Author Topic: Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)  (Read 59376 times)

Offline schnittkease

Re: Nikolay Miaskovsky (1881-1950)
« Reply #360 on: July 16, 2018, 07:45:22 PM »
At the other end 13 is my favourite - very moving and memorable.

Ditto. While Myaskovsky was able to produce masterpieces in a more conservative vein, it's unfortunate that he (in Boris Schwarz' words) "retreated into safe conventionality" - a sizeable loss, but at least he didn't suffer the same fate as Mosolov or Popov.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #361 on: July 16, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
Ditto. While Myaskovsky was able to produce masterpieces in a more conservative vein, it's unfortunate that he (in Boris Schwarz' words) "retreated into safe conventionality" - a sizeable loss, but at least he didn't suffer the same fate as Mosolov or Popov.

I don't know so much about Mosolov apart from the famous 'Iron Foundry' but Popov is a very tragic figure who drank himself to death. His phantasmagoric First Symphony is IMHO one of the only works which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony (Weinberg's 5th Symphony is the other one I have in mind). His Symphony 2 'Motherland' although more conventional is very moving in its wartime context and the last one No.6 is genuinely tragic with its references to Boris Godunov at the end.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »
At the other end 13 is my favourite - very moving and memorable.

I'm making my way through the quartets. I've listened to the 5th one (and my favorite) thus far. I can feel a strong mix of sentiments and emotions, many of them being pessimistic and desolate, but at the end of the day the works have been engaging.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:10:52 PM by SymphonicAddict »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #363 on: July 20, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
I'm making my way through the quartets. I've listened to the 5th one (and my favorite) thus far. I can feel a strong mix of sentiments and emotions, many of them being pessimistic and desolate, but at the end of the day the works have been engaging.

Pleased to hear this Cesar - makes me want to listen to them again. I always tend to listen to No. 13 but will especially look out for No. 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
Pleased to hear this Cesar - makes me want to listen to them again. I always tend to listen to No. 13 but will especially look out for No. 5.

I'm realizing they are worth listening with each listen with no doubts. I'm looking forward to listening to the 13th.