you could wear a CD out it would be that one!

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Classical-Music-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000001VU5

A little later, with a real CD player, I finally graduated to "real" albums as I encountered various pieces through band and such - the next CDs I purchased were on the CBS Great Performances label, also bargains:

Wagner: Great Orchestral Music from "The Ring" (Szell/Cleveland)
Holst: The Planets (Bernstein/NY Phil)

That next year, as a freshman, we played a wind version of Carmina Burana, so I set out to buy a recording - this was the first time I consciously remember being in search of "the best recording" as I was starting to grasp how different in quality and interpretation various recordings could be.

So, faced with 4 or 5 different Carmina Buranas staring at me, what did I do as a 14 year old?

Bought the most expensive, fanciest looking, yellow labeled disc, boasting "4D" sound  ;D

(Though certainly the fact that it was a live recording with the Vienna Philharmonic was a factor too!)

And it's still a wonderful recording I really enjoy - in fact, I've never gotten around to buying another Carmina ;)

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »

I was working at Tower Records as classical clerk and part-time buyer when that was released. If l was working and someone asked for that recording, l had to take my time responding because the immediate impulse would have been something like:

" Are you f___ing kidding me??? You expect me to sell you this disco-fied atrocity as opposed to a valid recording featuring the intended version of one of the pieces misrepresented on this commercially-inspired drivel? "

Or words to that effect.  :D

In actuality, Hooked on Classics probably did lead at least a few folks into the world of serious music, who otherwise might not have ever been attracted to it. So I'm glad, looking back on that time, that l was always able to take a deep breath, hold my tongue and present my customer with the requested recording.

But it really did take a lot out of me...

Chuckling,

LKB

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »

Someone gave me that for my birthday. It was useful as I ended up tracking down every piece represented in that recording and purchase a proper recording.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2017, 02:14:44 AM »
The first classical purchase I made was the complete Beethoven symphonies. Philadelphia Orchestra/Muti on 6 discs.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:50 AM »
Someone gave me that for my birthday. It was useful as I ended up tracking down every piece represented in that recording and purchase a proper recording.

Good, makes me feel better even now, decades later.  :laugh:

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...