Author Topic: General Opera News  (Read 166559 times)

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: General Opera News
« Reply #760 on: April 08, 2018, 04:12:16 AM »
Did anyone see "Mozart in Coney Island", or rather, the Met's "Cosi fan tutte"?

A friend of mine got a ticket and was not particularly impressed, even less so by the call for donations at the interval.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/nyregion/coney-island-sideshows-met-opera.html

https://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/metropolitanoperahouse/metropolitan-opera-cosi-fan-tutte.php?ppcsrc=ppc-adwords-event-c-e-23443-metropolitan%2520opera%2520cosi%2520fan%2520tutte%25202018&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4_zVBRDVARIsAFNI9eCIgLeTerSS-virvwujsWmydxyQmOq6iP_SevUFsiHNMY-l1ZF-DokaAsKlEALw_wcB

I liked it better than I thought I would, but seeing it once was plenty.

Non-profits are always asking for money, and AFAIK, every Met "Live in HD" has included a request for contributions. It's brief, and necessary. I do wonder how many people who wouldn't give otherwise are inspired to do so, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: General Opera News: Young Adults Attending Operas!
« Reply #762 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »

The Wall Street Journal has an article about young European - and American adults - coming to hear operas:

Some excerpts:

...Opera is unexpectedly hip among many European young people. Through a series of innovative efforts, European cultural institutions like La Scala and the Paris Opera are attracting a younger set. La Scala’s longtime special season premieres in its Under30 program—with tickets at €20 ($23.22)—have proved to be wildly popular. The Paris Opera has introduced a similar program and in June debuted a “Phantom of the Opera” game that lets players roam through its historic venue. Membership in the youth chapter of the nonprofit Milano per la Scala foundation has risen by 60% since a new youth outreach coordinator was appointed last year.

Opera houses, ballet companies and orchestras in Europe and the U.S. face steep challenges in attracting younger audiences, and many are experimenting with new formulas to attract them. London’s Royal Opera is planning to expand its youth program next season. New York’s Metropolitan Opera in 2015 started Fridays Under 40 with performances paired with a pre- or post-performance event, at $100 for an orchestra seat...

“Attracting new and younger audiences is critical to the future of the Met, as it is for all other performing arts companies,” says Tim McKeough, a Met spokesman, adding that 3,000 tickets were sold through Fridays Under 40 for the 2017-18 season. More than 700,000 people attend performances at the Met every season....

...La Scala‘s youth and elderly attendance has increased by 30% over the past three years and now some 20% of the theater’s tickets are sold to these two age groups, says Alexander Pereria, the theater’s manager and artistic director. He points to a new program of hour-long, simplified matinee performances of classic operas he introduced for children and their parents.,,,

See:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-europes-opera-houses-won-over-millennials-1529332646

COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #763 on: June 30, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
Star tenor Roberto Alagna has cancelled his role debut as Lohengrin at this year’s Bayreuth Festival. Rehearsals were to start next Monday, and the premiere of the new production by Yuval Sharon (the first American director to be invited to the Green Hill), under the baton of Christian Thielemann, is set for July 25th.

Apparently, Mr. Alagna has not managed to learn the role (which is surprising, because his engagement was announced several years ago). German newspaper Die Welt goes as far as saying that this is the most unprofessional behaviour you could expect from an opera star. No replacement  has yet been announced.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:57:20 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #764 on: July 04, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »
Star tenor Roberto Alagna has cancelled his role debut as Lohengrin at this year’s Bayreuth Festival. .... No replacement  has yet been announced.
Well, the replacement has been found. It’s Piotr Beczala, who already debuted the role under Thielemann in Dresden last year IIRC.  He’s been released from an engagement at the Granada Festival next Friday (July 6), where he was set to sing French arias under Pablo Heras-Casado, in order to be able to attend the rehearsals sin Bayreuth. The Granada program has been changed, and the wonderful pianist Francesco Piemontesi has stepped in and will play the Ravel Concerto in G. I guess everyone ends up winning: the Granada program seems more attractive to me—but anyone not happy with the change can ask for a reimbursement—, and Bayreuth gets a solid tenor who already knows the role. Only Mr. Alagna’s image comes out tarnished from this affair... ::)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:57:43 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #765 on: July 04, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
I may be wrong, but I’m not sure Alagna would have managed the opera’s conclusion where, at the end of a long evening he has to sing Mein lieber Schwan, with its high tessitura and soft tones.