Author Topic: Havergal Brian.  (Read 514871 times)

Offline Maestro267

Re: Havergal Brian.
« Reply #7260 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:26 AM »
And news is that the Naxos CD to contain Symphonies Nos. 8, 26 and ? (can't remember) will be released in October.

Hmm. Bit longer wait than I was expecting, but at least we have a date. Plenty of time for me to pick up some more of the already-released discs.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #7261 on: March 07, 2017, 05:38:20 AM »
Add that to the forthcoming releases of another Holbrooke cd from Cpo,and Sacheverell Coke Piano Concertos from Hyperion,and I should have plenty of time to save for the new cd!! ::) :)
By the way,the Faust fund appears to have stopped at just over 90% of it's target. So near,so far?!! :( :( :(

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Wagner, Brian, Bax, Dyson, Delius...
« Reply #7262 on: March 07, 2017, 06:14:33 AM »
It's just a matter of time. I think the goal will be reached eventually.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7263 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »
Ordered two more Brian discs today. Symphonies 10 & 30, Concerto for Orchestra and English Suite No. 3 (RSNO/Brabbins), and Symphonies Nos. 6, 28, 29 & 31 (Russian State SO/Walker). It's mainly a case of plugging in small gaps now. Nos. 6 & 10 are the only ones missing of the first 12 in my collection.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7264 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
Then you're in for a treat - 6 and 10 are among the best.

P.S. Those discs you ordered are excellent!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7265 on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »
Then you're in for a treat - 6 and 10 are among the best.

P.S. Those discs you ordered are excellent!

I've heard both before, No. 6 in the Radio 3 performance last year, and parts of No. 10 in the Unknown Warrior documentary on Youtube.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7266 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
Please report back when you have listened to the two discs!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #7267 on: March 18, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
I've heard both before, No. 6 in the Radio 3 performance last year, and parts of No. 10 in the Unknown Warrior documentary on Youtube.

Unknown Warrior documentary? Link?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #7268 on: March 18, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
Unknown Warrior documentary? Link?

Great to see the grand old man himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7_wiFeDIU
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #7269 on: March 18, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7270 on: March 22, 2017, 03:50:15 AM »
Ordered two more Brian discs today. Symphonies 10 & 30, Concerto for Orchestra and English Suite No. 3 (RSNO/Brabbins), and Symphonies Nos. 6, 28, 29 & 31 (Russian State SO/Walker). It's mainly a case of plugging in small gaps now. Nos. 6 & 10 are the only ones missing of the first 12 in my collection.

Both these discs have now arrived. Currently listening to No. 10 as I write. The "calm before the storm" section (c. 4-5 mins in) sent shivers down my spine in only the way that the pre-storm moments in Strauss' Alpensinfonie have done before. I also didn't expect the offstage trumpet. That's a nice touch.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7271 on: March 22, 2017, 03:54:05 AM »
I happen to have listened to no. 10, too, again after a long time. And yes, that utterly still passage remains very striking, and very poetic.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #7272 on: March 22, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
No 10 is one of the greatest - after much turbulence it arrives at 'a sense of hard-won yet lasting triumph' as I think Harold Truscott (also an interesting composer) wrote in that fine old Penguin Guide to the Symphony Vol. 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #7273 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
No 10 is one of the greatest - after much turbulence it arrives at 'a sense of hard-won yet lasting triumph' as I think Harold Truscott (also an interesting composer) wrote in that fine old Penguin Guide to the Symphony Vol. 2.

It remain my favourite, as many of you recall that it was the work that connected to my experience working to help air crash victims and families. It has special meaning to me.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7274 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:19 PM »
Another little element to Havergal Brian's music I enjoy is his tendency to let cymbal crashes ring out at the end of movements, even after the other instruments stop playing. This is most notable in the 7th Symphony, where each movement ends with a resonating cymbal, bell or tam-tam strike. The Symphony No. 30 ends with this effect too, with the cymbals and tam-tam left sounding after the bare-fifth B flat chord ends.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7275 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »
Well-listened. The 7th is indeed remarkable in that respect, with every movement ending that way. The 8th and 12th also end with a gong-stroke, soft in the former, loud in the latter.

Offline Maestro267

« Reply #7276 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
The key in which the Seventh ends was also quite unexpected on first listen, from this listener's point of view. Brian's a fantastic, colourful writer for percussion.

And while I'm here, this week's purchases takes my Brian symphony total up to 24/32. I just need Nos. 13, 16, 18, 21-24 and 26 to complete the set now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:43:44 PM by Maestro267 »

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7277 on: March 22, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
The key in which the Seventh ends was also quite unexpected on first listen, from this listener's point of view. Brian's a fantastic, colourful writer for percussion.

Yes, that final chord is magical. Brian is endlessly inventive. It remains a mystery he still hasn't really broken through, hearing his music live is such an invigorating experience. In 1987 I was in Liverpool, at the Philharmonic Hall, to hear the Seventh 'in the flesh'. I can still remember it.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
    • JZH Text Services
« Reply #7278 on: March 22, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
And while I'm here, this week's purchases takes my Brian symphony total up to 24/32. I just need Nos. 13, 16, 18, 21-24 and 26 to complete the set now.

Very good!

Offline relm1

« Reply #7279 on: March 22, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Sorry if I'm late to the party but did Faust ever get fully funded?

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK