Author Topic: Favourite Tenor  (Read 14039 times)

Offline Xenophanes

Re: Favourite Tenor
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:04 AM »
There's nothing lacking in Gigli's breathing in this aria or anywhere else. Magda Olivero talks about his exceptional breath control in "Great Singers of the 20th Century".

Lemishev is perhaps a bit more full voiced in places in this aria than other singers of that era but still very fine and expressive. His fil di voce leaves nothing to be desired:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vb8PdrQsyQ

ZB

Absolutely.  Many other great singers took their breaths in the same places Gigli did.

I love the Lemeshev clip.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
Absolutely.  Many other great singers took their breaths in the same places Gigli did.

Absolutely. Aspirates are in the same place (the vocal line more or less dictates it). Whether you hear them or not is more to the point.

Callas vetoed the release of one of Dalila's arias on the premise that it displayed "unmusical breathing" (according to the EMI notes IIRC).

I love the Lemeshev clip, too. It's by Lemeshev after all !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:19:11 PM by André »

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »

Callas vetoed the release of one of Dalila's arias on the premise that it displayed "unmusical breathing" (according to the EMI notes IIRC).

It was the aria mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix, which was only released after her death. Saint-Saens indicates the phrases Ah reponds a ma tendresse and Verse moi, verse moi l'ivresse to be sing in one breath, though almost every singer I have ever heard adds another reponds so they can take a breath in the middle of the phrase and breathes again before the repetition of verse. Callas sings both occurrences of Reponds a ma tendresse in one breath, but the second time she sings Verse moi, verse moi l'ivresse, she takes a quick, barely unnoticeable, breath between moi and verse which, given the comma, seems musically acceptable to me. Evidently not to Callas.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas