Author Topic: Canons; or, Dude!That Echo-Plex is Awesome!  (Read 1001 times)

snyprrr

Canons; or, Dude!That Echo-Plex is Awesome!
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:50 PM »
Canons.

Canons are what happen when you play...say, a five note melody... and then, after a tiny time lapse, the melody plays again. Most people will know this phenomenon as the "echo" that can be found throughout modern pop music. Les Paul invented the tape delay... I believe in the very late '40s, where he played a bass phrase, and as it repeated through the tape delay, he would vamp over this bass figure.

But, the "echo" has been around forever, of course. And, from Bach to Webern, it has been a favored technique of composing music.

I have always loved "echo", and have used it whilst playing guitar. Lately, I've been trying to get to the bottom of the "echo", and I've been trying to compose some "canons" that will work out well in public performance. So far, I have what I feel is a good "Les Paul sound", with two separate delays, one short, and one, phrase length (it works in 3/4 time). This way, I am able to play one-half of an accompany figure, and then I play one-half of a lead figure, and it sounds like two people playing!

So, I'm curious, all you composers out there, do you have any techniques in writing canons? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :P haha...

ChamberNut

Re: Canons; or, Dude!That Echo-Plex is Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:02:51 AM »
My top 3 are (in order):

My wife's

My camera

The Chicken Cannon on the Royal Canadian Air Farce.