Author Topic: Arthur Butterworth  (Read 2642 times)

Offline schweitzeralan

Arthur Butterworth
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:23:56 AM »
Butterworth's music is known and acknowledged by British cognoscenti, not to mention several enthusiasts who contribute to the  various threads in this forum, primarily the one earmarked for British composers.  As a general rule, however, from what little I've read about him, he is definitely not all that well known among the general British (or American public). I own 2 Cd's and have listened occasionally to two of his symphonies, as well as to the Viola Concerto.  I personally like the 4th Symphony as well as moments from the Concerto and Symphony #1.

What I glean from his 4th is a distinctly recognizable Nordic persuasion whose presence can be linked primarily to Sibelius, as well as to the Danish Nielson.  The music is rigorously tonal, conservative vis-a-vis the mid to late 20th century musical standards and considerations.  I tend to admit that perhaps Butterworth (no relation to the earlier British composer George) may not be a "great" composer; however, in my estimation, Butterworth creates some very fine elements, or moments for me personally, in that I sense and appreciate certain harmonies, chords and dramatic passages similar to the various Sibelianisms that haunt the 4th. There are also occasional hints, or traces of Bax, another favorite of mine.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Arthur Butterworth
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:40:51 AM »
Sad to hear of his death aged 91 recently. His fine craggy Fourth Symphony should appeal to any fan of Bax, Moeran, Vaughan Williams and Sibelius. At one point it quotes from 'The Tempest' but it is a terrific work in its own right.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:49:10 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
How's the Mrs.?

Offline J

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:33 PM »
How's the Mrs.?

Butterworth's wife herself died in 2012.